General Discussion Triathlon Talk » meniscus surgery - what to expect Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-11-03 11:36 AM

Subject: meniscus surgery - what to expect

Hi

After nearly 2 years of having knee pain, to a greater or lesser degree, its clear that the problem will not go away on its own so its surgery time. I am going in to have the meniscus trimmed in a couple of weeks and i just wonder what peoples experiences are both in terms of a recovery but also the op itself. I have never had a general before so slightly unsure what to expect and slightly frieked out by it.

Any advice welcome

thanks

2011-11-03 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3793977

User image

Warrenton, VA
Subject: RE: meniscus surgery - what to expect

I had 2 separate meniscus (medial) surgeries last year, one left and one right.  Both times the operation itself was straight forward and the recovery was pretty fast.  They gave me crutches to leave, but for the 2nd operation i didn't even use them.  My last surgery was June 9th 2010.  3 weeks later i was hiking at Yosemite and i started jogging not long after that.  Stitches from the 2 keyhole cuts were out in a week-10 days.

Since the surgery i have been running better than ever and am so happy that i got it taken care of. 

2011-11-03 5:32 PM

thanks for this - can you remember how long you were 'under' for in the OR? I think its the actual OP that frieks me out more than the recovery as i hope it to be fast although as i have had this for a couple of years i am not so sure it will be, although scans when it first started to bother me and more recently dont indicate anything else has deteriorated.

thanks

2011-11-04 6:04 AM

User image

Warrenton, VA
i think i was under for a couple of hours.  From the time i checked-in until i could go home was approximately 4 hours. 
2011-11-04 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3813528

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Talk to your doctor about this before hand. My aunt was VERY claustrophobic and needed to have MRIs. They gave her valium to help her calm down and get through it. this used to be done before surgery as well. Surgery is OK and, in my experience, fixes the problem once and for all. I've had 5 orthroscopic surgeries and all have only helped and solved the issue forever.

As for the meniscus surgery, it's pretty straight forward. Three very tiny incisions, some swelling and about 3-4 days of sedentary recovery is all you'll need. I was walking the same day. My pain immediately went away after the knee swelling went down in just a few days. The clicking and pain was gone and still, 3 years later, is gone. All better; all fixed.

Maybe schedule for a Thursday or Friday and have a 3-day football slackoff while you convalesce?
2011-11-04 11:27 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Opt for the spinal anesthetic, if you can. I find that takes a huge chunk out of the "recovery" issues (i.e. no barfing). Then you can watch, too. :-)

I used to have generals, but once I switched to spinals, my recoveries have all been much smoother.

2011-11-04 2:39 PM

User image

noblesville
Had my meniscus repaired in june was in at 6 home on the couch by 11 not a bad surgery at all. ans as my son kept telling me afterwards just do what the doctor tells you. mine was worse than expected 6 weeks on crutches, 6 weeks no running but it was definately worth not having the pain good luck with your surgery and rehab
2011-11-06 2:02 PM

User image

Expert

Had mine just about a year ago. I actually had a blast during the surgery. I stayed awake and my Doctor had to yell at me at one point because I had her laughing too much.

In at 10am out at 5 or so....

Did the Gran Fondo NY 6 months later...

Running has been hard for me but that's mostly mental....

Eric J

2011-11-07 5:04 AM

i have not been given the option of a spinal and i am not certain that i'd want to be awake with them fishing around in my knee like that, although i only had a local when they were sewing a tendon back together in my hand and that was an interesting experience.

I assume it will only take 20 minutes or so so i hope the recovery from being under wont be too bad.

I have been told a week no driving, is that because of the need to do an emergency stop or something? Will i be walking or on crutches and finally, should i expect much swelling as thats something thats never been an issue so far?

thanks

2011-11-07 5:58 AM
in reply to: #3836238

User image

Champion
General anasthesia isn't so bad. I know it seems scary, but really, it's not bad. Ask if you can have a valium or something to relax you; you're nervous and that's OK. Be honest with the staff. They won't judge you.

I've been under many times and I find that I'm very forgetful for that day. I've said in the evening that I need to call my mom and tell her it went OK. I did that 4 hours ago according to my wife. I had no memory of it.

Be certain you have someone with you that day just to make your life easy. Get some Sucrets or something for a sore throat. For my 2 achilles rebuilds and the shoulder resection, I had a sore throat for a couple days. Although I don't think they do assisted breathing during meniscus surgery. That was what is called "twighlight sedation" and is no big deal.

Some of the swelling is from inflation. I know it sounds gross, but they inflate your knee so that they can work the scope more easily. That deflates quickly and the trauma swelling is minimal. The no driving order makes sense for the reason you specify.

Good luck; the outcome is so worth the inconvienience of surgery.

2011-11-07 6:10 AM

thanks for the reply - i am going to ask my ortho a couple of specifics but thanks for the general heads up good to know its not so bad!

2011-11-07 8:33 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

I am 100% serious about asking your anesthesiologist about the spinal, though...I was really hesitant about it the first time, but once I did it, I'd never go back to general. You don't HAVE to watch...I just preferred to (and even then, they have you draped, you watch via a monitor--like watching TV set to the surgery channel). Actually, you don't even have to be awake. You can also elect to have a spinal with a sedative, so you'd be asleep, more or less, if you're worried about it. For me, general just introduces a whole slew of other crappy-feeling-inducing side effects that I prefer to avoid, esp. for such a short procedure.

Anyway...as far as recovery: Even if it's just a clip, it really depends on what they do, as well as on you...sometimes you're up and walking out of the hospital, other ties you might need to crutch for a bit. As for no driving, I can see how if it's on your right leg (and you have an automatic transmission) you might not have the ROM/sensation to drive.

The swelling is usually the worst part, at least in my experience it has been. Start doing your ROM stuff ASAP, and ice ice ice.

2011-11-07 7:59 PM

User image

Expert
chewymix - 2011-11-07 5:04 AM

i have not been given the option of a spinal and i am not certain that i'd want to be awake with them fishing around in my knee like that, although i only had a local when they were sewing a tendon back together in my hand and that was an interesting experience.

I assume it will only take 20 minutes or so so i hope the recovery from being under wont be too bad.

I have been told a week no driving, is that because of the need to do an emergency stop or something? Will i be walking or on crutches and finally, should i expect much swelling as thats something thats never been an issue so far?

thanks

The shot before the general put me at ease, very at ease...

The spinsll literally paralyzes you from the waist down. Kind of weird but not a big deal. You feel absolutely nothing... NOTHING.

You don't see anything but what the Arthroscope camera ses inside your knee as you have a tent blocking your legs.

I was on crutches for a week and had to ice constantly using an ice machine that transfers just the cold air through a tube to the wrap around your knee.

It helped that my Surgeon is amazing...

Eric J

Edited by Courage 2011-11-07 8:01 PM
2011-11-14 2:01 PM

OK i made it though! The general was not a big deal at all in the end one minute i was chatting to someone, this was clearly a distraction technique, the next minute i woke up and within a few few minutes felt fine.

So far knee feels OK and i am not taking any pain meds, it makes strange squelching noises which i presume is the fluid they put in, its stiff and sore but not painful as such. Apparently the tear was quite frayed so he trimmed it back rather than attempting a repair as he said the fraying would just tear again. Not sure how much he took out but did not sound like a huge amount.

I have noticed that the front of the knee slightly below the knee cap feels numb, is this something they put locally in the knee during the OP to help with pain? I had not noticed this before i had got home so could not ask the ortho.

So right now i am a bit stiff and sore in the knee and its a bit swollen and squelches. Does all that sound pretty normal?

thanks

2011-11-14 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3901587

User image

Champion
chewymix - 2011-11-14 3:01 PM

OK i made it though! The general was not a big deal at all in the end one minute i was chatting to someone, this was clearly a distraction technique, the next minute i woke up and within a few few minutes felt fine.

So far knee feels OK and i am not taking any pain meds, it makes strange squelching noises which i presume is the fluid they put in, its stiff and sore but not painful as such. Apparently the tear was quite frayed so he trimmed it back rather than attempting a repair as he said the fraying would just tear again. Not sure how much he took out but did not sound like a huge amount.

I have noticed that the front of the knee slightly below the knee cap feels numb, is this something they put locally in the knee during the OP to help with pain? I had not noticed this before i had got home so could not ask the ortho.

So right now i am a bit stiff and sore in the knee and its a bit swollen and squelches. Does all that sound pretty normal?

thanks

Sounds like the op will really help. The fraying repair is really successful.

Sounds OK. start that pain med before you need it though. If you get miserable, it doesn't work as well. I get a raging headache if I try and tough it out.

Also, pain meds will constipate you, so a stool softener and lots of water are good ideas with Vicodin or Oxycodone.

Edited by pitt83 2011-11-14 3:59 PM
2011-11-14 5:17 PM

this squelching sound from in the knee is so off putting while trying to do knee bends and leg raises, uuuggrrr

2011-11-14 5:42 PM
in reply to: #3901587

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
The numbness is normal. It may come back in a couple days...couple weeks...or...longer. But it's normal.
2011-11-15 12:40 PM

yeah i am already starting to get more 'used' to the loss of feeling, either that or its come back a bit in 24hrs already. Anyone got any ideas on the fluid in the knee? This seems to be causing me some resistence in the joint as if i try to flex it too much i feel pressure build up, then hear the fluid move, and then the knee moves a bit more. I think this is fluid they put in during/after surgery but i wonder how long it takes to drain away.

2011-11-15 4:26 PM
in reply to: #3902994

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Keep icing and doing the ROM stuff...it will go down eventually.
2011-11-18 1:14 PM

question to the veterans of this procedure - when you say it fixes the issue would it be 'normal' to still have jointline pain at 4 days post OP? The swelling is coming down and ROM is getting easier and i have lots of knee acheyness at the front and side due to where the scope went in i think but should i expect that the joint lin pain would be gone immediately or is it a fades over time thing?

thanks

2011-11-18 3:20 PM
in reply to: #3907456

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

Yes.

Simple procedure or no, it's still a substantial amount of trauma to your body. Pain is normal.

ETA: also, if you have any bone bruising or similar, that isn't going to be fixed--and it will need time to heal as well.

Edited by mmrocker13 2011-11-18 3:21 PM

2011-11-18 3:38 PM

good to hear thanks, i think the problem is that its somewhat made out, at least it was to me, that you'll be good to go right off the bat and it was slightly concerning that even though the swelling was coming down nicely and things were starting to move more freely, i still could feel the jointline pain.

i'll keep up with the icing and gentle ROM and PT before i see the 'real' PT on Wednesday for something more specific than quad work.

thanks

2011-11-18 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3907694

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Totally depends on you--you could have pain and swelling and whatnot for a month or more. IT's not unusual. Don't baby it, but don't expect it to be perfect 6 days after surgery. :-)
2011-11-18 6:58 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I have not had menicus surgery but Ihave doen thousands of them (sports trained orthoedist)  I have out liers on either side.  I can do teh same suregry on 2 people on the same day and one goes otu and play 36 hoels of golf the day afer surgery and the other in incapacitated for 6 weeks. 

My middle of the road meniscectomy pt will 1-use crutches 2-3 days 2- see me 7-10 days psot op and be a little gimpy but OK and I will start them in therapy 3- at 3 weeks wil still be having a litle pain but are on the mend 4- at 6-8 week be back at full tilt

2011-11-18 7:23 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I had mine concurrently with ACL repair, so I don't know what solo would be like.Nutrition and follow dr's orders.That includes PT and when to back off.For me the hardest part is always when I felt too good to not do things, but having to have the discipline to hold back and not get in over my head.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » meniscus surgery - what to expect Rss Feed  

of 3