General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Bloomington Women’s Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Iron Girl Bloomington Women’s Duathlon - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bloomington, Minnesota
United States
Iron Girl
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 01m 57s
Overall Rank = 301/1105
Age Group = F65-69
Age Group Rank = 2/6
Pre-race routine:

Drove down day before. Went to race talk and drove course twice. Bike course was NOT flat which I knew.
Got to race early - got a spot in ramp right next to entrance which was good. Met Peggy Trager, who won my age group. I recognized her name from her having done the Antartic Marathon a few years ago. Really fun talking to her. She finished 98/1105 on the bike and she's 65-69.
Racked and went back to car to keep warm. The temp was in 40s which is great for racing but I chill easily while waiting (I have very little insulation - haha)
Event warmup:

I was SO cold waiting for wave to start. I was shaking - jumping up and down to warm up. And I even had a winter jacket on which I dumped over the fence a few minutes before gun (and it was there at end of race). I had a GU Roctane (swear by that stuff) and water 15 minutes before gun.
They had the oldest racer - 73 - hold the flag during the National Anthem - that was nice
Run
  • 17m 15s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really pleased with my time. My Garmin was not reporting correctly so I didn't know my time until end of race. My fastest 5k pace is 8:56 so a 8:38 for 2 miles is pretty darn good for me.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

Long jog in transition to bike rack. Decided not to put on light jacket because I was warmed up now.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 20m 33s
  • 22 miles
  • 16.39 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was a mess with so many racers. There were so many times I was barely moving and could not get around a logjam of racers ahead. Very frustrating.
The hills were not as bad as I thought - certainly slowed me down, but nothing steep enough that I thought I wouldn't make it.
I was in 1st wave (50+ age). Normally I prefer to be in the last wave because I'm old and slow but I was glad to be 1st here because I knew there would be a ton of racers slower than I. The 1st loop wasn't too bad but the 2nd loop was terrible because of all the congestion. It must have been even more frustrating for the fast, younger racers who were in later waves.

I would be more aggressive Just go way left and get around.
Transition 2
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

Some confusion about dismount area - my fault - should know this before race.
Took off long-sleeved jersey because it had really warmed up.
Run
  • 18m 31s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Happy with this time. Did walk a few seconds toward end.
Post race
Warm down:

I thought my run was great and my bike bad but my rankings didn't show that (run 419/1105,bike 249/1105.
Great Breakfast Cafe - pastries, fruit, coffee, juice, sausage-egg croissant sandwiches, french toast, a really really delicious coffee cake.
Was able to go to car before awards and change clothes - but without shower felt pretty yucky
Sat with Peggy during awards. Won a necklace irongirl pendant and a jar of cashew butter.
Drove home. Met my husband in Brainerd for usual steak dinner. Only one dessert this time but stopped for chocolate and Ben & Jerry's on the way home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run went great. Bike course was too crowded.

Event comments:

Really enjoyed everything about this race except the crowded bike course.

Last updated: 2011-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:15 | 02 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 419/1105
Performance: Good
Course: Around Normandale Lake - 2 short inclines at beginning.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 02:29
Overall: Average
Run with bike?
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:20:33 | 22 miles | 16.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/6
Overall: 249/1105
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Rectangle through residential and some business areas. Double loop of 11 miles. Lots of inclines - very few flat stretches. One area went past some very nice houses which are fun to look at.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 03:09
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:18:31 | 02 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 385/1105
Performance: Good
Course: Same as 1st run - around lake
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-09-26 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: Iron Girl Bloomington Women’s Duathlon

2011-09-26 12:40 PM
in reply to: #3700588

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Subject: RE: Iron Girl Bloomington Women’s Duathlon
Nice RR! You rocked yet another race. Your run IS awesome!! And I hear ya on the congested bike legs - happened to me at Cap Tex, and I swore "never again." Also, when someone tells you it's a flat bike course, never believe them. You must see it with your own eyes. I've been lied to so many times by people who think that anything under a 30 ft ascent is flat. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Girl Bloomington Women’s Duathlon Rss Feed