USM Events
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 37m 1s
Overall Rank = 1267/2098
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 218/289
Pre-race routine:

Drive up to Noosa with my boy on the Saturday afternoon to check in my bike. The transition area was jam packed so I had to push aside some very expensive bikes to squeeze in mine. Jack and I walked around the tri expo area and sampled some new energy bars and drinks and drooled over some very nice bikes.
Event warmup:

My warm up consisted of laying out my gear (and then coming back and checking it about 5 times) and bumpinmg into old friends and having a bit of a chat. Having raced here last year and trained over the course gave me a lot of confidence and I found myself fairly relaxed about the race. My goal for this year was to race hard and beat last years time as opposed to last years goal which was to just finish the race.
Swim
  • 27m 25s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim at Noosa is always fun (arms, elbows and legs going every which way) as there are so many people scrambling to get around the course. My wave set off at about 8.11am which was about 3/4 of the way through the field. I started at the front of my wave and got swam over by about 5 guys within a few hundred meters. I got passed by heaps of other swimmers who started after my wave. That wasn't too bad as I was able to draft them as they went by. Basically I tried to draft as much as I could throughout the whole race. My time of 27 minutes was 3 minutes faster then last year so I was very happy with the time.
What would you do differently?:

My swim went well and I can really start to see big improvements in my times because of the training I am doing. I just need to keep it up.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I got out of the water and found my bike in row 10 (I had racked it in the same spot as last year), grabbed my glasses, stashed some GU's and put on my helmet. As with last year, I put my bike shoes on in T1 and although it takes longer to do this it is much safer. It had started to rain while I was swimming and the roads were going to be slippery and I didn't want to be weaving all over the road trying to put my shoes on.

It wasn't the fastest T1 but i got out on my bike safely.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 45s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.54 km/hr
Comments:

I felt pretty good as I started the bike leg and because there are so many people on the course at once, everybody drafts, (even through it's highly illegal) so I tried to make the most of it as well. I also put into practise some of the tips I picked up at my training camp about how to ride the course (money well spent) which made the hill climb seem easier then last year. I also capitalised on the down hill sections of the course which helped me to beat last years time by about 13 minutes, which was fantastic.

I have incorporated a few longer rides into my training and they seem to be paying off but I will need to do more if i want to see improvements again next year.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was OK and I managed to rack my bike, take off my helmet and put on my number belt in a reasonably time. I didn't have to sit down like I did last year to put on my shoes and socks so that may have saved me some time. On the way out of T2 I almost ran into a guy who was going the wrong way. I ended up turning him around and pointing him in the right direction.

It all went well.
Run
  • 55m 51s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 35s  min/km
Comments:

This was the most disappointing part of my race even though at this stage I knew I was going to beat last year’s time. As I started my run I felt pretty good and I was able to set a good pace but by about the 2km mark I started to feel a bit sore in the legs and found myself just shuffling along. I also starting thinking about having a little walk but I resited this urge and kept on plodding along. I passed the 5km mark and started to feel better as there was only about 20 more minutes of pain to go. I also had my boy, parents and some friends on the course who were yelling out encouragement which really helped me continue with the run. By the time I hit the 1km mark I started to run a bit faster and knew I was almost there and finally after 2:37 it was all over.

I thought I was on track to run a good time so I'm a bit perplexed as to what went wrong. My only guess is that the bike took a fair bit out of me and I had nothing left for the run. Maybe i need to do more bricks sessions in training.
Post race
Warm down:

I was on a bit of a high in the warm down once I got over my disappointment of a slow run time and realised how well I had done overall. I feasted on watermelon as nothing hits the spot like a piece of watermelon after a tri. I caught up with a few friends and we swapped stories about the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

At this stage of my limited tri capabilities I just need to keep building on my training and my times will continue to improve.

Event comments:

Another short goal completed and another Noosa tri comes to an end. Overall I had a great time competing and to have smashed last years time by 15 minutes was just fantastic. I achieved my goal time and am well on my way to achieving a long term goal of finishing in the top half of a race for my age group.

The Noosa tri is a massive event with more then 2000 competitors. Everyone is there to compete and have a fun time which creates a great atmosphere. They have set the date for next year and I am already looking forward to it.

Last updated: 2005-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:25 | 1500 meters | 01m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 182/289
Overall: 1191/2098
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 1500m out and back course in sheltered canal
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:13:45 | 40 kms | 32.54 km/hr
Age Group: 195/289
Overall: 1057/2098
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 40km undulating out and back course with one long climb and technical downhill. Rises from sea level to 250metre elevation
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:51 | 10 kms | 05m 35s  min/km
Age Group: 229/289
Overall: 1475/2098
Performance: Below average
Course: Flat 10km out and back course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-11-07 12:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Noosa Triathlon

2005-11-07 3:20 PM
in reply to: #279335

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Noosa Triathlon
You beat last years time by 15 min???? 15 min!!! That's unreal. The training is paying off, another year down the track & imagine where you'll be!

I wonder if you didn't drink enough on the bike - were you drinking a sports drink or water? Did you take any Gu?

Fantastic effort nevertheless!
2005-11-07 5:25 PM
in reply to: #279335

User image

NSW - Australia
Subject: RE: Noosa Triathlon

What a race !!!!! What a report !!!!!. You absolutely kicked serious butt.

My only concern for you now is that next year how are you going to improve on the new time by 15 mins?     LOL

awesome, well done

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Noosa Triathlon Rss Feed