Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2006-01-11 4:59 PM
in reply to: #280172

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
Subject: RE: Florida 1/2 Ironman

Given the number of people staying in Ft. Wilderness, this may be the best place to meet. I stayed there about 10 years ago and we got a home which would have been a good place for this.

Any Ft. Wilderness people willing to host?

2006-01-12 5:36 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
When you register and get your race number, you'll receive a wristband, which you need to access the race and transition sites. Assuming you put it on as soon as you get it, you'll easily recognize each other when you get back to the hotel. And when you sit at the pool, you'll see everyone's bikes on their balconies. You make me wish I was doing it again.
2006-01-20 8:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
Is the Wilderness Lodge and Wilderness Cabins the only places within walking distance of the race??

Are there any picks from last years race?

Snookdude
2006-01-20 9:23 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

This might interest you guys.....

http://www.floridahalfironman.com/course.php

1.2 mile swim (1 loop), 2 mile transition run

Bay Lake located at Walt Disney World, Fort Wilderness.

Beach age group wave start, swim counter clock wise, buoys on your left, around a 1.2 mile rectangular course with 2 turns and returning to the shore 705 yards to the west of the start line and entering into the shoe transition area. The shoe transition will be in a grassy field 30 yards from the beach.

After putting on shoes in the shoe transition, athletes will run 2 miles to the bike transition.

• Go right on mulch path in next to the petting Zoo
  • Left onto a pathway next to Frontier Hall
  • Right on pathway in front of the Outpost
  • Go behind the 300 Loop Campground along Bonnet Creek Canal
  • Go to Big Pine Rd to right to Wilderness Trail
  • Go left through Cast Services area to the bike transition

Now that's crazy fun (but glad I'm not doing it)!  On the bright side the old transition had some issues so they are trying to make things better.

Edited by PGoldberger 2006-01-20 9:25 PM
2006-01-20 9:27 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Here's the reasoning -

Reasons for the change to the course.

#1. Many athletes that sent back the survey after the event last year mentioned that the sand/grass transition was not very good - the black carpet was hot and hard to run on - spectators could see the transition.

#2 - Registration/Expo was hard to find and spead out at the site. Moving out to a large parking lot will allow everything to be in one place for the event. You will notice that the finish line is right next to the transition and also the Expo/Village area. Spectators will see much more of the race.

#3 - Run course improvement - Almost all of the run will now be in shade! We took out the hot open trail run along the canal.

#4 - Bike course improvement - Took out the bike section inside the campground and the short out and back on World Drive. Alot less turns and better roads on this course.

#5 - Swim course improvment - Much larger area for the swim finish - lots of room for spectators to watch.

#6 - Heat factor - athletes will only have to run 11.1 miles in the heat of the day - the first 2 miles will be right after the swim at the start of the race.

We know that some people will not like this new course, but we felt that these changes really improved the race. We made these changes so that athletes would have a better experience and a safe course.

We have lots of wonderful volunteers signed up to help out at the race and they are looking forward to providing you with a great experience.

2006-01-20 10:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Back of the pack breathing hard
Subject: Course change.

So we swim, run, bike and run again? Are they adding a T3? Can you hear the sarcasm?
We have two transition areas now? I can see one potentially big logistical, er uh ,
problem coming about by this.

Picture this. 1500+ triathletes at the ready for the swim. All being cheered on by a
3000+ group of spectators, family and friends. OK, swim over.......... now what?

Imagine all of these family, friends & spectators all making their way from swim area to
the second transition area. How do they (Disney) plan to get them there? How do you accomadate 1000's of people wanting to leave the exit area of the swim to the new transition area for bike and run?

1. Are my elderly parents supposed to hoof it 2 miles? My mom asked me to look into a golf
cart. I scoffed, saying nah, everything is close together. I guess I'm gonna have
to go see a man about a cart. Think of little kids, the sun, humidity, strollers and.....wow.

2. Shoes - OK so we get out and put running shoes on, so we can run to put on our cycling
shoes? Are these 1st pair of shoes to be racked the night before? hehe <-That one's a joke.

3. They changed the finish line so it's now even farther from the Wilderness Lodge. Again
refer to #1.

I gues this all comes with the territory. I can handle any course change they can throw out
there. I'm more concerned that my friends and family will end up not enjoying themselves when they find out they are gonna be in there own 5k.

T

Edited by tydarby 2006-01-20 11:02 PM

2006-01-22 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
OK...Inquiring minds want to know

Where do my Wetsuit, googles, cap, and towel go after I'm out of the water? The shoe transition area or do I have to lug it 2 miles to the bike transition... Also, does this impact the bike cut-off time? It should since you are adding anywhere from 16-30 minutes to peoples times, and this doesn't include an additional transition.

Shoots in the foot the principle of using the 20-30 minutes after the swim to calm your hear rate!

Thanks for all the info...I'm sure it will work out for the best.

2006-01-22 2:13 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Most likely won't be a wetsuit swim so you won't need to worry about that. 

You are going to have to ease into the run but you should be able to get your HR under control once you get on the bike.  The first 10-15 miles are pretty flat from what I remember.  On the bright side when you get off the bike you only have 11.1 miles to go!

2006-01-22 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tyler--In reading your posts, I am wondering where your parents are staying?  Disney's wording can be somewhat confusing.  The Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Resort are two totally different resorts.  This will be important for your parents because if they are staying at the Lodge, there is a 1+ mile walk to the race site.  I don't know about the Lodge, but I do know that if you are staying at Fort Wilderness they do have golf carts for rent.  I would suggest doing this in advance, if possible, as the resort will be packed solid that weekend.  HTH.  Sherri

Edited by oliveview 2006-01-22 2:39 PM
2006-01-22 3:15 PM
in reply to: #329474

User image

Veteran
oliveview - 2006-01-22 3:39 PM

Tyler--In reading your posts, I am wondering where your parents are staying?  Disney's wording can be somewhat confusing.  The Wilderness Lodge and Fort Wilderness Resort are two totally different resorts.  This will be important for your parents because if they are staying at the Lodge, there is a 1+ mile walk to the race site.  I don't know about the Lodge, but I do know that if you are staying at Fort Wilderness they do have golf carts for rent.  I would suggest doing this in advance, if possible, as the resort will be packed solid that weekend.  HTH.  Sherri

After reading your post a few times I started to have doubt in my mind about exactly
where I booked the rooms. Checking my expedia it says Disney's Wilderness Lodge.
I knew that the lodge was a 1 mile walk to start. The parents/friends can handle a 2 mile round trip. It's the new location, 2 miles south of the start, that concerns me. I figure 5 miles round trip.

Waiting to see how the organizers or Disney, plan to handle the exodus from one
location to the other of the spectators. Even if there are only 2 spectators per runner, that's
about 3000. I'm screwing up the curve and bringing 5. My bet is that people are just gonna
have to choose what they want to give up watching in the beginning transitions.
I would be very suprised if they made these changes without taking into account
transportation for them.

Certainly gonna look into getting a golf cart for the folks. And I agree with you a 100
percent about the wording Disney's Wilderness Lodge or Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. Wish they made it easy. If anybody as the links to these two seperate
places please please email them to me. Now I confused myself again. Time to call the
head mouse in charge.

Tyler
Live'n Strong!
www.aircrewphotos.com
2006-01-22 3:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Tyler,

I'm headed there this weekend.  What can i do to help you?  ...and anyone else, as far as checking out the area.  We will be with friends on Saturday who are cast members and I can snoop around and check out what they are talking about.  Having been there the last 2 years for the race I can picture in my head what they are talking about.  Guess I could take some pictures if that is something yall are interested in!?

2006-01-23 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Wow, I am not really happy with the new course.  The run is my least favorite event and yes, maybe it will be good to only have to run 11 after the bike, but I am now concerned about the cutoff.  I hope they change them. 
2006-01-23 2:23 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Just my 2 cents -

I'll need to chew more on the idea of the transition run, but I agree it'll be hard for spectators to 'run alongside' for 2 miles, so they'll have to decide which pseudo-transition to see. Ah well, I'm going to guess those folks know what they're doing...

However, if the course is still 'tentative', I'm hoping the gods hear my prayers... MOVE THE FINISH LINE! Just move it one street over from Parking Lot Road to Cast Services Drive. It'll do two important things:

1. Get rid of two 90 turns in the last half block of a half-ironman - I mean, come on.
2. Give us a finish line to go for, a gravitational light in the distance.

Okay, that's my little plea - let it fall where it may.

<off topic snipe> BTW, who named these streets anyway - is that really the best that Imagineering can come up with to describe the happiest place on earth? </off topic snipe>

2006-01-23 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids MI
Its kind of hard to imagine this whole area without knowing how its all laid out - It seems like a long ways away from everything - like the lodge! Is the lodge not the best place to stay?

For those that know the area, Is the expo area and transition now 2 miles from the lodge ?

I am still looking forward to haveing a great time but it seems like things are going to be chppoed up a bit. Oh well, we'll see everyone there !! Happy training !

Scott
2006-01-23 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Maybe they should rename it the "Florida Ironman Brand Duathlon w/ a swim for good measure" LOL

Wetsuit..yeah remembered that, but doesn't resolve the towel, googles, swim cap issue. Unfortunately, If I have to haul them, they are going in the trash. Then I can be DNF'd for abandonment...hmmmm.

Also, the cutoff times are a HUGE deal. If that's not fixed, they might have a serious problem. even in halfs, a lot of people come accross the last 30 minutes of the bike cutoff. I missed IMWI 04 by 7 minutes. I'd rip the director a new you-know-what if he added a 2 mile run, didn't change the bike cutoff, and it cost me on the bike cutoff... Also, given the heat,etc, this could realistically cause people to have to go into the red zone on the bike just to get a chance at the run. And we all know too fast on the bike can and most often does cost you much more on the run!

but they got my money so...I'm Racin!!!!!!

Edited by BadgerIronMan 2006-01-23 3:32 PM
2006-01-23 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
I sent a couple of e-mails about the changes. They replied once with no info, just refer to the site.
The next one I sent questioned the exact way the event will be timed and why they changed it.

Hopefully, if they get enough inquiries, they will post something on the website explaining it further.

But, I guess it's still a way off. They could change it again a dozen times.

Snookdude

2006-01-23 9:03 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

(Editted once I realized that the 2 miles are to be subtracted from the run at the end. )

Ok, I pondered the potential 2 mile transition run during my swim today and I'm writing this while burning a CD to run to on the treadmill.

I'm trying to look at this not from the point of view of someone who doesn't want to have to do a "swim, dinky little run, bike, not-quite-a-half-marathon" for my first half IM but from a brand management/ marketing point of view. I have no formal education in either but I'm a red blooded American consumer which gives me some credibility. Having said that, here are my thoughts.

The RD is a man so experienced, so steeped in triathlon, so active and respected in our sport, he's forgotten more about tiathlons than I could possibly ever know. He's known as a very intelligent man and as someone who cares deeply about the sport and the people who engage in it. I'm sure that the reasoning behind the proposed changes make perfect sense and that the rationale seems solid, but this is an absolutely terrible idea.

The whole point of the Ironman 70.3 race series is to expand the Ironman brand to include half IM distance races without pairing it with the wussy qualifier 'half'. It's not 'half' of anything it's 70.3! is the whole point they're trying to get across. Now there are some bad decisions being made, some of which are based on changing the race to be consistent with the name. Cart before the horse anyone? This marketing campaign is off to a very rocky start. It may be good, or at least creative, race management in some respects, but it's definitely bad marketing.

It's also being very irresponsible with the one major asset that IMNA has: the IronMan brand. It's that brand that sells out the races. Not great course support, not the well setup and run transition areas, not the corporate logos, not the cool web site, not the after party. It's the name "IronMan". Without it these are just another race.

In order for a brand to build and retain customer loyalty it needs to provide good value, which IMNA obviously does, but it also needs to be consistent with its product. No one goes to McDonalds in a new city to see what they might have on the menu that they don't at the McDonalds back home. The same applies to Sears, Coca Cola, Cheetos, Trader Joes, ExxonMobil etc. A brand means nothing if the products and/or services are a crapshoot. The whole idea of selling a brand is selling consistency and reliability. Take those away and the brand means nothing. Moving some running miles from the end of the race to between the swim and bike is taking those things away. The value of the name IronMan on watches, exercise bikes et al just became worth a little bit less.

I'm really surprised that the WTC would let IMNA even consider this. If I were a marketing or brand management exec at WTC, I'd be screaming into a speaker phone threatening bodily harm to every IMNA exec for screwing with my brand like that.

And if I sold Seiko watches or were an RD of a non-Ironman 70.3 half Iron distance race, I'd be praying that IMNA actually makes this a "swim, dinky little run, bike, not-quite-a-half-marathon". What a great marketing opportunity: "Sign up for our Half IM and we guarantee that we won't unneccesarily screw with the distances" "Half the price and 10 times the reliability".

And I really don't want to have to run those two miles out of the water, but it might be a good opportunity to ask Mike Ricci to come up with some good run-bike-run bricks.

2006-01-23 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Here's the thread about the course change on SlowTwitch.  The RD is answering questions there.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=691077;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;guest=6411608

2006-01-23 10:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cheers to Marmadaddy for that wonderful explanation of why this is such a bad idea.
I for one will be campaigning to whomever will listen that they change this back to a real triathlon. aka Swim-Bike-Run.

Please please pass along this link and ask your fellow triathlete's to (even if they are
not in this 70.3) voice there opinion to the organizers of the FL 70.3. Thanks

Tyler
"Live'n Strong"
2006-01-24 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison, WI
Tom Ziebart, the race director, has been very receptive to all comments on slowtwitch. I brought up the issue about bike cutoff times, and he is looking into it since he hadn't thought about it.
2006-01-24 8:29 AM

Just caught wind of this... and yes, very bad idea considering how it would effect training and the tru essence of a tri.. Also, being my first 1/2 IM I'd like for it to be exactly what I signed up for.. a swim/bike/run...not a mixed duathlon event. Good for you guys to make some noise to the directors. Hope they adjust accordingly.

2006-01-24 11:06 AM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Another marketing type thought:

This will probably be ok with the "i've done 17 half irons and Ironman races so this is a nice change" crowd.

It's probably not as ok with the people doing their first IM brand race, first half IM distance, or even their first triathlon.

Does IMNA really think the first group is where their growth and future is?

2006-01-24 1:05 PM

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Hey guys - definitely go ask Tom any questions over at slowtwitch:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=691077;sb=post_latest_r...

He's been incredibly kind and responsive, and is still open to suggestions. It's obvious he's trying to do the right thing, but maybe just didn't remember what us beginners really care about. Make sure you let him know if you want to have 13.1 at the end!

-Josh
2006-01-24 2:45 PM
in reply to: #330511

User image

Elite
San Diego

Casper - 2006-01-24 6:29 AM Just caught wind of this... and yes, very bad idea considering how it would effect training and the tru essence of a tri..

I don't want to beat this into the ground, but the first triathlons were (I believe) a run, swim, run, bike, swim, run. So to have a race that is a swim, run, bike, run is actually closer to the true essence of triathlons than the race we now know

My .01

http://home.san.rr.com/johnstone/

2006-01-24 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
, Florida
For Pete’s sake, lighten up, we got troops in harms way and we’re Bi*ching about a f’ing race, get real! If you don’t want to do it, don’t do it, go home and whine ‘cause the race is changed!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Florida 1/2 Ironman Rss Feed  

of 3