General Discussion Race Reports! » Central Valley Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Central Valley Triathlon - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oakdale, California
United States
On Your Mark Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 10s
Overall Rank = 7/15
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4am and got ready to leave. Made coffee and ate a whole cantelope.
I had prepped my bag the night before and put my bike in the car so it was easy to get out of the house. I took water, 3 bananas, and a muffin with me to eat in the car.

Nutrition goal: 600 - 900 calories before race

Last Oly, I bonked due to lack of calorie. Not making the same mistake again.
Event warmup:

Rode bike for 10 minutes with a short burst at race pace of about a minute. Jog for about 10 min.
Swim
  • 26m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Drank 100 cal of gatorade just before entering the water. Wore Timex chrono watch to keep track of all segments. This worked well.

Start is at the dock, in the water. 2 distances all start at the same time, sprint and international. 2 bouys out in the water, one close and one far. The far one is my goal and is placed a little to the right of the close one so I position myself all the way to the right in the start area. I'm out in front too. Mike Pirnat is there and he's doing the sprint. We take off and I run into Mike and another person who seem to be heading to the outside (right) for some reason and not taking a straight line sight to the bouy. I adjust quickly and head for the far bouy. I get clear of anyone pretty quickly. I'm pretty much alone the entire way.

My arms were a little tired after the first few 100 yds. I think the lack of consistent swimming since Ironman made my arms a bit weak. But in the end my time is the same as the last Oly, so I am ok with that.
My sighting seemed fine, but a little rusty. On the way out, the bouy was small from so far away and there was nothing landmark that I could use. I got into a place eventually where the sun was my sighting mark. That helped. On the way back, sighting was challenging. I focused on the bouy for the sprint and just tried to head slightly to the left of that. I may have gone a little too far left though as I found myself coming in at an angle to the dock that didn't seem right. The last 100 yds seem to take forever.

What would you do differently?:

I need to get the shoulder part of the wetsuit on a little better to allow easier arm movement.
Transition 1
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Got to try to leave cap, goggles in the wetsuit arm. Have not done that and I forgot today.

Some of the T time is due to the walk from the dock to the area. About 30 seconds of that.

I tried to get the suit off and put helmet on at the same time. That seemed to work.

Wore socks. Shoes not on the bike. Put on Garmin. No running jump on the bike. Walked to the mount area. Got going.

Practice mounting with shoes on bike. Try jogging to T1. I can shorten up the T1 time
Bike
  • 1h 22m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Drink more water. I drank 1 bottle of Infinit (200+ cals). But need more h20 to carry me through the run portion. Not enough water stations on the run.

Due to the hills, I couldn't get my goal to average 20 mph. I took the first 4 miles relatively easy got my HR down from the swim to Z3. Was Z4 at first.

Then tried to stay at Z3, but changed my strategy with all the hills. Instead, I took the downhills hard and rested on the straights. I caught a lot of people in the last half using this approach.

Left hamstring cramped up a little on one downhill burst of speed. Good thing it was already around mile 20 or so.

Prep for turn arounds better by getting into higher gear. Lost some speed when I slowed and then was in the wrong gear after the turnarounds.

Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Great T2. Fast.

Get out of shoes before reaching end. Practice jumping off of bike to speed up T2.
Run
  • 55m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot. Should have carried water and 2 gels not 1. Much better than my first Oly. No need to walk this time. Passed #2 in AG in the last 1/4 mile!

It was hot and hilly, but I could have done better at keeping cool and hydrated. Also I should have brought my kinvaras. No need for trail shoes. Much lighter shoe with less sole might have helped. Wrap the cooling towel around my neck to keep cool.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I believe I can improve my speed in all areas. On the swim, I feel that my stroke has gotten better, but I'm still not as fast as I can be.

On the bike, my leg strenght is much improved over last year, but I have never done a bike focused training plan. I plan to do this early next year.

On the run, I've improved tremendously since last year and feel I will continue to improve especially since I plan to BQ next year.

Overall, year to year fitness has improved noticeably. Compared to my first Tri in April 2010, this was fantastic when I compare.

Event comments:

Notes for next time:
-Carry water bottle and cooling towel on the run and wet myself ASAP on the run to stay cool.
-Try taking a GU at beginning of run and 1/2 way
-better gear shifting at turnarounds
-Sight to the 1st (sprint) bouy so I don't go too much off course
-Wear road shoes. This is mostly road (10% trail).
-Try shortening up T1
-Strategy for hills is to push on the downhill to minimize effort on the next uphill.

Wearing Timex was a great idea. Captured segment times well.

Last updated: 2011-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:08 | 1640 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 0/15
Performance: Good
Suit: Neosport Full
Course: Out to the bouy and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:14
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:28 | 24.85 miles | 18.08 mile/hr
Wind: Some
Course: Lots and lots of rolling hills. Wind in many areas. A few out and backs break up the speed you work hard to obtain. Course longer than supposed to be. Bike computer showed 25.4 miles so about 1/2 mile longer. Mostly smooth with some rough patches of road.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:55:48 | 06.2 miles | 09m  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: I think the distance was a little short. My Garmin says I averaged 9:25 min/mi on the run, but my official time indicates that I ran the 10K in less time. So I think the course was a bit less than 10K.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-09-26 7:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California
Subject: Central Valley Triathlon - International Distance

2011-09-27 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3701334

Subject: RE: Central Valley Triathlon - International Distance
Great job Enrique. Podium spot, first in AG, You the man. Keep up the good work
2011-09-28 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3701334

User image

Veteran
Sandusky, OH
good job on the oly!
2011-10-08 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3702907

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

The Trooper - 2011-09-27 5:57 PM Great job Enrique. Podium spot, first in AG, You the man. Keep up the good work

Thanks Gary!

2011-10-08 5:28 PM
in reply to: #3703335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sacramento, California

laurak11 - 2011-09-28 6:37 AM good job on the oly!

Thanks Laura!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Central Valley Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed