Grand Prix Running
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 46m 17s
Overall Rank = 400/417
Age Group = 31
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing really. I had the jitters like crazy. I was so nervous. The race didn't start until 10 a.m. but I was at the race course around 8:30 a.m.
Event warmup:

I did stretch this time which made me feel better I think.
Run
  • 46m 17s
  • 3.2 miles
  • 14m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I did it! I can't believe I ran a 5K. I wasn't first, but I wasn't last either. And that was wonderful. The day was beautiful. There were about 1,000 runners. It was St. Patty's Day so there was plenty of shennanighans. Fun costumes, greem beer, people in kilts. It was great. I started out with a very slow pace. But I paced myself through the whole race and was able to finish without killing myself. I ran the first 1.5 without stopping which is remarkable given my run history - which is no run history at all. I started running five weeks ago and now I've done a 5K. I'm so excited.
I actually cried when I saw those orange cones. When the race announcer said my name the tears just kept falling. I couldn't believe it. I did it. It was such a great feeling to have everyone cheering for me. A lady who I had met that day ran the last block or so with me just so I wouldn't give up. I felt like queen for a day! I was so excited. Yeah doggies! We're rocking now!
What would you do differently?:

I would probably start at a faster pace. I was really cruising out there. I wasn't out of breath or anything. I think I paced myself right but I was probably a little to slow. But I had enough energy to run the last half mile. Which made me not come in Last!
Post race
Warm down:

Green Beer!!!! Oh and of course I went swimming!. 800 meter swim is the best warm down ever.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run pace was probably too slow to begin with. Though I think it was just right because I was able to run more than 1.5 without having any side stitches or even being out of breath. I stopped running only because my mind told me to.

Event comments:

I was surprised they still had food and water for me since I was so long in coming to the finish line. It was distracting to still be running the race while folks were walking the course going to the St. Patty's Day parade. And they also closed the streets while I was still doing my last 3/4 mile. So spectators and slow runners were mixing and mingling. So it was a little confusing. People yelled at me thinking I was finished with the race when I still had a 1/4 to go. I thanked the RD who incidentally was at the finish line to give me a high-five. And then it was off to the bar to watch the parade.
But I finished and I wasn't last and that's really all that counts.

Last updated: 2004-03-13 10:59 PM
Running
00:46:17 | 03.2 miles | 14m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 625/417
Performance: Good
Course: Concrete street on the west side of Colorado Springs. Beautiful view of the mountains. Ran from 25th street down Colorado Ave., to 11th street turnaround, ran up to 27th and then back to race start at Bancroft Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes