Carson, California
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 41s
Overall Rank = 32/
Age Group = 30-39M
Age Group Rank = 30/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, had a bowl of cereal, and prepped my stuff. Called my friend a few times to wake him up, then when he finally got up I picked him up and we drove over to CSU Dominguez Hills for the race.

Set up my stuff and got my friend to volunteer on the spot for the race. Made sure I had my goggles ready since I forgot them last time. Took a GU double espresso shot about 15 minutes before race start.
Event warmup:

Ran about a 1.5 miles to warm up, especially since it's a run start. I've learned from my training runs that it takes some time for my legs to get their groove. I hardly ever warm up except in race situations.
Swim
  • 04m 2s
  • 200 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a really short swim.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know what else to do. It was weird not pushing off the wall.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Since this is a reverse tri, I'm considering this transition to be from bike to swim. I remembered my goggles this time!

I should have racked my bike closer to the bike exit rather than at the farthest point away from it. D'oh.
Bike
  • 39m 13s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really pushing it on the downhills and getting some speed. There's a climb at the end of the loop that you have to go over 3 times. It's a small hill, but I could see a lot of beginners having some trouble. A guy on a fixie was surprisingly keeping up with me and passing me up on the climbs.

At the last turn before transition my chain popped from my front derailleur. It cost me a good couple minutes to put it back on. I think what caused it was shifting into the turn anticipating an uphill climb. Next time I'll just gun it.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Since this is reversed I'm considering this the run to bike transition. Got my shoes off and popped on my bike shoes. Didn't do a flying mount.

Rack my bike closer to the run entrance / bike exit! I was as far as I could possibly be, and it made it a little longer.
Run
  • 27m 2s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Run is fine and something I've been practicing. However, since the blood donation I've been finding it harder to gain more speed. Then again I've been slacking on my mileage per week.

There was a 13 year old girl that left me in the dust. She was bloody fast.

More run training. Run more per week, especially since it's still the off season for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt a little nauseated for some reason after the race. It could have been because of the GU shot I took 15 minutes before the start. Took my stomach a few minutes to settle before I could eat one of the bananas and oranges.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training and my chain popping.

Event comments:

I raced last year, and it's a REMARKABLE improvement this year. The bike and run courses were redone and well marked. The transition areas were set up better. The only caveat with transition was that it was pretty crowded so bikes were all over the place. The finish was nicer. The race bag freebies were great (water bottles and IKEA coasters). They made sure to have lots of race talks explaining everything. Gladly it DIDN'T RAIN, though there's no way the race staff can predict that.

It's really unfortunate that Tri-Carson's inaugural race turned a lot of people off from doing it again this year. The members of Long Beach Tri Club were a big help in changing things for the better. I may be biased since I live in the city, but I'm happy for this little race. I'll be doing it every year I can to show my support.

Last updated: 2011-10-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:02 | 200 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Snaking pool swim. We weren't allowed to push off the wall or kick turn so I would just swim under the lane lines each time, making sure not to hit the wall. The finish is really cool. It ends in a field with a bunch of CSU Dominguez Hills cheerleaders cheering you on. Makes me feel like I'm in the starting lineup for a football game.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:55
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:13 | 12 miles | 18.36 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: A relatively flat 3 loop course with some rollers near the end of the loop. Out of transition there are speed bumps, but after that it's smooth. That's the price you have to pay for having a triathlon at a school.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:27:02 | 03.11 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Course: Relatively flat two loop course with a downhill near the end. Even though it's supposed to be a 5K, the run is well over that distance. My Garmin read around 3.7 miles. The course is much clearer than last time with well posted signs.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes