General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleep Questions, Answers need Awakening Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-10-28 2:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Belize
Subject: Sleep Questions, Answers need Awakening
As I've been up working late and considering how I won't get enough sleep tonight to be able to put in a good workout in the morning I've been wondering...

Can someone tell me how much sleep is recommended for triathletes, say those training 4 - 8 hours/week and those training 8 - 12 hours/week?

Is the amount of sleep one should get proportionate to the amount of training they put in?

How many of you log the amount of hours you sleep?
I find that hard to do as sometimes I don't even know when I fall asleep.

Do you include the time spent lying in bed before falling asleep as sleep time?

Do you subtract from total sleep time the time you spend getting up in the middle of the night?

Can you make up for sleep lost during the week by sleeping more on Saturday and Sunday or do you need to get in a minimum amount of sleep after each day depending on the amount of hours spent training and the intensity of the workouts?

Are these dumb questions since our bodies usually dictate to us anyway when it's time to sleep, time to go easy, time for a rest day, etc.?

Ok, I think it's time for me to get some sleep.

Edited by David_Zen 2005-10-28 2:14 AM

2005-10-28 7:31 AM
in reply to: #273786

User image

Veteran
Spartanburg
Subject: RE: Sleep Questions, Answers need Awakening
k...I'll tell you what I know...

The Triathlete in training DOES need more sleep...how much more I dunno..

Its recommended that adults get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep a night...

I dont logg the amount i sleep, but i do try to sleep at least 8 hours a night.
I count typically from 30 minutes after i get in bed...

What i do know is....You CANT catch up on lost sleep...
2005-10-28 7:41 AM

User image

Giver
I'd say get as much as you can. Different people need different amounts, and IMO the more you train, the more you need.
2005-10-28 11:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen, TX
according to joe friel (Triathletes Training Bible) the avg person needs 7-8 hours each night. pro triathletes sleep 10-12 (usually breaking that up into 8-10 hour sleep followed by a nap that makes up the remainder).

as a triathlete you are neither average, and you're also not pro, so just fall inbetween there somewhere that feels right. experiment with consistent sleep hours within that range and find out what works for you. if you're serious you'll commit to a certain bedtime every night and make sure you don't skimp on sleeping.
2005-10-29 11:44 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven

Correction to a post above.  You CAN and need to catch up on lost sleep.  Studies have shown that lost sleep needs to be made up hour for hour.  For people who are chronically sleep deprived, this can almost never happen until you go on a week's vacation (or longer), or you retire, or something like that). 

For people who ARE regularly getting 8 hours of sleep a night, you will notice that if you sleep only 6 hours one night, sleeping 9 over the next 2 nights, or 10 on one night will get you back to feeling pretty good.

All adults need a very narrow range of sleep very close to 8 hours.  Athletes need more.

There is a great book called "The Promise of Sleep" that will answer all of your sleep questions. It is written b y one of the men credited with discovering REM sleep while doing research as a medical student...he knows a lot about it.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0440509017/qid=1130604241/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-4034368-9861526?v=glance&s=books

Amazon.com
"We are a sleep-sick society," says William C. Dement, M.D., Ph.D. According to Dr. Dement, "sleep science" has yielded a great deal of scientific knowledge about sleep--yet the general public, and even doctors, aren't aware of it. Sleep disorders are routinely misdiagnosed or ignored, sometimes resulting in medical tragedy and death, frequently leading to chronic exhaustion. In The Promise of Sleep, Dr. Dement aims to remedy that by making the latest sleep information accessible to health professionals and lay readers. He describes the sleep cycle and gives a short history of sleep research. Then he dives into clear and detailed explanations of concepts and conditions we've all heard about, but that few of us understand: sleep debt, biological clock, circadian rhythm, insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy. He discusses why we need sleep (sounds obvious, but it isn't) and the role of dreams. After 300 pages of sleep facts, Dr. Dement teaches you how to "reclaim healthy sleep" in your own life. You learn to assess your personal sleep situation by keeping a sleep diary, measuring your sleep debt, and evaluating your risk of sleep disorders; find appropriate treatment; manage sleep crises; and adopt a "sleep-smart lifestyle." A three-week "sleep camp" program at the end helps you put all the strategies together. This book will put you to sleep--and that's meant as praise! --Joan Price

Edited by AdventureBear 2005-10-29 11:45 AM
2005-10-30 10:15 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I log my sleep from when I go to bed to when I get out of bed in the morning.  Yes, I might have a little "extra" time in there from falling asleep time, but it gives you a good indicator.

If you are awake less than 10 minutes (get up, go to the bathroom, go back to bed) I wouldn't worry about deducting it from your sleep time.  If you are having an insomnia episode and are awake for an hour or two, then yes deduct it.

I find I really need about 7 hours regularly.  I can go less than that for a few days, but then I get really tired and find myself going to bed at 8:00 pm so I can "catch up."  On heavy training weeks I usually find myself catching a 2 hour nap on Sunday which seems to work pretty well.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sleep Questions, Answers need Awakening Rss Feed