United States
Ironhead Race Productions
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 34m 22s
Overall Rank = 143/274
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 15/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 2 hours before the race. Ate a Cheerios Cereal Bar (never again) and drank 1/2 a liter of Gatorade. Took a quick shower to warm up. Loaded up my bike and my wife's and we were off.
Event warmup:

Got a nice warmup riding the mile from the Waterloo Pool parking lot to the Waterloo Lake. Also gave me a chance to plan my last mile of the bike ride. Racked my bike while eating a Clif bar and drinking the rest of my Gatorade. Did a little stretching and jogging, then did a quick swim warmup.
Swim
  • 07m 30s
  • 328 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

For my second open water swim I guess this would be an improvement. Unfortunately, my right goggle started leaking. By the first turn it was full of water. Rather than stop and fix it, I decided to just close the eye.

I managed to keep one swimmer on my left after the first turn, so I didn't spend too much time navigating.
What would you do differently?:

Make sure goggles are on and sealed completely.
Transition 1
  • 03m 8s
Comments:

Took a lot longer than normal because of the distance from the lake to the transition area. Walked rather than ran to make sure my heart rate was down. Probably took it too slow, but better safe than sorry.

First race with bike shoes and new socks. Just upgraded to clipless 2 weeks ago. One sock went on inside out, which cost me a few seconds. Then I took a slow walk to the mount line since I'm not quite used to running in bike shoes yet.

More experience with bike shoes will save a few seconds. Need to remember to double check socks.
Bike
  • 53m 16s
  • 15.2 miles
  • 17.12 mile/hr
Comments:

For me, this was probably my smartest race. Just about my fastest. Played tag with a 21 year old girl that I finally left behind after about 10 miles. While some of the other riders were huffing and puffing in high gear and getting out of the saddle to get up the hills, I kept a nice cadence in low gear and spun right up. This is the most people I've ever passed on a bike leg. The hills were definitely my strong point.

Finished the bike leg and glanced at my watch - 1:05. My goal of breaking 1:30 was in sight after the bike.

Forgot to reset bike computer before the race, so I had to estimate my bike speed by averaging what I thought was the speed of my last ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 47s
Comments:

Again, had to walk with bike shoes since I'm not used to them. Could have saved a few seconds there. Also missed when racking my back so that cost me a few seconds too.

Need to get used to shoes.

Forgot to take my Gu. May have cost me a little bit in the run.
Run
  • 29m 38s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Terrible run. Felt good until I had to go down the stairs of the first bridge. Then I bonked. Had to walk 4 times on first lap, which was a terribly slow 15 minutes. Managed to do the second in a little over 14. Only walked once on lap two, for about 20 seconds while climbing up the hill with loose rock. Didn't have the juice left at the end to pass the three people I was running the last straightaway with.

Take the Gu in T2 even if I feel great. Work more on bricks. Only did one all month.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a while eating a banana and drinking water. Played with my 3 year old son on the playground qhile waiting for wife to finish. Met Steve (sblack) by accident. Turns out he goes to church with my in-laws...small world.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was only my 2nd open water swim. The first was at PlayTri. I've never practiced it, so that's a big limiter. Swim was probably a good 90 seconds slower that what I would have done in a pool. Need to find some place to practice open water.

Event comments:

Last year's Denison Dash was my first ever tri, so this race may always be my favorite. The bike course is fun but challenging. I hate the run course...but I love it too.

As for my performance, I missed my goal by four minutes. Easy to say that my run did me in, but that wouldn't be fair. Plenty of improvement in all areas...

Swim was poor. Need to practice open water.

Bike improved, but there's still some work to do.

Run was awful. Part of that was the course, but I just didn't have the energy to go faster.

Pretty happy with my performance even though I missed my goal. Now looking forward to a week off.

Last updated: 2005-09-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:30 | 328 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/21
Overall: 88/274
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Counter-clockwise loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:16 | 15.2 miles | 17.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/21
Overall: 163/274
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling hills. One very long hill within the first few miles. One steep hill near the halfway point, directly after a U-turn.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:38 | 03 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/21
Overall: 134/274
Performance: Bad
Course: Cross country run. 2-1.5 mile laps around lake. Lots of stumps, a few bridges, some hard climbs. One climb included a lot of loose rock. Not a fast course by any means.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes