Esprit Montreal
63F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 25m 11s
Overall Rank = 215/299
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 29/36
Pre-race routine:

Had a waffles and juice for breakfast, slowly gathered up all my gear, the race only started at 1:20. Put gear in the car, kids, wife headed out to the race. Ate a banana and a peach about 12:00
Event warmup:

Stood around talking with a friend, discussing his swim start stratage. Dawned cap and goggles, waded onto the water waist deep and did the big circle thing with my arms while sizing up the competition. My plan was to start to the far right and work my way across the field to the left and join the group there, hoping that they had by now formed a sigle file line. As I stood on the beach, the real competitive guys were all bunched up on the left side and the guys who did not want any of the start mix-up were all bunched on the right side. This left me standin in a big hole in the middle at the front of the wave. Some guys with wetsuits were warming up but the wind was cold and I did not want to get any colder.
Swim
  • 12m 18s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

I think I would have been a little bit more agressive towards some of the swimmers (2) that I felt were not curtious. Back to the old water polo days. One guy who was swimming of couse kept trying to climb over me on my left side. after 4 or 5 time of gettin an elbow on the middle of the back, I just stopped and let him go by on mis merry WRONG way. The second guy that was swimming behind me kept touching my toes. Once or twice O.K it happens. Changed my course a little to see if the guy would follow he did, the I cut back sharp and the guy was off.
What would you do differently?:

Try to get a swim warm-up if the weather was warmer
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

All went well. Took my time and remmembered everything. did not have any equipment problems. I racked close to the swim exit. This made for a long walk in my bike shoes to the bike start, but there was also a lot of room around my bike, so I think this was a good trade off. The bike conjestion on the other racks closer to the bike entrance was crazy.

If possable try to rack closed to the bike entrance to save the walk in the cycling shoes.
Bike
  • 40m 16s
  • 20 kms
  • 29.80 km/hr
Comments:

Took the ride easy, I was saving the legs for 5 km of running that I never ran before . I was particulary watching the drafting. There was no ediquit for passing on the bike. Rider were passing left and right. The track was wide so it did not seem to create to much of a problem. I think I over dressed for the bike. I was a little cold comming out of the swim and put on a long sleeve shirt over a dry-fit. Most of the other guys on the track were wereing a short sleeve bike jersey or sleeveless tri top. I could have pushed it a bit more on the bike, I felt good going into the run. I also should have drank a bit more on the bike.

Dress lighter, drink a bit more. Push a bit more
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Took time to loose the long sleeve shirt and drink a little from the water bottle befor heading out. No problem putting on socks.

Nothing, I think all went well
Run
  • 32m 38s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 32s  min/km
Comments:

all in all I think things went well. This was my first 5 km run ever. I did not even run longer than a total of 6km in training,( 3km +3 km). I tried to drink water on the fly and almost drowned myself. This was the first time I tried that. I laughed my ass off for the next 5 minutes. I don't think that helped my time any. It started to rain on the last km of the run and it felt good. I was glad the run was during an overcast, cool day. I think a hotter day would of got the best of me. I finished the race as my son ran the last 50 m or so with me. A great finish.

Learn to drink during the run. Oh yeah, Learn to run........
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down. Gathered my gear in the pouring rain. backed up went home

Last updated: 2005-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:18 | 750 meters | 01m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/36
Overall: 44/299
Performance: Good
Suit: new tri suit
Course: U shaped in the race bassin. out lane 2 ,across lanes 3,4 and 5, and back to the beach in lane 6.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:16 | 20 kms | 29.80 km/hr
Age Group: 28/36
Overall: 221/299
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 4 times areound the 4.4 km track with the make up distance to and from the T1 area. Great tailwinds going down the back straight a way. But also head wind comming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:38 | 05 kms | 06m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 34/36
Overall: 275/299
Performance: Bad
Course: Short out and back along the dirt path to make- up the missing distance of one lap around the bassin.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 10:17 AM

User image

Expert
Montreal
Subject: Esprit Montreal

2005-09-20 12:06 PM
in reply to: #250115

Pro
Subject: RE: Esprit Montreal
Great race! I also had a guy behind me who seemed to be trying to swim over me. He was hitting me over and over again in the calves with what felt like his forearms. I suppressed the urge to kick harder! Anyhow, I can only hope to ever swim at a pace like yours.

It's pretty cool that your son ran the last bit with you, gives you that little bit extra at the end, eh?
2005-09-20 7:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice Race...you were flying on the swim!!

Sounds like you had a great time...great job. Smart strategy to hold back on the bike to have more for the run.

I was signed up to do the race...but decided it was to far to go for a sprint with the kids just back in school. I am considering doing the 1/2 next year.

2005-09-20 8:39 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
Excellent!  I agree, you must have been flying...or at least skimming on top of the water ... for the swim leg.  I have to get out to that site one of these days if only to check it out. 
2005-09-21 8:07 AM
in reply to: #250627

User image

Expert
Montreal
Thanks,  Don't froget to bring your bike.  I there are no events scheduled on the day you visit, you can ride on the track. 
2005-09-21 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

I did not know that you could ride the track anytime!  Next time I visit my daughter, I'll throw my bike in the back of the Matrix; she lives 2 or 3 kms from the track.

2005-09-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: #250905

User image

Expert
Montreal
Try to get there early if you want to push the speed on the track.  by 11:00 or so on a nice day the track start to get crowded with rollerbladers, baby joggers, and people out for a pleasure ride on there bikes. There is no bike ediquate either.  (i. e. stay right pass left.) People tend to fill the provided width of the track in groups.  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Esprit Montreal Rss Feed