Ultramax Events
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 57s
Overall Rank = 107/975
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/51
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30, took shower, woke up kids, ate frosted mini-wheats w/non-fat milk, packed stuff and headed out.

Parking was nice, right across the street from the event. My two kids were volunteering at water station #1 so I had to check them in at 7:15, fill out waiver forms etc. Drove them to the water station location then drove back to parking lot just in time to get a little stretching and quick port-a-potty visit.
Event warmup:

They had some kind of organized warmup session, altough "organized" meant you come closer to the 3 or so girls on the stage and follow what they were doing. Jumping jacks, jazzersize moves etc. which I passed on due to my inability to move with any kind of grace.
Run
  • 1h 09m 57s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

My plan was to go out easy then try to hold a 7:45 ish pace and see what I had left with 3 or so miles to go. The start was a little slow, had to weed through a lot of traffic but I started near the back so I was O.K. with it. I checked the Garmin at mile 1 and it was 7:35 ish so I tried slowing it down a little. Got to aid station #1 where my kids were, spotted my daughter, yelled "hey squirrel", her nickname and she handed my my first cup of water for the day. Didn't see my son but water station 1 is the busiest and most congested. Mile two I was at around 15:13 and feeling good so I tried to hold it at that pace for a while. A little bit later we hit some descents so I picked up the pace a little, not too crazy then on the ascents I tried to return to my original pace in the 7:30-7:40 range. I checked the Garmin at mile 4 and it was around 30 minutes and change so I knew I was well below 8:00 pace. I checked again at mile 6 and it was 45 and change so I knew I was close to mid 7's and I still had energy left in the tank. That's the last time I looked at the Garmin. The rest of the way I just tried to run solid, motoring up the inclines and running strong on the straights. I took a cup of water or gatorade at each aid station during this run, I don't remember how many there were, maybe 6 or 7. I got to mile 8 and that's where I started to pick up the pace a bit. Not too much at first but I probably ran the second half mile of that 8th mile faster than the first. Then the last 1/3 mile I kicked it in.

Garmin Splits
Mile 1: 7:35
Mile 2: 7:38
Mile 3: 7:38
Mile 4: 7:28
Mile 5: 7:33
Mile 6: 7:34
Mile 7: 7:26
Mile 8: 7:32
Mile 9: 7:12
Last .38 6:36 Pace

I was surprised how steady my pace was.

The finish line was inside of the stadium so PLENTY of room for spectators, especially when your finish is shown on the big screen. After the finish you have to walk from the field level up the stairs to get your finishers glass, an engraved 16 oz. beer glass pretty cool. My kids were right there and saw my finish on the big screen, they got there just 5 minutes before after walking back from the aid station. That's the advantage of working aid station #1, you're done before everyone else.

Came back from the car with camera and spotted BT'er Jon (joncolbybohnsack) and also Mark (m.a.burghart).
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Coming into this race I was hoping for something in the 7:40 per mile range so 7:30's was a pleasant surprise.
Post race
Warm down:

After drinking some water, talking to Jon and Mark, we went to Bob Evans for breakfast. Yes, big fat veggie filled omelette and lots of coffee. Thought about going to Burger in Paradise but wasn't feeling the burger at that time, it was still 10 in the morning.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, duh, I didn't train for this race, just a throw-in after tri season.

Event comments:

Overall I think the race was O.K. But I only paid $36, after $5 FB discount. Got a pretty nice tech. T-shirt and engraved beer glass. My two kids got free game passes to Sporting KC soccer games for volunteering, can't complain too much. I think they ran out of food, although when I was over there there was bagels, cookies and oranges, I don't remember seeing anything else. I wish they would have chocolate milk and/or yogurt after races of this distance, I like a little protein after this amount of exertion.

I didn't stay for awards so I don't know how that went. I think they went 4 deep in the AG awards.

Photo taken by joncolbybohnsack, thanks Jon!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-09-17 12:00 AM
Running
01:09:57 | 9.32 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/51
Overall: 107/975
Performance: Good
Course: Race started and finished at LIVESTRONG Sporting Park, single lap course. Course was fairly flat with no steep hills to speak of. There were some long gradual climbs of a few percent. Worst was probably after mile 6 with 1/3 mile averaging 5% according to the Garmin but it didn't feel that bad.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-24 5:42 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: KC 15k

2011-09-24 6:29 PM
in reply to: #3699068

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
Subject: RE: KC 15k
Nice race, you are ready for the half!!!
2011-09-25 4:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Shawnee, KS
Nice race.  Agree on all points.  See you in 3 weeks.
2011-09-26 10:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
Nice running out there. Some solid mile splits as well. Good work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » KC 15k Rss Feed