United States
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 43m 5s
Overall Rank = 307/390
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 59/64
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for this race months ago and planned to combine it with a road trip to visit some family in the area. Came down with cold/flu early in the week and almost cancelled the trip. Ended up feeling about 75% on race day but decided to go ahead and participate. Figured I'd take it "easy" and just get through everything. Stayed at the Hampton Inn in Frostburg on Saturday night. Left the hotel around 6:00, and got to the park with all kinds of time to spare. Since the field is so small, parking and congestion are really not big issues. Had lots of time to kill.
Event warmup:

It was a chilly morning, so trying to stay warm before the start was a bit of an issue. I wore an old pair of socks after putting my wet suit on and just tossed them in the trash before my wave started.
Swim
  • 43m 33s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was pretty overcast, so sun was not an issue. Lots of bouys for sighting. I started in the last wave and was relieved I wasn't the last person out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 08m 1s
Comments:

I think this is the slowest T1 I've every had. Walked up the hill, took off the wetsuit and talked with a few of the other guys. At this point, it was pretty clear to me that I was participating in the event rather than racing.
Bike
  • 4h 28m 56s
  • 55.7 miles
  • 12.43 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to finish the ride and get the brick in Westernport. I did finish, but I didn't get the brick. For me, the toughest part of the ride was the Wall and the rest of the initial climb up Big Savage Mountain. I made it up about 3/4 of last block of the wall and ran out of power for the final few pedal strokes to get over the top. Better luck next time! At least I unclipped in time to keep from taking a tumble! The middle section of this race is just climb after climb. Made it up Killer Miller without issue or too much trouble. The last 10-miles had a fair headwind, so that slowed things down even more. Incredibly beautiful, scenic course!
What would you do differently?:

Be nice to try this course feeling 100%!
Transition 2
  • 03m 42s
Comments:

Slow and easy
Run
  • 2h 18m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt nice and comfortable on the run. Treated it as a long run, and felt good the whole way. Walked up the big sand hill both times.
What would you do differently?:

Had a good time on the run and talked with a couple people.
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with the family and watched some of the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Getting sick didn't help.

Event comments:

OUTSTANDING RACE! This is one tough course, but it is Savageman! The only real hills I've riden before this race were at the Branson 70.3 and the Silverman Full, both last year. Those hills are long, but they're not steep. You can gear down and it's kind of like riding into a big headwind. You can get through them with no big power spikes. The Savageman hills felt totally different to me. They're so steep and long, you really have to put out sustained power for extended amounts of time to get up them. I rode a compact with an 11x28 and was wishing I had another gear or two. I'm not sure how much of that was me and how much was the cold I've been fighting.

This race is definately a great experience. Hardest tri I've ever done, by a long ways. I would highly recommend this race!

Last updated: 2011-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:33 | 2112 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 62/64
Overall: 361/390
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Swim course is a big rectangle. Beach start. Swim to the end of the cove and go around the turtle, swim back past the beach and go around the swan, then exit on the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 08:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
04:28:56 | 55.7 miles | 12.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 61/64
Overall: 330/390
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Unbelievable course. BEAUTIFUL and PAINFUL! HILLS! LONG and STEEP! Roads are in excellent condition. Downhills are as steep as the uphills and have quite a few hairpin turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:42
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:18:55 | 13.1 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/64
Overall: 253/390
Performance: Good
Course: Two loop course with a couple out and back sections. Not a flat course by any means, but only one really steep hill.
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-09-20 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Savageman Triathlon 70.0

2011-09-21 12:21 AM
in reply to: #3694234

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Subject: RE: Savageman Triathlon 70.0
Nice report and great effort to get through that race feeling under the weather.
2011-09-21 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3694234

User image

Regular
Great effort, especially fighting through the flu! I was lucky I didn't get sick until afterwards.
2011-09-21 9:54 AM
in reply to: #3694546

User image

Master
Fulton, MD

raidenolsen - 2011-09-21 8:47 AM Great effort, especially fighting through the flu! I was lucky I didn't get sick until afterwards.

You and me both.

To the OP, nice job!  Savageman is brutal, but an awesome race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Savageman Triathlon 70.0 Rss Feed