General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diagnose why my run sucked Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-09-23 1:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Subject: Diagnose why my run sucked

Today on my long run for the week (7 miles), I stopped at 6.25 miles into it to deal with a cramp in my diaphragm that had suddenly intensified. I had been cramping somewhat in various locations (stomach, diaphragm) since about mile 1 but was able to keep them under control by keeping my pace slow and breathing deeply. When I stopped, my legs felt like they were going to give out under me and it took ridiculous effort just to start walking again. Felt like I had 20 lb weights on each one of my quads. I've never had this sensation before so I figured I would turn to you lovely people for opinions on what happened.

I'm a pretty slow runner so my average pace for today's run was 11:15 so I whimped out of the run about 70 minutes into the run. I didn't think I needed to worry about calories on the run until 90 minute runs or so. I've been eating/drinking my normal amounts of food/water the past few days. Today was a little more humid than I would like but nothing that is unusual for this area. Should I start taking in calories early possibly? Eat more? Just suck it up and get better at running?

Background: I started running August 2010 working my way from a Couch to 5k program to a few 10ks last spring. I slacked on running milage during the summer as I picked up swimming and biking workouts. The past few weeks I've been back to focusing most of my time/effort on running. 

Running distances the past few weeks: 1, 4, 1, 2, 1, 3 (total of 12); 2, 5, 1, 3, 3 (total of 14); 6, 4, 3, 3 (total of 16). This week I was going for 3, 7, 5, 3 for a total of 18 miles. On my long run last week of 6 miles I felt great. 

2011-09-23 3:18 AM
in reply to: #3697302

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Diagnose why my run sucked

Sometimes you have bad days!

I'm not the best runner myself ... in fact I just posted the slowest overall run at Challenge Henley

Strange pains are not good when running, I've not had that many but when I get them it's usually my body telling me to cool it as I've been pushing to much. It's not supposed to be easy but it's also not supposed to hurt like hell.

I've no doubt that if you keep up the consistency and don't try to rush into high milage then you'll see long term gains that you could only dream of.

In the mean time enjoy the outdoors.

Rich

2011-09-23 4:25 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
That's a fairly quick increase in weekly volume over 4 weeks, especially without backing off after 2 or 3 weeks of building. I'm guessing you're just tired and need to allow your body some recovery time.
2011-09-23 5:30 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Best guess is fatigue, coming down with a virus, or dehydration. I've been running forever, and I don't normally get side stitches or diaphragm cramps; if I am having them, it's a pretty sure sign I'm getting sick. Doubt it's related to nutrition or lack thereof. Dehydration is possible if you're not used to heat/humidity--it can certainly cause random cramping and undue muscle fatigue. Were you taking in electrolytes as well as water? At your pace, that is a fairly long run not to be drinking in the heat. Finally, (I can't tell gender as avatar appears to be a couple), if you're female, could it just be "that" time of the month?? Cramping/fatigue definitely possible in that case!
2011-09-23 8:17 AM

User image

Runner
Could be a breathing issue today. Sometimes when it's humid out, I have a tendency to take shorter, smaller breaths, and lose my rhythm.
2011-09-23 8:32 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Some days, you're the windshield; others, you're the bug.

One bad run doesn't mean much. When it becomes a habit--then you've got something to ponder.

Edited by mmrocker13 2011-09-23 8:45 AM

2011-09-23 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3697503

User image

Veteran
St. Louis
mmrocker13 - 2011-09-23 8:32 AM

Some days, you're the windshield; other, you're the bug.

So true.  I've found that if I'm having a bad day physically a run will bring it out more, and harder, than either swimming or cycling will.  I would take a few days off from running, do some light rides and/or swims and get back to it next week.

2011-09-23 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, OH
Thanks for all the ideas. I have been having an overly busy week and not sleeping very much so I guess that could definitely be an external factor. The cramps don't really bother me. I know that I'm prone to them and I can normally keep them under control. I've just never had my legs give out on me like that and I would rather avoid losing another long run to just pure leg fatigue. I guess I'll just chalk it up to a bad run and leave it at that. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Diagnose why my run sucked Rss Feed