General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CH Aero/Wheelbuilder disk cover report (pretty long) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-09-20 8:33 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: CH Aero/Wheelbuilder disk cover report (pretty long)
As some of you may know, I recently got a new rear wheel from Rich at www.wheelbuilder.com. I had purchased a PowerTap SL hub off ebay pretty cheap. Although it was new, there were two drawbacks: it was only 24-holes and it was a Campy drive. Replacing the free hub was possible, but was going to cost me $60 for the new body. The 24-hole drilling limited my selection of rims, especially since I need 650 wheels.

Rich at Wheelbuilder came very highly recommended by the guys at Velocity rims (who called him one of the top builders in the country). Not only were his prices for building the wheel reasonable, but since the hub was new and he built quite a few wheels with them, he offered to swap it for a 28-hole Shimano hub for no charge. Outstanding customer service!

I got the wheel last week and have taken a few rides on it. Having the power is great and well definitely aid my preparation for IMLP next year.

Tonight, I decided to take the disk wheel cover I bought along with the wheel out for a semi-scientific test ride. According to the scale in my kitchen (which may be of questionable accuracy), the cover weighs 380 grams. It attaches to the wheel using 8 plastic screws around the outside edge. Rich cut the cover to fit my rim and the PT. He can trim the cover to fit pretty much any rim/hub combo you tell him to. I rode for 15 minutes to warm-up, stretched, and then rode a 4.85 mile loop without the cover. I went home, put on the cover, and then rode the same stretch again. The cover attaches easily, although you do have to remove your cassette to put it on.

Here are the numbers:
1st run: Avg. power: 201 watts Avg. cadence: 95 Time: 13:25 Avg. speed: 21.6
2nd run: Avg. power: 186 watts Avg. cadence: 95 Time: 13:20 Avg. speed: 21.8

I think because my legs are still a bit worn from yesterday's 2 1/2-hour ride, I couldn't maintain quite the same power for the second loop. In fact, my average power was nearly 8% lower on the second run. Despite that, my time was 5 seconds faster on the second loop.

While it's a stretch to draw conclusions from a single trial, this anectdotal test shows a pretty significant gain using the cover. I plan on recreating this over a slightly longer course. I'll keep everyone posted. Pics follow...

Edited by dgunthert 2005-09-20 8:34 PM

(disk4.jpg)

(disk3.jpg)

(disk1.jpg)

(disk2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
disk4.jpg (32KB - 659 downloads)
disk3.jpg (16KB - 12 downloads)
disk1.jpg (27KB - 649 downloads)
disk2.jpg (40KB - 13 downloads)

2005-09-21 7:01 AM
in reply to: #250622

User image

Giver
Subject: RE: CH Aero/Wheelbuilder disk cover report (pretty long)

Wow...you used to see these J-Disc typw wheel covers everywhere at races, but never anymore. Probably beciase if you're gonna use a disk, Renn disks are so relatively cheap. But this solution for a Powertap wheel is pretty cool...

dgunthert - 2005-09-20 8:33 PM As some of you may know, I recently got a new rear wheel from Rich at www.wheelbuilder.com. I had purchased a PowerTap SL hub off ebay pretty cheap. Although it was new, there were two drawbacks: it was only 24-holes and it was a Campy drive. Replacing the free hub was possible, but was going to cost me $60 for the new body. The 24-hole drilling limited my selection of rims, especially since I need 650 wheels. Rich at Wheelbuilder came very highly recommended by the guys at Velocity rims (who called him one of the top builders in the country). Not only were his prices for building the wheel reasonable, but since the hub was new and he built quite a few wheels with them, he offered to swap it for a 28-hole Shimano hub for no charge. Outstanding customer service! I got the wheel last week and have taken a few rides on it. Having the power is great and well definitely aid my preparation for IMLP next year. Tonight, I decided to take the disk wheel cover I bought along with the wheel out for a semi-scientific test ride. According to the scale in my kitchen (which may be of questionable accuracy), the cover weighs 380 grams. It attaches to the wheel using 8 plastic screws around the outside edge. Rich cut the cover to fit my rim and the PT. He can trim the cover to fit pretty much any rim/hub combo you tell him to. I rode for 15 minutes to warm-up, stretched, and then rode a 4.85 mile loop without the cover. I went home, put on the cover, and then rode the same stretch again. The cover attaches easily, although you do have to remove your cassette to put it on. Here are the numbers: 1st run: Avg. power: 201 watts Avg. cadence: 95 Time: 13:25 Avg. speed: 21.6 2nd run: Avg. power: 186 watts Avg. cadence: 95 Time: 13:20 Avg. speed: 21.8 I think because my legs are still a bit worn from yesterday's 2 1/2-hour ride, I couldn't maintain quite the same power for the second loop. In fact, my average power was nearly 8% lower on the second run. Despite that, my time was 5 seconds faster on the second loop. While it's a stretch to draw conclusions from a single trial, this anectdotal test shows a pretty significant gain using the cover. I plan on recreating this over a slightly longer course. I'll keep everyone posted. Pics follow...

2005-09-21 7:56 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I am glad you post this! I'd been going back and forward about getting a PT (which I will), what wheel to get and where. Rich at wheel builder is been highly recommended by my coach. Anyway, I was thinking buying a PT through Ebay to save some money but I wasn’t sure if Rich would build a wheel for after getting a PT elsewhere.

Quick question: what type of wheels did you get? How do you like the cover? Do you mind telling me how did you pay for everything?

Thanks!

2005-09-21 8:50 AM
in reply to: #250767

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I got the Mavic CXP 33 rim and DT double-butted spokes. I didn't have a whole lot of rim choices due to the fact that I use 650's on my bike. Rich swapping out the PT I sent him for a different drilling really helped in that respect. I didn't get bladed spokes, because the only time they'd really matter is in a race when I'll be using the disk anyway.

The other rim I really considered was the Velocity Aerohead OC. It's about 100 grams or so lighter than the Mavic, but Rich said the Mavic was sturdier, so I went with his recommendation. Since this will be my train/race wheel, I wanted something that would stand up to a beating.

The PT on ebay was $800. The total bill from Rich was about $240. $70 for the rim, $21 for the spokes, $80 for the cover (the base price is $65, I think, but he charges for trimming it for the rim and the PT), $45 for the build, and then $18 for shipping. Turnaround time was only about a week.
2005-09-21 10:32 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
wow that pretty cool! ok, I am doing it... thanks!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » CH Aero/Wheelbuilder disk cover report (pretty long) Rss Feed