General Discussion Race Reports! » Tony Serrano Memorial Century Ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tony Serrano Memorial Century Ride - Cycle

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Monroe, Georgia
United States
MyCoachChris.com
62F / 17C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 17m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Unfortunately it is becoming more and more routine to drive like a bat-outta-hell trying to follow bad directions to an event. Even the locals didn't know where this elementary school was located much less alone the street.

Suggestion for Event Directors: please invest in a dozen or so balloons ... and tie one to a sign post to indicate a turn.
Event warmup:

I was late, so it was to watch everyone else take off while I signed in/grabbed my packet.
Bike
  • 4h 17m 49s
  • 64.84 kms
  • 15.09 km/hr
Comments:

As a former mountain biker, I never saw the allure of a long road race - thought it would be boring pedaling mile after mile with the only hazard being a dead possum or two.

Wow, was I wrong! Beautiful country side, small town squares, antebellum houses, cotton fields and friendly folks sitting on their porch.

Rookie mistakes lead me to absolutely blow up at mile 57 or 58 and come as close to bonking during that last uphill segment than I ever have: thighs were positively on fire, lower back sore, traps and shoulder blades tight, disorientated and mind was numb - all I could think about was finishing.

The thought was like a record skipping on the same word: finish, finish, finish ...

What would you do differently?:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Only drank 2 @ 20 oz. bottles of Gatorade - even though I was wearing a camel back. While the rain kept it cool, it fooled me into thinking I was not thirsty.

Also, only ate 2 gels + 2 bananas - probably needed more fuel than that.
Post race
Warm down:

Literally, I could barely walk. I grabbed a burrito (it was a Willy's .. they must have sponsored the race!!!!) and a couple Gatorades to knock down. Tried to have a conversation with a guy who let me pace him for the last 25-30 miles (before I blew up), but he just smiled knowing that I was having a difficult time stitching two relatively similar thoughts together.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster was not really the objective more me in these type of things ... farther is.

As this was the longest distance I have done (ever), I would say everything could use some improvement: 1) get to the race on time; 2) listen to the course description/follow a pack; 3) hydrate, hydrate + hydrate; 4) eat more carbs/provide more fuel for the body; 5) be more astute when it comes to looking for markings on the road; and, most importantly, 6) train for long races by building up the bike leg from the Sprint/Oly mode to longer distances.

I suspect the lack of hydration as the core reason for blowing up. This was semi-confirmed when I got home + finally felt the need to urinate. (Yep, it took me two hours of drinking literally 1 gallon of Gatorade to finally feel the need.) When I did, it was the color of ice tea!

Lesson learned.

Event comments:

Post race was not much ... but boy did they have food! (Willy's burritos!!!)

Great race hosted I believe in most part by Serranos.

Last updated: 2005-10-08 12:00 AM
Biking
04:17:49 | 64.84 kms | 15.09 km/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Course was relatively marked ... except one key turn early in the race, which coincidently did not have a street sign. Ended up having to back track a mile or so in order to ask a denizen for directions (the pack had a 15 minute head start and the paths for the 20, 40, 80 and 100 mile courses had already diverged). The course itself was beautiful - 2 lane country roads through horse farms, cotton fields, past cattle farms and a couple small town squares. Very scenic and flat for the most part ... what a bike ride in the country should be all about. The last 4-5 miles of the course was ALL UP HILL and at times a steep grade! I thought the damn @#$%^ hill would never end.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 93
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right