General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rockwall, Texas
United States
Life Time Fitness Athletic Events
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 3s
Overall Rank = 153/617
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/32
Pre-race routine:

coffee, clif bar, drove to race with Jeff and John. set up transition then went back to car to get wetsuit when I heard it was wetsuit legal.
Event warmup:

None as usual, maybe I ought to warm up sometime.
Swim
  • 28m 39s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started near the front right thought I had good sighting line, kept having swimmers veer to the right in my path on the way out. Had a hard time finding anyone I could draft behind. Started catching the next age group before the first bouy and then would run into packs of them along the way. Best swim so far I think but still sub par.
What would you do differently?:

maybe start swimming with a masters group, this is definately a limiter.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

Long run from swim exit to top tier of transition. Wetsuit off fairly quickly, bike off rack quickly, then long run back down to T1 exit. shoes pre clipped

nothing, happy with this transition.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 25s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.31 mile/hr
Comments:

First race on new bike. Still not set up the way I would like, might need to replace seat and raise it a bit.

Keep working on hill training. Ride more often I think I have good room for improvement here.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

I got out of shoes way to early and had a serious climb before descending to transition. At least I was able to pass some getting out of their shoes later. Could not do a flying dismount due to descending hill and turn before dismount line. All else went fine except took a few more seconds then usual to get bike racked as aerobar bottle got in the way.

Nothing, happy with T2
Run
  • 45m 8s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

As soon as I crested the hills out of transition my garmin battery died. I now realize how much I rely on it for pacing to HR. Found a guy that seemed to be keeping pretty good pace and just kept up with him. Had plenty left in the tank for a good kick at the end so I may not have pushed it hard enough.

figure out what the problem with the Garmin is. Was charged over night, might have put it into training mode to early when setting up transition.
Post race
Warm down:

gatorades, turkey sandwich, muscle milk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Since this was my first olympic distance race I'm not going to get down on myself to much. First race I didn't podium but there was lots of good competition and it was a new distance for me.

Event comments:

Great venue, lots of volunteers, lots of participants, great post party with band.

Last updated: 2011-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:39 | 1640 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 227/617
Performance: Average
Suit: sleevless wetsuit
Course: u shape, leave dock, finish up boat ramp
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:13:25 | 24.85 miles | 20.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/32
Overall: 166/617
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: I thought the lowest gear and big chain ring would be OK getting up the hill out of transition, really had to mash the pedals to get up first hill, then rode so long with feet on top of pedals had issues getting feet in shoes and staying up to speed, once again pulled strap completely out of grommet and had to get it reinserted. Steep initial hill out of transition, then rolling hills, 1 mi loop at turn that included nice hill into the wind. some intersections were a little hairy due to road construction, had to slow down for a pickup on the sourse going over I-30 bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:45:08 | 06.21 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/32
Overall: 143/617
Performance: Good
Course: Hills going out, steep right out of transition, mostly descending coming back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-10-02 7:57 PM

User image

DFW, Tejas
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course

2011-10-03 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3708478

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course
Congrats on a very solid 1st OLY!  I have a feeling there will be many more to come with many podium finishes in your future.  On the garmin....not sure how old yours is, but just had to replace my 5 y/o one due to battery life.   
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed