United States
Miami Man
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 00m 22s
Overall Rank = 194/239
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Miami, went to bed at 11pm, woke up 4:30am. We went to Dunkin Donuts and had a whole wheat bagel toasted with butter. We were at the park early and had plenty time to set out transition area. My rack was very far from the bike exit.
Event warmup:

Not much. Little stretching.
Swim
  • 24m
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

What a difference compared to last race! I was calmed, navigation was better. I stopped couple times because I couldn't see one of the buoys. Las 0.1m I lost my course and wasted some time. The open water clinic certainly helped to reduce my time. Overall I was 3 minutes faster, I didn't swallow much water and I finished with energy. I cannot believe I was 3 minutes faster considering I didn't train swimming at all.
What would you do differently?:

Practice drafting! Train some more. Check my technique
Transition 1
  • 04m 29s
Comments:

I reduced T1 time almost 1/2 minute considering T1 was longer this race. T1 transition clinic was a great improver. Not using gloves was a good choice.

Check my GPS is set and ready, Get new shoes, the buckle in my bike shoes is not good for transitions.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 53s
  • 21.75 miles
  • 17.91 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 2-3 miles were great. Tailwind, avg speed was 25-26 mph. Then the headwind kicked in and It was hard on the way back. I cannot believe I did so well on the bike considering I didn't ride the last couple months previous to the race. At one point I heard a puncture noise and I though I had a flat. I spend time and effort checking for my tires. On my way back I discovered it was a roadside tuck helping other bikers.

Practice on the aero bars. Get enough fuel and water. Practice more although I was very happy with my performance.
Transition 2
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

International distance had a longer transition to the racks from the bike entrance. It was awkward to run with the shoes. I stopped, took off my shoes and ran in my socks. The problem is I got them all full of wood chips. Again, my GPS was in the wrong position and was distracted. I should've taken my gel and water at that moment. I was waiting for a water stop but unlike last race, it wasn't right at the entrance of the run.

Easier to strap bike shoes! Water available, fuel ready. My shoe buckles were locked and I couldn't get them out!. Transition practice helped big time!
Run
  • 1h 15m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I was SLOW!!! Funny, I've been mostly running and that was the leg I failed!. First mile was awful, I was distracted, dehydrated from the bike and because of the bike efforts I had no legs left. The worst part was my mind; I just wanted to give up (a sign that I needed fuel). I decided to change strategy and had a gel with some water instead of the amino they give at the race. I felt much better miles 3-4 but I was exhausted by mile 5. I walked a lot and was not motivated.

Learn how to use GPS in races, I was distracted trying to setup the unit. Fuel, Fuel, Fuel....
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, got water, waited for Jael to cheer her up at the end of the race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, I didn't expect to have a headwind. Last race I drank too much, this time too little. I have to improve fuel/hydratation strategy.

Event comments:

I like this race, this time of the year they had more competitors and the T1 setup was friendlier to Half-Iron man competitors. It seems that soon they will outgrow the park :) Thanks to all the volunteers and the police officers patrolling the streets. Thank you!
The day before the race I stayed in Miami with Jael and her friend Charo. I met Jael in a Racheal Wood's triathlon group training. I have no words to express my gratitude for making my race so much fun. Charo was such a great friend! She woke up at 4:30am and helped us, taking plenty pictures and cheering us up. My friends? They had a party the day before I am sure they were hangover :) Also, big thanks to Racheal. Her group trainings were such a success! She was there for her trainees, she called Jael the nigh before to check on her and give her last minute tips. She really cares for the athletes she coaches.

Last updated: 2005-11-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:00 | 1094 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 225/239
Performance: Good
Suit: Allowed but not used
Course: Lake swimming. Water temperature was perfect. Same course as Iron Monkey but this time the route was the same they advertised on race maps.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:12:53 | 21.75 miles | 17.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 157/239
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Same as last race, I like the course but saw many people (again) with flats. I like the fact that I memorized the streets that way I knew how far I was from the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:22
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:15:38 | 06.21 miles | 12m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 212/239
Performance: Below average
Course: Same course as june's race. Mix of paved, unpaved trails. Last part is full of pebbles, hard to run with rubber legs.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-11-14 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Subject: Miami Man
Ok, second race down.... I was slower that last race but I shouldn't complain since I didn't train as much. Actually I think I did great due to the circumstances. The headwind on the bike leg was a killer and affected my run. But I realized how strong I am on the bike! I could be top on my AG if I train some more. My swim was MUCH better than last time due to some OWS clinic I attended before the race. Fuel and water were an issue. I have to work a little more on that.
Time to reflect on my first year :) It is awesome to be able to do this! During the run I swore I wouldn't do this again... BUT I WILL!
I changed my priorities and decided not to race a longer distance until I get better. I do not want to be frustrated and give up. With proper training I can decrease my times a good 15 minutes. My goal is to be on top 3 places AG for my bike leg :)

Edited by clflgrl 2005-11-14 10:08 AM

2005-11-14 11:10 AM
in reply to: #284161

User image

Expert
Jacksonville, FL
Subject: RE: Miami Man
Sounds like it was a tough race but you seem very positive. Now you have some more goals for next year. (Check your swim time on the report - It shows 24 hours for the swim portion).
See you out there next season.
2005-11-14 12:27 PM
in reply to: #284228

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Thanks Bob! I'll fix the time on the swim. What a different a day makes, I wasn't too positive the first 2 miles of my run, I kept repeating to myself: "I will not do this &%$@ again, I am dropping out of this race, I am done!" then I took some gel and felt better
I guess one pre-requisite to be a triathlete is to have bad memory
2005-11-14 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job   Sorry to have missed you.  We were trying to get all the BTers together.  That transition was crazy long and the wind on the bike was completely brutal.  Take care and good job -SMO
2005-11-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: #284433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Thanks! Sorry I missed you guys....
2005-11-15 5:58 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice Race!!

I see you improving and making top 3 in your AG on the bike. You trained smart and used what you learned to be better in open water and transitions. You learned from the race what to work on.

Very successful and fun race  you had! Cool you had friend there to help and support you.

Congrats!!

2005-11-16 9:44 AM
in reply to: #285541

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Thank you Kathy! It was surreal because none of my close friends were there (they had a party the day before) but I shared with people I've met during tri group training. I had a good time (see, bad memory again)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Man Rss Feed