United States
90F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 07m 57s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my first 1/2 iron - I was suprisingly calm going into the race. The morning of the race, I ate a bagel and peanut butter along with some OJ. My stomach had been bothering me for a couple days prior and it felt a little of in the morning so that worried me a bit.
Swim
  • 28m 30s
  • 2143 yards
  • 01m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

The race was point to point so I basically just swam a straight line and got out. I had wished that I had studied the map a bit better for landmarks as I had no real sense of how far along I was throughout the race. When I looked up and saw the finish buoys it seemed so soon that I thought I was seeing things (my goggles were a bit foggy after all...). It was definitely the finish. The swim was over before I knew it!
What would you do differently?:

Try to pick out landmarks on the swim before the race (i.e. swim under two bridges, that kind of thing). Wear fresh goggles that weren't so prone to fogging.
Transition 1
  • 06m 57s
Comments:

I wasn't overly concerned with the transition times for this race. My main goal was to finish and not feel dead (or discouraged) at the end. Clearly I could have gone a bit faster here. I am honestly not sure what took me so long. I did put socks on which I normally would not do and I was about as far as I could be from the bike out so I had to run quite a distance with the bike. Who knows...
Bike
  • 3h 12m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.46 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really please with the bike leg. I had ridden the course twice with a training group but wasn't really sure what my time would be come race day. Generally, my rides had been in the 15 mph range so was guessing 3:30 to 4:00. The course was essentially flat for the first 17 miles and then goes to rolling hills. I took a water bottle bottle at one of the water stops. I had never done that before so wasn't sure how well I could execute the hand off. It was pretty easy, one of those things that made you wonder why you were so worried about it in the first place. I kept the gear in the big ring in front for most of the ride (which is unusual since I am usually riding hills) and maintained aero for probably 90% of the ride (also unusual for me).
Transition 2
  • 04m 57s
Comments:

Again, not overly concerned with time. I actually thought T2 would have been longer then T1 so that surpised me. I stopped to use the port-o-potty at this point.
Run
  • 2h 15m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good for 95% of the run. I ended up walking 60 seconds at every mile marker. My legs felt great at the end which is what I was hoping for since I am on track to do the B2B full in 4 weeks. The water stops were well stocked. Lots of ice, snacks and sponges in addition to water and IM perform. I was so excited to round that corner and come down the finishers chute! I was trying to look cool while I was choking back the tears of joy :)
What would you do differently?:

I had some GI distress somewhere around mile 11.5 through the end of the race and then for a few hours later. I am not altogether sure what caused it so that concerns me a little bit going into B2B. I am guessing it might have been the Ironman Perform drink that was being handed out on the course.
Post race
Event comments:

The only comment I had about the end was there was quite a line to get food and the offerings seemed kind of limited to me compared to other races I have experienced. There were potato chips, oranges and pizza. My stomach wasn't feeling any of that at the time. I really just wanted a plain bagel and there were none to be found. Any other time, I would have been all over the pizza so it could ahve just been the way I was feeling at the time.

Last updated: 2011-04-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:30 | 2143 yards | 01m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: Augusta is notorious for having a fast swim. It did not disappoint. The water had a fair amount of debris in it. You would constantly be catching a handful of grass or twigs. In the beginning you are swimming over what appear to be large bushes or trees. Kind of odd. I tried not to think of what might be living in those bushes.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:29 | 56 miles | 17.46 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:57
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:15:52 | 13.1 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Course: More or less it is a two loop course. It could not be any flatter. It could; however, be shadier ;) There is some shade to be had but not much which can make for a very hot run.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-09-28 8:21 AM

New user

Subject: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta

2011-09-28 9:51 AM
in reply to: #3703302

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta
great job on the race! Looks like you had a good day
2011-09-28 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3703302

User image

Expert
Alabama
Subject: RE: ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta
Good job, looks like you put together a good race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ESI Ironman 70.3 Augusta Rss Feed