Duxbury "PAL" Police Athletic League, D.A.R.E. Pro
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 20s
Overall Rank = 222/436
Age Group = 4044
Age Group Rank = 33/51
Pre-race routine:

Night before: Chicken Noodle soup (for sodium).
Up and breakfast around 7:30 cereal with milk, coffee, banana, End. Gatorade. First wave is 11:30am. 9am packed car, checked tire pressures, went over check list. Feel good, feel ready. It's a 5 minute ride so I'll leave at 9:30am. Sipping Endurance gatorade all morning right up to race. My fan club, Lisa & kids, Mom & Dad, Sue and her kids will leave around 10:45 just before the first wave. They will watch from the Powderpoint bridge. I give the wife and kids a hug and kiss and head out. Felt the nerves kick in on the drive (fear of a repeat of Cranberry). Cranked the radio, tooned out the negative thoughts. What a beautiful day! The routine for this race is drive to the beach and set up T1, drive back to Duxbury high to set up T2 and then take the bus back to the start of the swim. At T1, I had a great spot, right at the exit. Jay & Sean were a few bikes down and I'm not sure where Chuck was. Headed back to set up T2 and got marked up. Had them put BT on my left calf just in case. (Never saw any other BTers.) No problems setting up, before I knew it, I was on the bus on my way to the swim start.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the swim start and met up with Julie & Chris, (Caroles sister and her work out partner), Jay , Sean & Chuck, and Judy (a neighbor). Just before race start my kids and their friends came running down to the beach cheering with "Go Dad!" signs. It was great. My mom took a picture of the whole gang together. Then it was time to go. I went and did a brief warm up swim and then Brian (RD) started with his bull horn. Game on!
Swim
  • 18m 35s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Glad I did the warm up, because it was cold and it would have been a shock just jumping in. There was a very strong cross current toward the bridge. The entire first wave almost missed the first buoy. Almost all had to do a major nav. correction. The 2nd wave adjusted by starting farther up the beach. I felt I was doing really well, but I've never felt the cross current as strong as this. Half way through the swim, I looked down and saw my watch drifting toward the bottom. Damn. I swam down and caught it! Stuffed it down the neck of my wetsuit and kept swimming. Didn't really lose much steam. Was getting bumped and kicked a lot. But maintained my stride better than usual. The rest of the swim felt good, but toward the end I could feel the begining of a right leg calf cramp. Exit went well ran the whole way to T1. As soon as I got up to the parking lot, my whole gang was cheering me on. Awesome!
What would you do differently?:

Get a better watch band. Learn to swim the right way. My time was dissapointing, but I think it was due to fighting the current.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Great transition. The kids ran over to me at my bike. They had left a great sign on my bike and were all excited. They then left. It was a fast transition, but they don't break it out for you. The only delay was in pulling my shirt down. It stuck to my shoulders and I couldn't reach it to pull down. I like the number belt. Just clipped it on and go. Then I have the option of taking my shirt off if I get to hot. Exiting the transition, on my bike, my cheering section went wild again. I am a lucky man!

Not a thing... Maybe figure out a way to pull shirt down quicker.
Bike
  • 48m 12s
  • 13.7 miles
  • 17.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Got off to a great start. Past my cheering section and started passing people on the bike. Felt good. Breathing was a little labored. Focused on getting into a rythm and breathing efficiently. The new pavement was awesome. Charged the hills and tried to take advantage of the downhills as much as possible. Watched my cadence. Tried to keep it high. Really felt good. Passing a lot of people and getting passed by some really good bikers. Right calf started cramping at 1/2 way pt. Damn! stretched it on the downhills and that seemed to help. Was starting to worry about complete leg seizure upon dismount of the bike (like Cranberry). Work it out. Drink more.

Hydrate more? Not sure. Spend more time on the bike for sure.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Another good transition. Bonus, Ted, Kristen and the babies and my uncle Ed and Aunt Mary (visiting from PA) watched me come in. They said after that I looked like I was in pain. I was focused on trying to fight off cramping. Shoes went on fast and I stretched quickly and ran.

?
Run
  • 26m 32s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My cheering section moved to just outside the transition area and I high fived the gang. Legs weren't so happy. Took a good mile to feel better.
I felt good and started really moving. But, the last half mile my legs threatened cramping again. I took it slow and focused on running efficiently. The runway came up and my kids were right there! I managed to pick up speed and finished.

Nothing. Took it slow to start. If I can figure out a way to not cramp, I could definitely go faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran a little bit. stretched a little. Not enough because the calves were might sore a few days later. Had a yogurt and some water. Took pictures with my family and friends. It was great, I have the best crew! Cheered the other runners coming in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Muscle cramping. It killed me in Cranberry and slowed me down a little here. I think increasing my salt intake helped, but not the cure. Got to figure this out. I'm thinking strength training.

Event comments:

Great race. They did a great job with this race. I can't imagine they get any better than this. They were a little short on volunteers at the end, but not a problem for me. I will help out here if I ever can't compete.
9/29/05 Updated time. Rec'd email from RD that 2nd wave was delayed :20 seconds. Just subtracted it from my swim and final times.

Last updated: 2005-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:35 | 880 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/51
Overall: 330/436
Performance: Good
Suit: Shorty Wetsuit
Course: Point to Point swim. The length of the Powderpoint Bridge across Duxbury bay.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:12 | 13.7 miles | 17.05 mile/hr
Overall: 206/436
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Good course. It was really nice. The one bad section they paved for this year. Rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 97
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:32 | 03.3 miles | 08m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 168/436
Course: Probably the most gorgeous run you could imagine. Mostly flat. One mild hill. All along the water. A great distraction from the pain.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-20 8:08 PM

User image

South Shore, Massachusetts
Subject: Duxbury Beach Triathlon

2005-09-20 8:27 PM
in reply to: #250596

User image

Expert
wrightsville beach, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Duxbury Beach Triathlon
Good job, Joe!!! Fighting the current and the cramps-again!!

Nice support crew you had, makes all the difference.
2005-09-21 7:20 AM

User image

Master
Bronze member
So glad you weren't sidelined by cramps- sounds like just about the right challenge overall for the day-some weather, some technical, some physical- all of which you dealt with well . Reading about your "pit crew" made me smile. Glad to see you had such a great day, Joe- Train On !!!
2005-09-21 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plymouth MA
Nice report! Way to go!!
I'm jealous of your "cheering section". That is awesome!
The current was strong! I found myself on the right of those buoys a few times.
I'm glad your cramps didn't get the better of you.
I agree about the course, it is beautiful and does help take away the pain. The nice new paved roads were great too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duxbury Beach Triathlon Rss Feed