Atlanta Sports Magazine
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 47m
Overall Rank = 142/552
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 33/120
Pre-race routine:

Stretched while waiting in line for the port-o-johns.
Event warmup:

None to speak of ... but there probably should have been both a routine and more structured warm-up activities.
Run
  • 48m 10s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

Establishing and maintaining a pace was difficult as the race day adreneline was flowing ... found that I had to pull myself back and regulate breathing to ensure pace was sustainable.

Difficult time drinking - was thirsty but did not want to stop to take in water. Very difficult to get more than a mouthful in your mouth while in mid-stride

This made taking my Hammergel difficult as that stuff is thick like molasses getting down. Ended up sucking on a 1/3 of the gel over 1 miles and then throwing it out in a course trashcan (few & far between).
What would you do differently?:

Thinking of running with my Camelback. The sloshing would perhaps become annoying, but then again so is dehydration.
Post race
Warm down:

Turned on the heat about 1/2 mile out ... and finished the race spent. (Throwing up during the last 200 yards seemed like a possibility as I pushed myself beyond running in good form.)

Was too spent to warm down. In fact was kind of dazed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to work on running form in general and especially when sprinting towards the finish line. Perhaps need to work on breathing regulation as well as I was really huffing during the last mile.

Event comments:

Could have used one more drink station in the middle, but overall this was an excellent + well organized race ... the perfect Peachtree qaulifier! (If you want a chance to qaulify in the first 3 waves of the Peachtree, this is the race to do as the course is fast!)

To cap off a personal best time and more importantly making the Peachtree Road Race qaulifying cut, I won a free pair of NB running shorts + shirt plus a free pair of NB shoes from Big Peach Running Company! All in all about $175 worth of stuff - wahooo!

Going to go buy a lottery ticket now ...

Last updated: 2005-10-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:10 | 06.21 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 33/120
Overall: 142/552
Performance: Good
7:52, 7:23, 7:45, 7:26, 7:34, 7:10, 3:00 ... adding up to 48:10. The "official" time was more generous, pegging the race at 47:00 - I suspect it might have allowances for those starting at the back of the pack (like I did).
Course: Fast course running down Peachtree Street ... couple of small hills, but mostly course was flat with a slight downhill grade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-10-01 10:56 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: Buckhead Sizzler
GREAT race with PR time for both myself + for training partner (wahooo!) that resulted in qaulifying for the "elite division" of next year's Peachtree Road Race (must run a better than 8:20 pace).

Small pet peeve? If running in a road race PLEASE do NOT wear cologne ... uugh!! While this may sound like a good idea given the fact that you are going to sweat your rear off, you might want to re-think it. Even heard some girls discussing how nauseating some guy was that was "chasing" them through the race.

Edited by huengsolo 2005-10-01 11:04 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buckhead Sizzler Rss Feed