The Run Inn
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 11s
Overall Rank = 24/198
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

I drove down to Bribie from Mooloolaba and snacked on an Endura protein bar and some water. I had registered for the short course race today and I had checked out the last race result times and worked out that 45 minutes was the time to beat if I wanted to place in the top 5 for my age group. I arrived fairly early as the short course race was due to start at 6.45am. I racked my bike, laid out my stuff, checked out the entry and exit points and then met up with some Pro Coach team mates. We had a bit of a chat about the race and then headed off to the start line at about 6.30am.
Event warmup:

On the way to the swim I spotted a mate from work and his son who were competing and wished then well. My work mate normally wins his age group (40-44) and this is somebody I look up to for advice and knowledge, and his son (13 years old) is an up and coming athlete (I'm sure he'll represent Australia one day in Triathlons). I checked out the swim course and was glad to see that 300m is not very far.
Swim
  • 05m 18s
  • 300 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was the first time I have ever done a beach start and what fun was had. I have never been pushed, jostled and smashed in the head so many times in all my life. After the initial run and bump start I settled into a good stride and set about rounding the buoys and finishing the swim as fast as I could. The swim was over in a flash and I got out of the water in a good time. I managed to push and sprint pass a few guys on the run to T1 as they were just taking it easy and jogging quite slowly.
What would you do differently?:

The beach start was a real eye opener as past races for me have been deep water starts. The main thing I learnt today was to be more aggressive at the gun and try to hold my ground in the run to the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My T1 was fast as i only had to grab my helmet, bike and glasses and I again managed to pass a few more guys. At this stage I wasn't too sure as to were I was in relation to the leaders.

It all went well.
Bike
  • 25m 2s
  • 13 kms
  • 31.16 km/hr
Comments:

I jumped on the bike and managed to put on my bike shoes without too much trouble. I got to see how much of a lead the front runners had on me as they rounded a turn and in the end i wasn't that far behind. This gave me a boost to try and chase them down. I pushed as hard as I could on the first lap but just couldn't gain on the leaders and ended up getting passed by one or two guys. I couldn't hold the same pace for the second lap so i got passed by about 4 or 5 guys on lap 2 (I just can't cycle to save my life).

The cycle leg was ok and my times are still improving so i just need to train more (I say this every report but do i train more......no!! oh well).
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was good and I found my spot, racked my bike, took off my helmet, put on my shoes and took off for the 3km run.

It was good and I think I have this down to a fine art, very happy.
Run
  • 13m 51s
  • 3 kms
  • 04m 37s  min/km
Comments:

At the start of the run I knew that I was close to the overall leaders and towards the pointed end of my age group as I started the run on target to better my overall time goal time of 45min. I ran past a few guys who had passed me on the cycle leg and nothing feels better then that. I found the run different to the longer races as I basically ran flat out for the 3kms, where in the longer races i would need to pace myself to leave enough energy to finish the run.

Nothing really, I ran as fast as i could for the full 3kms.
Post race
Warm down:

After I finished my race i caught up with my mates son who had come 3rd overall in the short course race (basically kicking my arse).

I was also able to lend some support to my other team mates who were still going around in the longer course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Very happy with the hit out today and the training is really starting to pay off. The bike section of my race is my weakness leg but I'm just going to have to live with that as I don't have any more time to commit to it.

Event comments:

Dropping back to the short course was the best decision today because I had a lot of fun racing. I bettered my goal of a top 5 position and coming second in my age group was just fantastic. I learnt that the shorter course is really about going hard right from the starter’s gun and not slacking off until you cross the finish line.

Next race is in January 2006 and I can't wait.

PS I have attached a copy of the silverware (well clayware actually) i won today. My son wants to take it to kindy tomorrow for show and tell, I think he is more excited about it then I am.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-12-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:18 | 300 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/16
Overall: 106/198
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: A beach start out to a buoy and down the beach to another buoy and then a beach finish. Tidal assisted swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:02 | 13 kms | 31.16 km/hr
Age Group: 2/16
Overall: 24/198
Wind: Little
Course: 2 laps of a flat 6.5km course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:13:51 | 03 kms | 04m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 20/198
Course: out and around a flat 3km course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2005-12-04 11:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Bribie Triathlon Race 2

2005-12-05 6:20 AM
in reply to: #298582

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Bribie Triathlon Race 2
Excellent job, its off season here and I was just really hungry for a triathlon race report. You had an excellent race and congrats on the Claywear.

Ken
2005-12-05 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Just brilliant Paul!! A second place?? That's just fantastic. Congratulations.
You got out there, you had fun & you picked up a little momento for the day.

Welcome back to the world of racing!! And bring on January.
2005-12-05 8:50 PM

User image

NSW - Australia

PODIUM FINISH FOR AG

What an awesome result. But what is great is a top 12% overall. Training is obviously really paying off and the season has still a long way to go.

GO YOU GOOD THING !!!!!!!

By the way great race report.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bribie Triathlon Race 2 Rss Feed