Salisbury University
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 12m
Overall Rank = /8000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was my 3rd time at the Seagull Century, a large and fun century ride on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. The past 2 years I have ridden it as a TT with rest stops, trying to ride as fast as possible. This year I was going to be taking 2 friends along, so I decided to ride with them instead. Little idea of how fast we would be riding. I also did not feel well prepared at all. I hadn't ridden outside in training since the start of August, and my longest ride of late was a couple of 2-hour trainer rides last weekend.

Up at 2:45 am after less than 3 hours of sleep. Left by 3:30 to pick up my friends and then drive to Salisbury. Not yet wide awake.
Bike
  • 6h 12m
  • 100 miles
  • 16.13 mile/hr
Comments:

This is an uncharacteristically short report, as I don't have too much to say. The ride was mostly easy with a helpful wind for the first 63 miles, then mostly rather hard with a rough headwind for the last 37 miles. Because of riding with friends, I was holding back almost the entire time. It got a bit frusrating, as I was hardly able to push at all, HR was lower than it would ever be in training (mostly ~60% of MaxHR). Going faster earlier, but much slower later on, when I was being passed by lots of faster folks who I very much wanted to be mixing it up with.
What would you do differently?:

It was good to do it this way once. But next time I'll want to push it harder, to make it more fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. I felt really quite fresh, given that I had just ridden 100 miles.

Last updated: 2011-05-31 12:00 AM
Biking
06:12:00 | 100 miles | 16.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/8000
Performance:
23.5 miles - 1:11:00 43.5 miles - 2:13:00 63.5 miles - 3:25:00 84.6 miles - 5:05:00
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Almost entirely flat. But the wind is not to be trifled with.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right