United States
Out Loud Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 47m
Overall Rank = 184/517
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/31
Pre-race routine:

The usually several trips in to transition to make sure nothing got moved.
Event warmup:

Nothing, I should have done a prerace swim but I didn't want to get cold. Pretty lame excude.
Swim
  • 34m 38s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

150 people started in my wave so it was pretty crowed thru the first turn. Lake was low so I hit sand a few times while swimming. Freaked me out the first time as I thought it was a person.

Got hit in the face then some guys foot got me square in the should, he was doing breast stroke...grrr.
What would you do differently?:

Anti fog goggles, I had problems following the course at times cause I couldn't see.

Look at the swim course prior to race so I would know how far out the turn is. :)
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

T1 went pretty smooth.

Besides more a little faster, nothing.
Bike
  • 3h 09m 48s
  • 59 miles
  • 18.65 mile/hr
Comments:

Legs were sore to start with, that doesn't make for a good ride. But I suffered thru and am happy with my time. Rough road slowed me down a lot! Not happy about that. Water hand ups went well. Finished lots of water but only 1 full bottle of Endurox, ate 3/4 of Cliff Bar.

I need to practice on the flats, I always slow down on those. Need to figure out if my bike set up is right as legs were sore a lot (pinched are came back, right hip on occassion and right knee was hurting).
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Had problems running into T2. Went pretty smooth.
Run
  • 1h 58m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a hard run, mentally hard as well as hot. I thought for sure I would DNF on the run, but I talked myself thru it...amazing. I went from one extreme to the other on the run. I'm not going to finish, yes I'm going to finish, no I'm not going to finish, I'm going to finish but I'm walking the last half..you know you will be pissed at yourself if you walk the last half..just run damit. Fine but if I finish with running I get ice cream tonight, no you don't get ice cream you don't need it...just run. FINE, I'll run. Okay the faster I run the faster I'll finish. I took long walks thru all water stops.

I stopped at mile 1 to use the port-o, the two runners right infront of me when in so I had to wait. When I got to mile 3 I looked at my watch, 25:--, yikes went out a little too fast (I didn't stop my water during the bathroom break).

Do more brick workouts, longer runs after a long bike. I broke 2 hours so I'm happy with that.
Post race
Warm down:

Some stretching and lots of walking back and forth cheering on others from my group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, some wind on the run and just not hard enough training.

Event comments:

A Half IM PR so I'm happy with that. My legs felt really heavy during the race and after.

It was a well organized race. Will probably consider doing it again next year. It was good to do a small race, although the swim start would have been better if the wave was a little smaller.

I saw JeepFleeb several times on the run and after the race so I introduced myself. Also meet DanTX (atleast I think that was his name.) Never saw Dennis out ther but then again I didn't know what he was wearing so I didn't know what to look for.

Last updated: 2005-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:38 | 1931 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/31
Overall: 179/517
Performance:
Suit: T1 two piece
Course: beach start, out in harbor, right turn long out in lake, right turn somewhat parallel to shore, right turn to beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:09:48 | 59 miles | 18.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/31
Overall: 281/517
Wind: Some
Course: County roads. Started with several turns then went thru National Park. Rolling hills, nothing too bad. One spot of 3-5 miles of really rought road. One straight area, pretty flat had some wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:58:42 | 13.1 miles | 09m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/31
Overall: 146/517
Course: Yuck...run out to highway then and out and back repeated twice, the last time followed by a run in a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-10-23 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: Iron Star Triathlon

2005-10-23 8:32 PM
in reply to: #270735

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2005-10-24 8:58 AM

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: RE: Iron Star Triathlon
Sorry I missed you. I was in my Javelin uniform. I can't wait until next year when we'll have some BT uniforms!

So what was your total time?
2005-10-24 10:10 AM

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Subject: RE: Iron Star Triathlon
Guess I should put that. Of course as of Monday morning the times are still unoffical. My finish time was 5:47.

Arron, it's funny the times I saw you on the run I never noticed you ahead of time. One would think I would notice the flag from a ways out but no, not until we were passing did I notice you. Guess I was in a zone.

Gosh am I feeling it today. Sore legs. I should have gotten a massge after the race but my legs felt way to sore for that. I'll have to get one scheduled for Tuesday.

How did the rest of you do?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed