Triwa
19C / 66F
Overcast
Total Time = 43m 22s
Overall Rank = 43/57
Age Group = 20 - 29
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

I had a great nights sleep for the first time ever before a race! Woke up to Ben Harper singing on my clock radio at 5.15, that started my day perfectly ;)
I tried my hardest to eat breakfast but even though I've tried all winter to find something I can eat before training I could only manage about a 1/4 of a piece of toast. I really need to work on that.
Loaded my bike and headed over to Dad's house and he drove us to the race. We were a little early just so he could drive me round the bike course to check out all the HILLS (holy moly)
Event warmup:

Quick jog maybe about 500m and then some stretching while chatting to all the people I knew.
Helped the girls I had talked into the race set up their bikes and helmets etc. they were so nervous and I was so busy trying to help them calm down that I completely forgot to be nervous.
Run
  • 09m 10s
  • 2 kms
  • 04m 35s  min/km
Comments:

I started off pretty strong and was really happy with the first run. I wasn't sure how fast I would be able to go as the course was just basically a long slow hill to climb. I haven't done any hill running at all since my knee injury.

so I was completely surprised when I saw the transition area coming into view and I looked down at my watch and realised I had done the run in 4.5min k's!! wow that's the best time I've done on flat ground.
What would you do differently?:

Not a whole lot I was pretty happy with my run, I need to do some hill running and obviously more run training.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

First time I have raced with bike shoes and I kinda messed up putting them on. Took a little longer then I should have done. And I had problems clipping in,

Practice shoes changes and jumping on and off the bike.
Bike
  • 24m 4s
  • 10 kms
  • 24.93 km/hr
Comments:

I felt good when I jumped on the bike and pushed the ride alot harder then I have before. It was quite a tough course with lots and lots of hills. Only short hills but quite steep and lots of them.
I'm so glad I did a hill ride on Sat coz it was perfect preparation for this ride. I really pushed the whole ride and was really happy with it. I passed quite a few people and no one passed me. (Well some of the guys doing the long course passed me that was a little embarassing lol)
I had a little troulbe changing gears I think I need a little adjustment after the cable change the other day. My knee was really hurting from the fall as well. could feel it the whole ride

Try not to break my bike two days before the race and not injure and bruise most of my body in the process! lol
Was pretty happy with the ride apart from that hopefulyl with more riding I'll get faster!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I took ages changing back into my shoes. my orthotics moved in one of my shoes so had to take it back off and put it back on again. arrggh

Get some toggles and maybe elastic laces
Run
  • 10m 8s
  • 2 kms
  • 05m 04s  min/km
Comments:

the second time up that hill was a little tougher my friend caught up and passed me in the transition coz I was so slow doing my shoes. So I could see her up the hill and had a target to run to. I ran up t her and was planning on running with her but realised that I could go faster so trotted off and got a pretty good rhythm going.
My HRM strap was on a little tight and gave me a stitch which wasn't much fun. at the 1km mark my shoe started feeling a little loose and with about 500m to go I knew I had to stop and tie the stupid shoelace up.

Get some toggles and maybe elastic laces. I was sooo mad when the shoe lace came undone!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some fruit and a museli bar and headed back to the course to cheer my friends and my dad on the long course. Didn't do any stretching (oops)
when the race finished kids from a Roller blading club came and did a demonstration race. My god they were fast! there were two tiny kids doing it too. I don't think I could keep up with the older kids even on my bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My transitions shoes and getting on the bike etc! Start of the season so with more training I might go faster one day :)

Event comments:

I had fun! I pushed it on my bike more then I have before which I'm proud off I think I could push it harder too.

The only bad part about the day was the presentations at the end. They got the placings all wrong and were a bit disorganised. I won a spot prize though (nice towel)

The results have just bene posted and I came third in my age group! (Ok so there was only 4 people in my age group but I still came third) the funny thing is that when they were doing the presentations they gave third place to my friend who came in second last (her very first race ever) So they messed up the times and must have missed me out. But thats cool because she really deserved a prize just for finishing the race it was a real achievement for her!

Last updated: 2005-10-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:09:10 | 02 kms | 04m 35s  min/km
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/57
Performance: Good
Course: 1 Lap loop 2km. 1.5k of that loop was up hill the last 500m was down hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:24:04 | 10 kms | 24.93 km/hr
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/57
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps of a 5km loop. with lots of hills. and some really tight corners.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:10:08 | 02 kms | 05m 04s  min/km
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 43/57
Performance: Average
Course: Same run as the first
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-16 10:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: TWA State Duathlon

2005-10-17 11:26 AM
in reply to: #266161

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: TWA State Duathlon
Great report and congratulations on the race. It sounded like a good first race of the season and you came in third. Way to go! That green square looks good on your calender. This will be a great season for you if you stay upright.

Ernie
2005-10-17 11:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-10-17 3:01 PM

Champion
MA

Great Race!!

You adjusted with the slight issues...laces..changing orthotics and still did awesome!! You overcame issues with your injury and did awesome!

Frustrating when they get times and placing mixed up but that happens a lot I think!

Great way to start off your season...how'd your Dad do?

2005-10-17 8:09 PM

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Oh oops I should have put that in the race report too.  My dad came first in his age group in the long course and he also took out the State Duathlete of the year in his age group too!  He's about the only person I know who was happy to turn 60 because now he's moved up an age group.

2005-10-18 4:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TWA State Duathlon Rss Feed