General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
39F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 3s
Overall Rank = 34/96
Age Group = Ladies 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up and got showered. I was fortunate to have cowbell for this race who made me poptarts and got the bike rack on the car and loaded the bike rack so all I had to do was get dressed and we were out the door. Thanks RunningFlyr, not only are you my ftp, but you are also supreme when it comes to cowbell
Event warmup:

Got to transition and found my Triathlon Parents, we were all set up closely together so got set up and talked to them while we waited on our friends P and MA. MA was doing her very first triathlon so we wanted to make sure we were there to help her get set up. She arrived and we got her set up and then we all stood around huddled over trying to stay warm. Finally about 15 before the start got my wetsuit on and walked down to the water with MA. It was so cold (38* was the air temperature) that by the time we got down to the beach my feet were aching from the cold and every step on the sand felt like I was walking on glass. Got in the water which felt good on the feet at first (Water temp 66*) but then I dunked in and the water filled my wetsuit and I was freezing. What do you do when you're in a wetsuit and cold? Yup, I remedied that problem by trying to warm up the lake. Took a few strokes and then sat in the water out of the wind until time to walk back up to the beach and start.
Swim
  • 22m 18s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the toughest swim I have ever done in a race due to the conditions. The swim was miserable, for pretty much everybody. The current/chop was high, I got several mouth fulls of water which lead me to wonder what type of parasite might be growing in my stomach now as a result and the sun coupled with the chop pushing me all over the place made siting and navigation almost non-existent. I probably swam an extra 25 meters or so because I was zig-zagging all over the place. I felt bad for the folks doing the half who had to swim it twice, phat props to those peeps under these miserable conditions.
What would you do differently?:

I suppose I could have tried siting more or realized sooner that my normal method of siting in my role wasn't going to work and switched to breast stroke every now and then to site, but whatever.
Transition 1
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

So in looking at this transition time you would think this is really slow, but by comparison actually this was super speedy. It was cold, did I mention that yet? So I took the time to actually dry off. I had made the decision before the race to swim in just my shorts and sportsbra under my wetsuit because my new tri-top is a little slow in drying and I didn't want it dripping on me the entire race. So I got my wetsuit off, then towel dried my hands, feet, legs and got my tri top on and then a long sleeve tech shirt over that and then towel dried my hair as best I could before putting my helmet on.

Nothing, I think I maximized as much as I could here and the precautions I took were well worth it.
Bike
  • 44m 51s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 16.59 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was windy, but that is nothing to be surprised about in this race. Deer Creek is always windy especially in the fall. I tried to push as hard as I could to keep my speed above 16 mph in the headwinds, I wasn't always successful but made sure to capitalize the two stretches where we had tail winds. The worst part of this ride was there was a half mile section that was "chip and sealed" - uh huh, yeah, NOT! It was straight up gravel. I came out of aero into the drops and was barely able to hold 13mph because I was so worried about fish-tailing and all I could think about is how bad that would hurt especially because I was already so cold. Overall though given the conditions I felt like this was a pretty respectable bike.

Um, hmmm....train more?
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

This was actually pretty speedy considering my feet were completely numb, and because they were numb I had a hard time getting my running shoes on because I couldn't feel my foot going into the shoe.

I don't know, maybe not be a colder than the ring around a polar bear's azz.
Run
  • 28m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was a little crazy. I couldn't feel my feet until half a mile in and as soon as you turned the corner out of the park you were hit with a strong headwind across the entire damn section which sucked. Once I got to the turn around I was greatly looking forward to having that headwind as a tailwind to help push me back in but wouldn't you know it, the wind was not nearly as strong on the way back in. This wasn't a perfect run but overall I'm happy with it.

Run more
Post race
Warm down:

After crossing the finish line the first thing I did was hand my stuff to Runningflyr and take off for the bathroom - I had to pee! And I had had to pee since mile 8 of the bike but I wasn't about to stop during the race to go (and I don't believe in peeing on myself on the bike or the run -ewww). After the relief of finally going I got some sweats on and I met back up with Runningflyr.We hung around and waited for MA with her family and some of our mutual friends. It was a lot of fun to see her finish her first triathlon and to see how excited she was.

It turns out that while we were waiting they posted results and I managed to pick up a First Place in my AG - sweet! I felt like I had had a pretty good race but wasn't expecting that especially since the primary reason that I felt like I had a good race was because it seemed so short (since the last race was the Rev3 Half). It was a nice way to end the season.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ehh, I could say that the half marathon I did last weekend factored in but, meah, I was out there to have fun and go hard one last time before going into the winter months. I did both things I set out to do, I went hard and I had fun.

Last updated: 2011-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:18 | 1056 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/10
Overall: 0/96
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangle with the long sides parallel to shore. Shallow water swim up to the first buoy and then turn out and swim back down in the deep.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:51 | 12.4 miles | 16.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/10
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Around the rural roads of Deer Creek
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:28:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/10
Performance: Average
Course: Run out across the damn, turn around and come back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2011-10-03 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon

2011-10-03 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3709377

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon
Congratulations.

And thanks for the report. It confirmed my decision to stay home.

Wimpily yours,
JC

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed