J & A Productions
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 11m 7s
Overall Rank = 208/301
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 15/21
Pre-race routine:

Arrived 3 days early for some business meetings and to scout the course and allow some time for my bike to arrive and be tuned and working. I swam the swim course on Wed, drove the bike course on Thursday night and got to see parts of the run at the Friday night pre-race meeting.
Event warmup:

Rode bike for 1-2 miles, swam several pick-ups before the open water mass start.
Swim
  • 35m 36s
  • 2310 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a mass start but it seemed much calmer and more open than any swim start I have taken part in. I put my self in a group of swimmers who claimed to be able to swim the course in 30-32 minutes. I got out to the first bouy and was feeling great. Completely in rythym and breathing with no problems. After checking my watch, I realized why I was feeling so good; I was swimming too slow!!! I picked up the pace on the last part of the course but still ended-up swimming 4 minutes slower than ususal. I would have been in the top 20 OVERALL if I had swam my pace and not got caught drafting on a slower group. My fault, I zoned out and just hung on for too long as my mind drifted to the bike and run to come...
What would you do differently?:

Don't go out so conservatively.
Transition 1
  • 04m 1s
Comments:

I had the "Strippers" pull off my wetsuit as I sat down. This helps alot on my T1, however, I spent too much time trying to get my suit and towel into the Swim to Bike bag for transport to the finish. Also, my bike jersey (pre-load with GU) was too hard to put on a wet body. I need a better tri suit and a fast way to load the fuel.

Nothing extra in transition. Faster getting wetsuit into bag. Need a tri suit with back pockets.
Bike
  • 2h 57m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt great the first 20 miles, even with a minor bike wreck as we exited the causeway. I took the corner too fast and lost my back wheel going around the corner. Luckily, my cat-like reflexes took over and I was able to absorb the majority of the fall on my leg and not an elbow or knee. I had a little cut on my arm (right where it rests in the aerobar) but the adrenaline made me forget about it after a few miles. The only down part of the ride was around mile 35-40. It looked downhill but the road was rough and I was having a hard time and felt stiff in my back and neck. I started feeling awesome after passing the 45 mile mark and cruised to T2 ahead of my schedule and feeling GREAT! I could have pushed alittle harder on the bike but I had no idea how I would feel going into the run. It was a great learning experience and I now know to go harder and it won't impact my run too much.

I am looking into why I was bloated and had stomach cramps. I added the calories and carbs and was exactly on schedule for my body weight. Maybe it's the brand of calories and/or carbs but I raced with what I train with and have never had an issue. Get a GU dispenser instead of openning each packet individually. I ran off the road while opening a gu, dropping the gu, a water bottle and almost going down hard. I don't know how I was able to recover and get back on the road. It was kinda like that Lance Armstrong ride through the field in the Tour several years ago. It just sorta happened.
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

The time was good but I could have changed faster. I spent a few seconds popping a few eduralytes and suffering through another GU.

Hold off on the salt and GU until the first aid station.
Run
  • 2h 32m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I guess riding the Cervelo P3 tri geometry made a huge difference to my legs because I felt incredile coming off the bike and had no problems with my quads AT ALL. My run was still slow compared to the average and only slightly slower for me than usual. I can typically run a half marathon in 2:15 so I was 15 minutes slower after riding and swimming. I can still improve in the run and will be spending the entire off-season working on my run and core conditioning. My plan was to run to each aid station and then walk through the station. I followed the plan pretty closely until about mile 8, then found it hard to run the entire mile to each aid station. I also flip-flopped with a few other racers and ended up talking too much towards the end.

Stick to plan and don't stop to talk to others who are walking. I could have pushed the run harder and cut 3-4 minutes of my "run" time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around for 30 minutes then slow stretching and hydration.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too conservative a race plan.

Event comments:

My first Half Ironman distance race! I felt alot better than I thought I would. I was definately easier than the Marathon, and I even felt this distance is easier than the Sprints and Olympics. I guess it's the fact that you are giving an effort at an easier heart rate.
I was very pleased with my effort and performance for my first HIM. My goal was to train for and do a Half this year in under 6 hours. My "A" race is in 5 weeks and I have already put in an effort at 6:11. Should not be a problem to cut 11 minutes off after this race.

Back to the race: This is a well run race, even though it has moved locations and changed course route several times. I like the final course and the way it all ran. They had some hiccups along the way but the management nucleus is their to develop into a premier race in the future. The swim was fine, the bike was beautiful and the run was the best course I have ever been on (training or racing).

Last updated: 2005-09-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:36 | 2310 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/21
Overall: 91/301
Performance: Average
Suit: Long john wet suit
Course: Upside-down triangle going clockwise.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:01
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:57:29 | 56 miles | 18.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 136/301
Performance: Good
Stayed well within my HR zone
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Flat overall except for one hill around the 40 mile mark. My computer registered 58.6 miles and I don't remember going a wrong way! I need to recalibrate my computer.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:32:10 | 13.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 257/301
Performance: Below average
Course: OMG beautiful and mostly shaded! This really was one of the most enjoyable run paths I have ever seen. We started on a paved bike/run path through the UC Davis campus, turned off onto a connecting mulch, shaded path, on to a dirt road and through a completely shaded and spectaculary beatiful arboretun area. Then we connected to the City's, hike and bike trail and went through parks and over and around streets. One area did have us going over an overpass that hurt (around mile 10) but once on the peak, the downhill part was a nice, long and easy decent.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 6:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: Caliman Half Iron

2005-09-20 6:36 PM
in reply to: #250545

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Subject: RE: Caliman Half Iron
Congratulations on your first 1/2 IM!!! I saw the course set up and with the cooler weather here you couldn't ask for much better.

I was supposed to work but had to back out at the last minute. Maybe next year! (to work not to run, but I'll cheer you on if you're back next year).
2005-09-21 2:27 PM
in reply to: #250545

User image

Extreme Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
I'd love to come back next year. It's a long trip but a great destination!
2005-09-22 8:24 PM
in reply to: #251214

Extreme Veteran
San Clemente, California
Great stuff Michael. Congrats to you too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caliman Half Iron Rss Feed