New Atttitudes Wellness Center
46F / 8C
Sunny
Total Time = 22m 6s
Overall Rank = 5/40
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

Got up 2 hours before the race and had a warm shower. Had an Oatmeal raisin Clif bar and half a red Powerade 90 minutes before the race.

Event warmup:

Got to race site about 30 minutes before. Took a 5 minute jog and stretched for 15 minutes. Sat against a wall and relaxed for a few minutes before walking over to the start.
Run
  • 22m 6s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Probably the smallest 5K I've ever seen. Only 40 people, and 10 of those were walkers. Still, it was a good race for me. Out of the top 10 runners, only 3 of us were over 20. The first 2 were a couple of guys from out of town. The rest were high school cross country runners.

Wanted to start off pretty easy, but the adrenaline of my first run-only race in about 9 months got the best of me. Managed to throttle back a little bit after the first 200 yards or so. Found a high schooler that had a nice pace and latched on about 20 yards behind him.

Since this is a training race for the 15K next month, I had two goals - keep a good pace, catch and pass someone in the last mile.

Main goal was just to keep a consistent pace the first two miles and try to make the third mile the fastest. First mile was 7:07. 2nd mile was 7:23. Last 1.1 was 7:36, which is about a 6:48 mile pace. 2nd was a little slower than I wanted, but it was also in the hilly part of the course.

Felt pretty good as I left the park and turned back down the hill, so I sped my pace up. Noticed the high school kid was looking winded, so I decided to make a move and see what he was made of. Pulled even with him, flashed a smile and said something like "Good job kid", then took off.
What would you do differently?:

First race in new shoes and I forgot to double knot. Right shoe came untied at the 2 mile mark. Ignored it and kep going. Maybe I could have gone a little faster and broken 22. Who knows?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit and had a Powerade. Then walked out to meet Shannon and jog her in. She had a tough race, still trying to get back into shape.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Shoe coming untied was the only bad thing. Otherwise I did exactly what I hoped for.

Event comments:

Pretty good day for us overall. I took first, Shannon was third in Female 20-29, and Mom trophied as the first Female Walker.

Reminding myself that this was just a training race, but still, winning something makes training a lot more fun.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:06 | 03.1 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 5/40
Performance: Good
Course: Hilly out and back. First 3/4 miles was up a gradual climb. Next 1 1/2 was short, steep hills around a city sports park. Last 3/4 was back downhill the way I started.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes