General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in a costume question, the hat Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-22 12:55 PM

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Running in a costume question, the hat
I am wearing a costume for a late October half marathon.   The costume includes a fabric hat on a regular headband (it ends behind my ears).

Has anyone worn a headband like this while running and did you need/want to secure it somehow?  It's too thick to use bobby pins.  I am considering either wearing a band that goes around my forehead (like a sweatband) to the back of my head to strap it down.  I am also considering removing the hat from the normal headband and attaching it to a stretchy band that goes all of the way around my head.

Come on, I can't be the only one ever to deal with this.  Any thoughts?

2011-09-22 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3696618

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Running in a costume question, the hat

Whatever you decide, do a run or two wearing it before the race. 

2011-09-22 1:20 PM
in reply to: #3696618

User image

Dallas, TX
Not a hat, but around Easter I did a race wearing bunny ears. They were on a headband. After a lot of trial and error, I put my hair in two tight pigtails and that helped to stabilize the headband. I did use several Bobby pins to stabilize it further. I placed them around the headband and kinda wedge it in that way. It stayed put the entire time, it was only 5k, but was the Warrior Dash, so there was lots of climbing and crawling. Bunny ears are very un-aerodynamic so make sure your hat is not to tall.
2011-09-22 1:50 PM
in reply to: #3696664

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Thanks!  kussmaul  = you give me the idea of making my pigtails go OVER the sides of the band.    I bet I can use my hair to hold it down. 

Yeah, I realize I need to practice with this... But it's so embarrassing!  I think if is really sucks I am okay with holding the hat until I see someone I can give it to or even carry it the whole way.    I am willing to run around the yard... maybe.
2011-09-22 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3696664

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

kussmaul - 2011-09-22 2:20 PM Not a hat, but around Easter I did a race wearing bunny ears. They were on a headband. After a lot of trial and error, I put my hair in two tight pigtails and that helped to stabilize the headband. I did use several Bobby pins to stabilize it further. I placed them around the headband and kinda wedge it in that way. It stayed put the entire time, it was only 5k, but was the Warrior Dash, so there was lots of climbing and crawling. Bunny ears are very un-aerodynamic so make sure your hat is not to tall.

LOL

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Running in a costume question, the hat Rss Feed