General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Huddleston, Virginia
United States
Set-up Inc.
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 08m 46s
Overall Rank = 268/400
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 31/34
Pre-race routine:

Got Sinus infection on Monday. Got antibiotics and decongestants, and a shot of cortisone on Thursday. My breakfast consisted of cereal, coffee, Amoxicillin, and some sort of strong decongestant that calls for the consumption of a lot of water. All in all though I felt good. I had a fairly good ride on Thursday evening, and while I thought I was going to be a tick or two slower than I otherwise would be, I really was looking forward to the race.
Event warmup:

Mainly just some swimming. I usually don't do much in the way of bike or run warmup as I am good at going on cold legs.
Swim
  • 35m 36s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

I thought that this might turn out to be a "longer than expected" swim about halfway through. I had been breathing only to the right side on 2/4 strokes to avoid looking into the rising sun. All of a sudden, the sky clouded over. My wife, who was watching from shore reported that she knew that Fall was here at that moment. While I was relieved to be able to breathe normally on 3/3, I had a bad feeling about the day. In the last 300 yards or so the exhaust of the safety boats really started to get to me. To top that off, my ankle strap that holds my chip on began to loosen, and I had to stop swimming and mess around with it. I came out of the water about 8 minutes later than I had planned.
What would you do differently?:

Not get a sinus infection a week before the event
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I had a decent transition, but I had some difficulty getting the bike goiing as the exit chute was uphill. My rack was the very first one coming off the swim, so I had to run through the entire transition area with my bike. I had shifted into the small chainring earlier, but had neglected to turn the crank to fully engage the chain., so I ended up running up the hill in my cleats.

Don't forget to make sure the gears are exactly right
Bike
  • 1h 19m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

On the bike I began to realize that I was not going to have a good day. I could not pull off my expected pace. I passes folks who passed me back a few miles later. I knew I was in deep doo-doo when my friend Steve who is in his 50's passed me. I normally am able to average a few mph faster than he does on a course like this. He was not the first nor the last guy with a 50-something on his leg who got around me on the bike.
About half-way through the course, I had occassion to drop into my little chain ring to climb out of a creek botttom. The chain had a conniption fit on the cassette, jumping first up a gear, then back down, then up again. I was befuddled. As I cleaned the drivetrain on sunday I discovered that I was missing a chainring bolt???? That's a new one.
Coming back into the park I now knew that I was in for a real suffer-fest on the run. My legs felt like I had put in 80-100 miles rather than less than 25. Black thoughts filled my head, and I had the Rolling Stones "Under My Thumb" stuck in the old mental ipod. This was going to hurt.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

The true stupidity begins here. I had "successfully" skipped putting on my socks for the bike, and I was not real sure that I was going to be able to bend my legs enough to put socks on now, so shoes on bare feet was the call. A bad call it turns out.

Socks
Run
  • 1h 10m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

It's funny how goals change. I had started out with a goal of 2:30. I saw that slip away in the water, 2:50 died on the bike. I was now down to the "I'll finish" goal. Later in the run I would see three new goals emerge. The first was to be able to walk off the hamstring cramp, the second was not to actually puke (I hate Cytomax, the surprising third goal appeared like a vision of an octopus-armed sea-god from some ancient lore. In the last mile of the race I came up behind a grandma and grandpa pushing a stroller and talking on a cell phone. Passing them became my new goal for the whole race. I am pleased to report that I accomplished it.

More running, less hallucinating.
Post race
Warm down:

The post race meal was steak and bbq chicken. I stared off into space for a long time and finally managed to eat.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For those who might be contemplating acquiring a sinus infection prior to your next race, you know juist for the little extra challenge. Let me be the first to attempt to dissuade you. It sucks at a level of suckiness that makes your everyday suckiness look like Christmas.

Last updated: 2005-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:36 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/34
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Bad
Suit: shorts
Course: Triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:19:46 | 24.85 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/34
Wind: Little
Course: a rolling course starting in the state park and then venturing out onto secondary roads
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:10:15 | 06.21 miles | 11m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/34
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-09-26 1:35 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Big Lick Triathlon - Outback Steakhouse Rss Feed