World Triathlon Corporation
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 07m 53s
Overall Rank = 847/2573
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 128/280
Pre-race routine:

We have a 5 year old and a 2 year old. So I came to this race alone. There was enough stress around my first 70.3 without having to take care of the kiddos and keep the mrs happy. It would have been cool to have everyone cheering and holding signs but that just isnt our reality. 2 yr old would be crying and 5 year old would want to get on the course and race.
Event warmup:

Wow. a lot of excitement in the air around the start. My wave was 45min or so after the pro start so I watched them warm up. Man! when they hit the water they really churn it up! So cool to see. Watched them start then got my wetsuit on and dropped off my morning bag. About 10 min before my wave was in the water, I got so see the pros start coming out of the water. They are HUGE! Seemed like all of them were a head taller than me at least. There is something about pro athletes. Im not sure what it is but when you are around them, you cantell that they are just plain different. Had to be the highlight of the race. One of them anyway.
Swim
  • 41m 38s
  • 1920 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

Holy crap but this was fun! My first wetsuit race, my first big wave start.
It sure seemed like there was lots of contact but I dont really have a frame of refrence.
About 6 weeks ago I did myfirst oly and swam 37 min. It was miserable. Since then my swim has improved a good bit. I learned how to sight and not to pull with a straight arm. MAkes it sooo much easier.
From training I knew that the first few 100M were the toughest, then about the time I start to get worried the pain subsides. That was just how it went. The bouys were on our left. I seemed to want to pull to the right so I had to corse correct a lot and come back in. I'm also a bit less afraid of contact and dont feel like I need to get way out of the way.
I found a couple of sets of feet to draft on. Figured that I might as well try it. It sure makes a difference. Once I got in position, I couldnt regulate my speed so I would end up grabbing ankles, getting frustrated and changing my line. Conversly, when I felt people on my feet I got anxious and felt the need to speed up.
I had planned to push the last 200M but I was really boxed in and decided not to spend the energy to get around folks. And I dont have the nerve to go over them.
I was 167 of 280 in AG out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

I could have gone harder. Next time I will put more effort into the swim. Got out of the water feeling like I had another 1.2mi swim in me. 41:38 isnt fast for others but for me this was a very large improvement.
I made a deal withmyself the night before the race. I really didnt know what my swim time would be but I figured if I was under 40 min that I would race hard and try to break 6 hrs. If I was 45 min I would just cruise and enjoy the sights. When I was 41.38 I figured I would go for 3:10 on the bike and 2:00 on the run and see if I couldnt clip 6 hrs.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

Wetsuit strippers are cool. T1 went fine. Stopped for sunscreen. really glad I did.

nothing. It was fine. I expected 4 min and that was pretty much what it was.
Except perhaps a bike computer. I use my garmin 405 with a bike mount. It is good for gathering data for future analysis but the screen isnt very user friendly while riding. And it meant I have 2 watches to fiddle with.
Bike
  • 3h 07m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I figured I would shoot for 3:10. That was about as fast as I had gone in training. I figured the fact that I was usially tired going into rides in training would counter balance the need to run 13.1 off of the bike. Seemed like as good a guide as any and given that this was my first try that is what I went with. What amazes me is how close to that target time I actualy came. I know that I was hydrated because not only did I pee in the lake but I peed on the bike at about mi 50. At that point I was in postion to hit 6 hrs and I wasnt going to stop if I could help it. MAde sure there wasnt anyone behind me of course...
I was 170 out of 280 in AG off of the bike.

I need to train bike more. I spent almost as mich time this summer in the pool as I did on the bike. Now that I am competent to swim I will spend more time riding.
Nutrition was 1000 cal infinite.
Transition 2
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

honestly, I am a little foggy on what happend here. I sort of remember it but it is soft. All I had to do was rack, put my helmet in my bike bag, put on my shoes and get my hat and go.
Run
  • 2h 11m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I expected the first few mi to really feel muddy. But they didnt. I felt ok off of the bike and my first few mi were in the 8's as a natural pace. I decided to walk the aid stations to try and reduce my speed. Still, I was 2 min ahead of my run pace after the first lap. Hit the porto potty because I had to pee yet again and given that the first lap was quick I figured the stop would lower my heart rate a bit.
Ice down the tri shorts was a great idea. thx bt!
I told myself that lap 2 would likely be the low point from a morale standpoint. It was hot and hilly. I was hurting and would still have another lap to go. So I convinced myself to walk the aid stations AND the mile markers. Lap 2 was 2 min over goal so I was right on target. but I was slowing down.
As I ended lap 2 I already knew that 6 hrs was not going to happen. There just wasnt any push left in my legs. I was starting to cramp and just couldnt will myself to care if I was under 6 or a little over. Had that thing happen where all of a sudden you realize that you are walking and you dont remember stopping. The last lap was a grind. My goal moved from 6 to 6:05 to 6:10.
Then with about 800M to go, I see my wife along the rail. What was she doing here? Turns out that she got a sitter for the kids and drove the 100mi to the race to see me finish. Got a little weepy when I saw her.
The finish was in an indoor arena. It was really cool to hear my name over the loudspeaker.

train bike more. The run felt slow compared to my other runs but it was my strongest leg compared to my AG.
nutrition was a hammer gel then gatoraide on the course.

Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I crossed the line my hams locked up. I must have freaked the handler out. He was talking to me like I was from another planet.
Got my hat and shirt. Then ice cream and starburst. Had to sit for a while and regroup.
This was so different than any other race that I have ever done. I was never out of breath that I can remember. It was so different to be so worn out without ever "going hard".
I HAVE to do a full ironman now. I dont think that it will be next year. But it is going to happen.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike training.

Event comments:

The pre race check in seemed a bit of a mess. Lots of standing in line. But race day was smooth.

Last updated: 2011-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:38 | 1920 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 167/280
Overall: 0/2573
Performance: Good
Suit: 2xu T1
Course: left turn triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:08
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:07:31 | 56 miles | 17.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 170/280
Overall: 0/2573
Wind: Some
Course: rolling hills. 1 lap. Some ugly road here and there. Easy to follow. Lane got tight a few places. Seemed a bit crowded. But I dont have any frame of ref.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:11:31 | 13.1 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 128/280
Overall: 847/2573
Performance: Below average
Course: 3 loops. Hilly run.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-10-24 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Austin

2011-10-24 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3735997

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Austin
Glad you had a good race!  And good on your wife for coming out to see you finish - that's awesome!  Unfortunately for me, my finish time was right in the middle of nap time.
2011-10-24 2:21 PM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
Nice race!  that is SO awesome that your wife drove and made it there to see you finish!  high five to her!
2011-10-24 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3736109

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-10-25 3:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Houston

Congrats! thank goodness for the port-o-cans! ice in the tri shorts is definately a great way to cool the core..i went thru plenty of it as well!

what a great way to finish with your wife surprising you! that is just awesome!

Jb

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Austin Rss Feed