Manitowoc Two Rivers YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 4s
Overall Rank = 11/214
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early in the dark for breakfast and final pack for the road to Manti. I like this little race. Small, organized, fun and FAST. I have raced this one before and really like the change of pace.

So I drank my goods- Caffe Latte, Pickle Juice, and Boost. Had the ceremonial Pop Tart and just drove the 50 mins to Manti for registration
Event warmup:

I biked a little , about 50 feet , if that counts. The real thing was to get in the water. I was debating no wetsuit, but the water temp was announced as 56 - definite wet suit day. SO I tossed on the suit, and swam for about 5 mins to get acclimated, cold but not bad.
Swim
  • 04m 13s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

For the first time I did not request the first 2 waves so I started in the 5th wave. This was just to make myself catch people in front of me.

So 3...2....1...

I trudged thru the water about half way to the first turn - it is very shallow here and I could have walked at least half way. But dove in and found a great groove. I did bump someone at the first turn, but opened it up a little and got around them.

I stayed true to the noodle line and just focused on my pull. The swim went quick, then again it was supposed to be 400 yds. I never realized how fast I went until I got out of the water. And saw my time. It is a best time for me. The real question, was this swim the same as before. My guess is yes because they use the same rope everyyear.
What would you do differently?:

nothing, it was my best swim at this event. I would probably have liked to start my watch to time myself to compare to the actual time
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

The run up from the lake is a little hike, but I was parked in the first rack and had a good spot to get out quick. Problem was I spent tooooo much time here. Suit was stuck, had all my crap to get on. Uggggggggh!

This felt like forever, but at least I did not forget my helmet this year like last year.

Maybe skip some of the junk - we shall see. I need the straps, socks, helmet shoes, etc, but maybe skip the garmin next time
Bike
  • 43m 6s
  • 16.55 miles
  • 23.04 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride is quick. Only 16.6 miles. The tough end was the start. I rode out along the lake and then the turn inland - slight incline and wind in our face. I kept pushing thru it to get out there as quick as I could. Being that I did not spend much time on speed this season, I did not expect to hit the PR on this leg today, but gave 'er.

I was a little skidish on turns throughout the ride. I was a bit hesistant because I did not want to skid out. Also, some turns were tighter with cones and crew there. Typically I would power thru them and fly. Not a great showing, but was happy to turn around and head home.

Wind at my back the final 8 miles and just flew. I watched my avg speed climb slowly. I was around 21.5mph a thte turn, but finished at 23. Doing some math puts the return around 24.5-25 mph. NICE. That felt good. I just hammered it home and loved every second of it.

As I hit town. I slowed down in front of transition and slid out of shoes quick easy and ran into transition for the run felling good

Not much but train more on speed for fast events.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

QUICK! Just the opposite of T1, this went fast and seamless. It was great. Popped off and on everything and just ran out the T2 into the run

nada
Run
  • 23m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

AFter Transition, I was pumped. I knew this run would be under 25 mins if I pace it right. There were not many people in front of me. I started with 100 people in front of me on the swim. As I was running alone, I started counting those in front of me up to the turn. I was holding a good pace - it felt hard and was smooth. I counted 10 people ahead of me with only 2 of them actually passing me before the turn. My goal was to know limit the number of those who pass on the way home.

Count them - ONE. That's how many passed me on the way back. I pushed it a bit more to hold it strong. I drank some water at the turn and dumped some there. Otherwise , I had one bottle with me to drink as needed. It went well. I got to the final stretch and had some left, so I pushed it in.

Push more and speed train a bit. BUT, this was the same time as last year being off by about 3 secs
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around adn got some water. I talked to few people and packed the car quickly so I could leave ASAP. Had to get home top the family

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of Speed Training, but still a PR

Event comments:

This is a fun little ocal event. i plan to return every year I can. I just love the noodle swim!

Last updated: 2011-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:13 | 400 yards | 01m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 11/214
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: The Noodle Loop turning left
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average