Telos
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 2s
Overall Rank = 22/208
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

Went out with the wife last night, but was called by the babysitter around 8:30. The kids had gotten out of bed and emptied a 20oz bottle of blue body wash all over the floor in 3 different rooms. I had to rent a steam cleaner and spend hours cleaning the carpets. I threw my gear together afterwards an d went straight to bed. I was really tired and wanted to go to bed at 10:00, but missed it by a little more than 2 hours.

I slept ok, but woke up at about 6:00 instead of the intended 7:00. I was excited about the race. I finished packing all of my gear & putting the bike on my car. I ate a bowl of Kix with soy milk and headed out.

Event warmup:

I arrived at about 7:30. I had time to place my bike in a good spot on in the main path through the transition area. I set everything up and walked around for a while. I met up with UTTriMan and chatted for a bit, then did a 1/2 mile warmup run. I made sure that I was well hydrated prior to the race and hit the rest rooms.
Swim
  • 09m
  • 383 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

The best I can say is that I swam straight through non-stop. I managed to pass 5-6 people, but also had about the same amount pass me. I was able to do a slow "endurance" pace, but didn't have the strength to do what I'm able to regularly in training. I really feel that the swim is still my weakness. I'll keep working on it through the winter.

I'm not exactly sure what the overall time was.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder! I also need to make sure I'm swimming efficiently. My strokes seemed to be a bit wild. I have a hard time with my form when I'm tired.

I'm thinking about taking a tri swimming class to see if I can refine my stroke.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I was a little upset because the guy in front of me rode quickly into transition even though they told him to dismount. He then got stuck trying to turn in and bottled me up for a bit.

The transition went pretty quickly. They had us walk across the street and through the entrance & locker room to the pool, so the transition took a little bit of time.

Unbuckle helmet while running with the bike.
Bike
  • 27m 40s
  • 10 miles
  • 21.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I passed a LOT of people on the first lap, then managed to pass a couple more on lap 2. I seemed to do particularly well compared to others on the flats and around the turns. I managed to pass a couple of people on one windy downhill section and still keep good control.

I felt out the loop on the first run and pushed even harder the second. The hill was a bit slower on lap #2, but everything else was a bit faster.

Considering that I really haven't been cycling long and don't have a real TT bike, I feel pretty good about this. I wasn't passed by a single rider.

I could have ridden the course earlier to get the feel of it.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

I'm not sure how long transition took, but I'd guess about 30 seconds. I ran in, slipped my shoes off (speedlaces helped). I had worn the gloves on the run and wasn't changing clothing at all. I quickly put my shoes and helmet on. I managed to clip into the new SpeedPlay peddles pretty quickly.

This transition went very smoothly. Perhaps some day I'll learn to put the shoes on the bike in advance.
Run
  • 21m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

At the starting line, I thought I heard them announce that only the 5k runners would be starting. I checked with the director to make sure and he confirmed. He must have misunderstood me, because I was standing at the back of the group waiting for my turn when everyone ran off. By the time I managed to work my way through the crowd, I was about 1/4 mile behind the start of the pack. I made up a lot of ground, but was disappointed. I feel I lost a good 20-30 seconds at least.

I had a good first 1/2. I knew the first part of the course was the faster part, so I pushed hard early. I finished the first couple of miles at about a 6:40 pace, then tried not to wear myself out too much on the hill. I ran a moderate pace for the last 1/2 mile to make sure I wouldn't have to recover in transition. Overall, it was a good run. It was consistent with my recent training runs and actually beat my PR 5k race time by about 10 seconds. Not bad, considering the 5k wasn't followed by bike and swim.

I feel good about the run other than the start. I passed a lot of people, but wasn't passed by a single person overall.

Head to the beginning of the starting line and make sure that I know exactly what's going on.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat by the pool, then walked around the deck waiting for the suit to dry a bit before heading out into the cold. Ate some fruit and had gatorade and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming was the biggest barrier. Otherwise, I just need to train harder to get faster.

Event comments:

The race was well organized for a small pool event. The course was well marked, and there were plenty of people there to help. I'd do it again next year. It's a short race, but a good end of season one that you can do without taking too seriously.

Last updated: 2005-11-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:00 | 383 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/18
Overall: 54/208
Performance: Below average
Suit: DeSoto tri top with Tyr shorts
Course: This was a pool swim. We did 7 half laps, snaking across 7 lanes. The pool was a bit warmer than I'm used to, or I may have just been running a bit hotter at the time.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:27:40 | 10 miles | 21.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/18
Overall: 8/208
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: The course was the most difficult I've done to date. It was a loop that went gradually downhill for the first half, then climbed back up, with a very significant hill that covered roughly 1/3 mile about 2/3 of the way through. The loop was covered twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:28 | 03.11 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 19/208
Performance:
Course: The course had a gradual downhill for the first 2 miles or so, followed by a significant hill and gentle uphill with a straight finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes