Ultra Signup
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 52m 16s
Overall Rank = 24/200
Age Group = Dude 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/25
Pre-race routine:

bowl of cereal,apple and some tea. Drove 20 min to race site.
Event warmup:

Point to point. Took the first bus over (protip:never take the first bus). Race started at 9AM. Bus dropped us off at *:15. A group of us huddled behind 4 portapotties trying to avoid the wind. It was drizzling off and on, 40 degrees and very windy. 3 minutes before the start I took off pants and hoodie. Ran in shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt with gloves and a hat.
Run
  • 1h 52m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I have never run a trail race. I prefer to train on trails though so I was looking forward to this experience. I had never run on this trail before so I didnt know what to expect. It was a fairly primitive trail, not very wide. The scenery was nice. After the first mile on the park road the race becomes very quiet. Most times you are out of sight of the people in front and behind you unless they are within 30 feet of you. I passed one person and was passed by 3 the whole race. I twisted my ankle pretty bad around mile 5 but since I was halfway into a point to point I just kept running.
What would you do differently?:

The three people who finished 21,22,23 (the three spots in front of me) were all in my age group and all finished less than 60 seconds in front of me. A guy who looked like santa claus (with the beard, not the belly like a bowl full of jelly) passed me a mile from the end. I guess I could have pushed a little more but I was out to 1) have fun 2) not get hurt. Since I already failed with #2 I was just out having fun.
Post race
Warm down:

ate a chocolate chip muffin and some oranges and drove home

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didnt really train for a half but I was in good enough shape to complete one.

Event comments:

If you need a garmin, aid stations every mile and nice flat even pavement this race is NOT for you. If you like nature, challenging physical terrain and a bunch of crazy people playing outside on a cold blustery autumn day then definitely do this race.

Last updated: 2011-09-28 12:00 AM
Running
01:52:16 | 13.1 miles | 08m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 24/200
Performance: Average
Course: A run around Caesar Creek Lake. The start is 1 mile on a paved road to the trail head. The rest of the course (except for some very small sections) are a single/double trail track. Very technical in sections with steep ascents, skinny muddy descents, stream crossings, twisty turny trail paths and many hidden rocks and roots.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?