Make-A-Wish Foundation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 28/516
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:00am. Pre-race breakfast included ham&cheese tortilla, 2 bananas, Clif bar, ~50 oz water.
Event warmup:

At race, I setup, took a short warm up jog with the kids, stretched, chatted with Brenda.
Run
  • 02m 55s
  • 0.38 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Tough running on sand. My HR immediately shot up and I was dropping to the back of the pack. I felt like I had no legs. But, as soon as we reached the pavement near transition I felt fleet again. The hardest part was standing on the beach in 25 kt winds waiting for four waves to start ahead of me. That got cold - not much insulation in that Javelin tri suit.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Hard time clipping in. Poor time, lost one AG place due to T1.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 22.4 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I was surprised at my pace heading out. The buildings and brush helped to block a lot of the wind, so it really did not have too much of an effect, except for a few stretches, noticeably around the bridge.
There was no passing on the bridge due to construction, but this zone was poorly marked because there were barrels and jersey wall extending before and after the bridge. Because I was in the 5th wave there were lots of racers on the course, and I got held up on both bridge crossings. ON the return trip I caught up to a guy in my AG (Softride w/Spinergy wheels), and was about to pass him before the bridge, but decided I'd let him take the lead and save some energy because I could see we were going to get held up on the bridge. We both eased over the bridge and on the far side the barrels and jersey wall extended a good ways beyond the end of the bridge - there was only ~6 feet of space, so it did not seem safe to pass - but this guy passes a girl on a mountain bike. I was pissed. I felt like he was not following the rules, so I did not pass, and this left a good separation between us because the girl was going about 14mph. I really wanted to catch this guy after that, but the difference was too great.
What would you do differently?:

Really nothing. If I could rewind, I'd have passed the guy before the bridge, but I had a very good bike leg.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Smooth as silk. Not many times lower than mine.
Run
  • 41m 22s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I looked at my first split and was shocked. This, of course, worried me that I had started too fast, but I felt pretty good, and I had a rabbit running with me. Another AGer was right behind me. This guy was breathing pretty hard, so I figured there was no way he was going to hold this pace once we turned into the wind. I felt like my breathing was much more in control. But, at mile 2 he pulls ahead, and I'm tailing him. I never could keep pace and he slowly pulls away. In the mean time the bridge guy, passes me when I grab a drink, so I realize I had passed him intransition. I really want to beat this guy, but I just don't have it in me and he battles it out with the guy I ran with earlier. In the process I shattered my 10K PR, so I feel like my training has really paid off and the timing has been right for peaking at this time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a banana, drank some Endurox, chatted with the guy I raced with on the run leg. Packed the gear, went to the Rusty Rudder for lunch and got serenaded by some really bad Elvis impersonators.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sand and wind, but I doubt I could have gone much faster on the pavement. An excellent race for me.

Event comments:

Parking was weird - could not get close to the transition area. I think cancelling the swim threw a monkey wrench into the process because the race did not go off on time. I felt that they skimped on post race food because they wanted to sell tickets to the picnic, which may have been very cool if it were not on the beach in the wind.
I did not like the transition racks done by waves. It went off smoothly for me, but could have easily been a cluster f*@# since everyone in a wave arrived at T1 at nearly the same time.
Race report posted five days after the race because timing company was having technical difficulties. Results are still unofficial, with lots of people DNFs, who should have times.

Last updated: 2005-09-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:02:55 | 00.38 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 242/516
Performance: Below average
Course: Beach. Don't know how far the course was. They initially stated 0.5 miles, but have my time of 2:55.3 pacing at 7:41 - back calculated to appox. 0.38 miles, who knows.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 02:08
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 22.4 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/62
Overall: 35/516
Performance: Good
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Flat, except for the bridge over Indian River Inlet. Up the beach was, mostly into the wind, and return trip had tailwinds.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:22 | 06.21 miles | 06m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/62
Overall: 23/516
Performance: Good
6:23 / 6:35 / 6:33 / 6:35 / 6:40 / 6:41 / 1:50
Course: Flat. Wind at our backs on way out, in or faces on the way in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-09-29 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Wye Mills, MD
Subject: Make-A-Wish Sea Colony Triathlon

2005-09-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: #256032

User image

Veteran
Washington, DC(ish)
Subject: RE: Make-A-Wish Sea Colony Triathlon
Looks like you had a great performance. Congrats. I considered this race as well, but now (considering all that didn't go well) im glad I chose the Va Beach Sandman instead.
2005-09-29 8:13 PM
in reply to: #256032

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Make-A-Wish Sea Colony Triathlon
I would like to do a tri in the Ocean City area next year but I think I'll skip this one. Maybe I'll do something in the Va. Beach area instead. It looks like you had a great race. That was one fast 10k. Congratulations.

Ernie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Make-A-Wish Sea Colony Triathlon Rss Feed