General Discussion Race Reports! » Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Port Republic , New Jersey
United States
DQ Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 25s
Overall Rank = 8/216
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast & coffee at home ~4am. Get in car about 4:30 and make 90min drive to race site. Get registered and set up transition.
Event warmup:

Very short swim just to loosen up a bit.
Swim
  • 34m 19s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

OK swim. Bit more bumping than I expected for a race this size, but nothing too bad. Got a little bit of draft going on the way out, but took a different angle than most of the swimmers on the way back and was basically solo.
What would you do differently?:

Try to saty in the draft longer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

22nd OA T1 time. Should have been a little faster, but once again had a bit of trouble getting my wetsuit off my feet.
Bike
  • 2h 30m 30s
  • 58 miles
  • 23.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Settled in quickly and started riding steadily. Quickly passed several bikers and then picked off a few others very gradually over the course of the ride. Was passed by one and could not go with him (not sure if he was in the tri or aqua bike). Most of the ride was done on my own with very few riders around me.

Back got a little uncomfortable towards the latter stages of the ride. I don't have the chance to stay completely aero on my training rides and this was a 100% aero course. It may have shown that there's an issue with my position that doesn't show up in training. Not 100% sure.

Used a 900cal bottle of Infinit and water for nutrition. Seemed like enough on the bike. But with the sun coming out on the run, in hindsight, I wish I had pushed my intake up a little bit during the ride.

I was a little disappointed in this ride in that I felt like I had to hold my power below levels I do in training in order to keep my RPE in check. My thoughts are that either the swim is taking more out of me than it should or that my position is not as comfortable as it should be. Things I'll try work on for next season. That said, my time and placement relative to a couple other riders I know seemed about right.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

6th OA T2. Got in. Got out.
Run
  • 1h 54m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Was planning to run in the 7:30 neighborhood. First mile was a little faster, though that's fairly typical for me. Next 3 were right about on target and I had moved up into 3rd or 4th place, but then began to slow a little. And then a lot as I started doing some walking. The sun was out from behind the morning clouds now and it was pretty hot. Also, my legs just felt 'spent'. Tried to run as much as possible and only walk when I 'had' to. Unfortunately, I 'had' to quite a bit.

Get my swim & bike fitness back to the point where I can hold my pacing. I 'should' have gone at bit easier in those legs to account for my current fitness. but I'm a bit pig-headed and will probably keep doing this until I get my fitness to where I want it to be. :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the water and took a dip to cool-down. Tried to avoid massively cramping up in my legs and feet.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness level not up where my head thinks it should be.

Event comments:

Really like this venue (Jersey Genesis sprint race is held here, too) and field size. Race is also timed well for me, so there's a good chance I'll be back again next year.

Last updated: 2011-09-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:19 | 1931 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 25/216
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Out and back
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:45
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:30:30 | 58 miles | 23.12 mile/hr
Overall: 4/216
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps of out/loop/back. Basically flat.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:54:05 | 13.1 miles | 08m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 30/216
Performance: Bad
Course: Two loops. Basically flat.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-19 11:11 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon

2011-09-19 1:26 PM
in reply to: #3692097

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon
I'm a bit late to the RR, but sounds like you had a good time and fun race.  Hindsight is 20/20 but it's definitely fun to "give it a go" when you are in the mix.  I'm with you though...once you've done enough race and you know you can do X, then why not give it a go and see if you can do X-Y.  No guts, no glory!  (I say this now, but I may be cursing myself come November...we shall see)
2011-09-19 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3692097

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shoreman 1/2 Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed