USA Triathlon
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 39m 55s
Overall Rank = 48/450
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 2/23
Pre-race routine:

Ate powerbar and peanut granola bar. Set up transitions, then spent about 20 mins on shore talking prior to race start. Spent about 5 mins in water to prepare for temperature.
Event warmup:

Rode bike from T1 to T2 (about a mile) and swam around a bit in the shallow water.
Swim
  • 21m 21s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

The start was a bit chaotic. The buoys were not in the water prior to start time, so there was a delay. We couldn't hear the announcer, so the race started with a lot of people still waiting around. I started a good 50 yards back from the start line and out of the water, which probably cost about a minute overall.

The swim went well other than that. I swam straight through, non-stop. I breathed and sighted well. Could have probably pushed a little harder, but wanted to come out feeling good.
What would you do differently?:

Try to pay more attention at the beginning. Start on time.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

Transition went pretty slowly, mostly because I had to gather up items and put them into a bag, which ripped. I felt like I wasn't really well organized. Took a while to get sand off because I sat in the sand to get wetsuit off.

Organize earlier. Run through transition. Remember that transition is part of the race!!!
Bike
  • 48m 51s
  • 18 miles
  • 22.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike ride went pretty well. I was passed by a total of 3 people, all on nice tri bikes. I managed to catch 2 before bike leg was finished and passed the 3rd on the run leg.

I felt that I pushed myself just right. I slowed down just a bit at the end to catch my breath for the run. The one down side to the bike is that when I was coming out of transition, I jumped into my pedals, only to have a spectator back out of a parking spot right in front of me. I had to pull out of pedals and wait for her. I probably lost somewhere between 30-60 seconds because of it. I also had a couple of spots where I had to slow because cars got in the way of me overtaking cyclist, most notably one section that took about 5 mins to pass.

Train harder?

Considering that I have a mid end bike at best that isn't tri specific, I feel pretty great about the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

Neet to work on transitions. I probably lose 2-3 minutes overall on my time because of slow transition. This time, I forgot my number belt and had to turn around and go back. Also had a hard time racking bike, because the seat is too tall to fit under the rail.

Need to get speed laces for shoes. Tying them in double knots takes extra time.
Run
  • 23m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Had a hard time breathing at a pace faster than 7:30. Felt pretty good coming into the run. Had minor stomach cramps.

Need to train more speed/intervals. Need to do more high intensity bricks next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Didn't really warm down. Rested in the end area for a few minutes, then walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming and running -- mostly breathing on both. Need to increase max VO2. Also need to get transitions sorted out better in advance so I can speed through.

Event comments:

The swim was unorganized. The buoys should have been in place early. There was also a lot of confusion as to which direction the course would go, whether it was deep water or beach start and when it would actually start. Once the race started, things went smoothly. I was happy that it was at a park so the kids could play while waiting.

Overall, I was very happy with how I performed. I still have a few kinks to work out both in training and on race day, but this wasn't bad for tri #2. I'm looking forward to next year's tri season!

Last updated: 2005-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:21 | 1000 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 97/450
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Sleeveless Speedsuit
Course: Course was a clockwise triangle. Most people seemed to think the course was measured about 200 yards long.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:48:51 | 18 miles | 22.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/23
Overall: 20/450
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Course was rolling from beginning to end. There was a significant wind blowing from the North. Course started at the swim area and went around Pineview Reservoir.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:23:58 | 03.11 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 70/450
Performance: Average
Course: The flat course wound its way through the town of Huntsville.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-18 3:25 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: West Ogden Valley Triathlon

2005-09-18 3:34 PM
in reply to: #248734

User image

T1
Subject: RE: West Ogden Valley Triathlon
Seriously, I would have killed the lady you had to wait for in the parking lot! You are very patient!
Nice job on the race! It was a beautiful day for a race, so I'm glad you enjoyed it! You did very well!

Victoria
2005-09-18 3:41 PM
in reply to: #248737

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
vmr719 - 2005-09-18 2:34 PM

Seriously, I would have killed the lady you had to wait for in the parking lot! You are very patient!

There wasn't much I could do. It was a little old lady in a handicapped spot. Plus, her car was bigger than me!

Thanks for the comments. I loved the venue, and it certainly was a perfect day for a race. I'll definitely do it again.
2005-09-18 3:45 PM
in reply to: #248741

User image

T1
Great perspective Glad you enjoyed it! I did the race last year and thought there was too much traffic then as well. Is that your last race for the year?

There wasn't much I could do. It was a little old lady in a handicapped spot. Plus, her car was bigger than me!

Thanks for the comments. I loved the venue, and it certainly was a perfect day for a race. I'll definitely do it again.
2005-09-18 4:46 PM
in reply to: #248743

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
I'm thinking about doing a short pool tri in American Fork next month, but I don't have any big plans. I'm going to work on swim volume and running speed for the next while then probably train for the Ogden Marathon next year.

My wife enjoyed watching Ogden so much that she wants me to help her prepare to do the UVSC Turkey Tri in November, so I'm excited about that. It will be more fun watching her do her first one than doing one myself.
2005-09-18 11:26 PM
in reply to: #248764

User image

T1
You two will have so much fun preparing together! Plus you can bestow all your knowledge to her! Maybe she wouldn't like that
I am not familiar with the Turkey Tri; I will have to check it out. Your plan sounds great; is the Ogden Marathon same as Top of Utah? There are a lot of good marathons here.

Congrats again!

2005-09-19 12:05 AM
in reply to: #248734

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race Foo! He doesn't mention it but notice he takes places in his division after only his second tri. Way to be. Glad to hear your wife enjoyed it.

Edited by UtahMan 2005-09-19 12:09 AM
2005-09-19 12:06 PM
in reply to: #248957

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
vmr719 - 2005-09-18 10:26 PM

You two will have so much fun preparing together! Plus you can bestow all your knowledge to her! Maybe she wouldn't like that
I am not familiar with the Turkey Tri; I will have to check it out. Your plan sounds great; is the Ogden Marathon same as Top of Utah? There are a lot of good marathons here.

Congrats again!

The turkey tri is listed on www.utahraceguide.com for November 19th. The link to the tri web site is broken, though, so I'm not positive that they are doing it this year.

Ogden Marathon covers much of the same road as the bike course at the Ogden Tri, but then goes down the canyon into Ogden. It's held in May every year. Top of Utah is in Logan and is held in September. I'd agree that there are a lot of great marathons here.
2005-09-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: #248970

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
UtahMan - 2005-09-18 11:05 PM

Great race Foo! He doesn't mention it but notice he takes places in his division after only his second tri. Way to be. Glad to hear your wife enjoyed it.

Thanks! I feel really good about the tri. I can't wait until next season when I can refine a few things, though!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Ogden Valley Triathlon Rss Feed