Ken Meyer Memorial Foundation
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drink coffee, ate Oatmeal and read BT. Also listened to an April Wine song that Max had sent me over night...Had the tune in my head the whole ride.
Event warmup:

Rode up and down the road in the little town of Glacier. Windchill was cold....Most people wore tights, rain/wind breaker jackets, gloves, booties.
Bike
  • 2h 19m 50s
  • 24.5 miles
  • 10.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Mass Start and the air was very chilly (sun was just coming over the mountains and lot of the ride was in the shade of tall Evergreen/Fir trees) Was not interested in getting all worked up to fight wind chill so soon. So I was in no hurry and it was into the sun. So everyone was checking up and looking left to pass slowing riders (just like marathons, people jackrabbit start and than fade).
Ride progress ok. I was in the last third (probably)after 10 miles.. I'm always in no mans land. Never can hang with the group ahead and no group behind catches me. By myself most of the race. A few people passed me and I caught a few. Stayed in second ring most of the first 10 miles or so. Some downhills went to big ring to get some speed and glide..Trying to save energy for the long climbs. As I hit climbs coming off my downhills glides. Really lost speed fast as soon as the ascent happened. Kept looking at my rear tire (is it flat-going flat? Almost stopped to check. but didn't) Did see 3 riders on the side with flats. First one was within two miles of the start.
Finally hit the long uphill climb by the Hwy Maint building. Tried to stay in second ring smallest gear/cog? Lasted for awhile. Eventually had to go to small chainring. Used that most of the way for the next 20KM..Average speed was 6.6-8.0 MPH HR was 164 ave depending if it was a switchback and if I was out of seat pedaling... Got to the final 3KM, which were the hardest. Being so close to finish, but you look up at the road above the treeline and see a couple more switchbacks with riders going up and mental fatigue really kicks in. Smiled at my wife with 500 yds to go, dog was straining at leash. Could have used him to be a sled dog. MUSH!
What would you do differently?:

I wish I would have driven the course first. Haven't been up there since Sep 2000. But that might have psyched me out some. I guess nothing. If I do it next year and to better my time. Will need to do some serious long climbs to build fitness for that event.
Be lighter in weight...Hard to be a Clydesdale.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode around the parking lot looking for wife. Got some bananas and Baker Cookies. Had to wait for all riders to arrive (one more hour) before they opened road to head back down. Walked around...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weight, conditioning for long climbs. Tried to stay in a comfort zone, didn't want to blow up..Now I really know how the sprinters feel during the mountains in the TDF. Just want to survive.

Event comments:

This was the third year, last year it poured rain. Sunny and cool, actually great weather once you got warmed up. Proceeds go to Bicyling advocacy and the Ken Meyer Memorial Foundation (Cancer). If the weather can remain decent in future years. The event should grow. Great challenge, great road conditions...
Great T-shirt and bought a bike jersey..Didn't stick around for the raffle and drawing...suppose to be alot of goodies to be given away.

Last updated: 2005-09-16 12:00 AM
Biking
02:19:50 | 24.5 miles | 10.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR ave was 162. I maxed at 173 (?) during the first 8-9 miles.
Wind: Little
Course: 24.5 mile ride from Glacier to Artist Point in the Mt Baker National Forest. Most of the ride is uphill with switchbacks (think of the Alp d'Huez). Excellent new pavement of asphalt, Road was closed to 4 wheel traffic. Some short downhills on the first 10 miles. Have to finish with 20 km of going up.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-18 6:50 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb

2005-09-18 9:00 PM
in reply to: #248822

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Subject: RE: Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb
Ouch! It hurts just to think about it - congrats on a great ride.
2005-09-18 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, Kentucky
Ouch! It hurts just to think about it - congrats on a great ride.
2005-09-19 9:24 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
Awesome quad busting ride!
2005-09-20 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
I don't have any pictures yet.  Wife was constantly having to fight with the dog on the leash...But the Website   http://www.ride542.com/hillclimb.htm    has a good sequence of pictures that show the route...
2005-09-20 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Wow!  Great race.  I was actually up there on Sunday and was wondering what was going on.  My mom, my sister and I went up to Damfino Lakes to pick blueberries.  That is a tough course.  I have driven up there many times.  Good job!

2005-09-20 10:11 AM

User image

Endicott, ny
Good race, I bet the hills in this race are bigger than anything around here in NY. Sounds like you had a good ride though. I know about being in no mans land because I always seem to end up there in the swim. I start out with the pack but I somehow drift toward the middle where there is no one really near me so it is harder to keep pace.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ride 542, Mount Baker Hill Climb Rss Feed