TriMiami
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 27m 7s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 11/18
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition area, use toilet, meet up with friends. Eat banana, drink accelerade.
Event warmup:

Stretching and short jog.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 1584 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

About 800 competitors were ferried out to this little island with about 3 feet of beach. We started from the water with some wading out and others standing around waist deep. Everyone seemed nervous about the mass start but it wasn't bad. It was really neat seeing all the colored caps as we swam to the first buoy. It got crowded about 1/2 way out to the buoy and didn't clear up until about 1/2 way to the next buoy. Some guy swam over me and my hand hit his timing chip. In a moment of being pissed off I actually tried to grab it. (I hate when someone gets pushy in the water)
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. A lot of people complained about the currents and being off course but I didn't have any problems. The current was strong heading south and it seemed like I would never get to the buoy. Times were slow for most of us.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

Good transition. I didn't swim with my tri top and was worried it would get stuck while putting it on but there was no problem.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 31s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 18.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't start hard on the bike because I was planning to take it easy. After the trip across the bridges I felt pretty good so I started riding harder. I kept up my speed after the first 5 miles.

Get more serious at the start of the ride.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

When I reached T2 I was beat and actually considered not doing the run. It was so hot and I felt very thirsty. Then I figured I had spent a lot of money between race fees and hotel costs and kept going. Amazing what motivates me!

Have a better mental attitude.
Run
  • 1h 19m 29s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 12m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Torture!! After coming off the bike feeling so bad my first mile wasn't bad, even with the bridge - 10:15. The 2nd mile started off okay but close to mile 2 my mouth was dry and I felt dehydrated. Started to walk. It was close to 10:00 am and extremely hot, no shade and running on asphalt. I never saw so many people walking on an Oly. I walked and jogged for the rest of the race. The only positive thing, other than finishing, is that I ran from the base of the bridge to the finish line.

Drink more on the bike. Train better for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Sit on bench in shade near the water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I haven't been doing any distance running or long workouts. My conditioning is great for a sprint. The heat was nasty. More water stops were needed on the run. Some were more than a mile.

Event comments:

For an inaugural race this was well run. The only negative was the amount of water stations on the run plus the water wasn't cold. They got everyone out to the island and started the race fairly close to the start time. Everyone thought it was a tough race due to the currents, the bridges and especially the heat.

Last updated: 2005-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 1584 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 7/18
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Escape Island west about 1/4 mile to first buoy, turned south for about 1/2 mile, turned west to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:21:31 | 24.8 miles | 18.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/18
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops across causeway to Miami Beach which included one sizeable bridge and 1 small one. Headwind going across. My speed with the wind going down the bridge was 32+ and barely 22+ into it. Lots of bumps and potholes. I almost went into one but luckily missed.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:19:29 | 06.2 miles | 12m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/18
Performance: Bad
Course: Across McArthur Causeway past Parrot Jungle, the cruise ships, turn around at 3.1 and return. Steep bridge at about 3/4 mile.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: Escape to Miami

2005-09-20 12:46 PM
in reply to: #250210

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Escape to Miami
Way to tough it out on the run Bob...hope you are feeling good this week. Sounds like a tough run in the heat. All I can say is that If it had been hot at St A I would have been don in!!!! Take care -SMO
2005-09-20 3:38 PM
in reply to: #250259

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Escape to Miami
I think my place was 10th not 11th. There was a guy I know ahead of me with a bike split of 55 min and run of 40 minutes. That was faster than the winner. This guy is always way behind me. My theory is that he only did 1 bike loop and part of the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape to Miami Rss Feed