General Discussion Race Reports! » State Interclub Championships Mandurah Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

State Interclub Championships Mandurah - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mandurah, Western Australia
Australia
Mandurah Tri Club
20C / 68F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 43s
Overall Rank = 187/224
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 62/87
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 2pm to a howling wind and rain starting. Forecast was for rain and wind and cold. (WHERE IS SUMMER and when is it coming, I'm putting an offical complaint in to the weather makers here)

Fell back to sleep only to hear the alarm go a couple of mins later (no not really but it felt like that) had to get up at 4.30am so I could leave at 5am to drive down to Mandurah. Mandurah is an hours drive south of Perth. Had some food in the car on the way down there. I don't recommend driving at that time of morning to a race or eating in the car on the way to a race. Both didn't agree with me to well.

It rained the entire drive down and I started to panic a little and also wonder what on earth possessed me to sign up for this race.
Event warmup:

Had plenty of time to organise my gear and panic about the weather at the transition area. Met up with my Tri Club. it was an Interclub Championships so it was all about getting points for racing for your club. Girls got more points then boys.

did some stretching and a little more panicking about riding in the rain and wind. and then panicking about being the only one without a wetsuit. (turned out there were 3 of us without a wetsuit)

so it wasn't really the best lead up to a race
Swim
  • 00m
  • 750 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

There weren't any splits taken so I can't tell you the times of the swim. But they would ahve been fairly average. the swell and chop were really big. I was fine temp wise without a wetsuit but the buoyancy would definately have helped. I just had a crappy swim, the surface chop of the water was so bad that breathing on either side oyu copped a mouthful of water. about halfway through I started wondering what I was doing the race for at all.
What would you do differently?:

Get a wetsuit. Concentrate on the swim. Complain about the weather lol!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had a pretty good transition, squirted sand of my feet socks on shoes on helmet on and off I went. I think it was quicker then last weeks.

As you'll read further on I mustn't have cleaned all the crap of the bottom of my feet. so next time make sure there is nothing on my feet before i put my socks on.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 18 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

This is where it all started to go bad. There was a serious headwind on the out part ofthe lap. I stoopidly pushed a training ride to hard on Sat and was really feeling it in my legs on the bike. The wind was even stronger then the tri last week and going up hills I felt like I was pedalling backwards. I kept takling to myself and saying it'll be all right at the turn around you will have the wind behind and get to fly back. BUT NO!! at the turn around you headed in a slightly diff direction so there were cross winds.
It was just hard. I did push it as hard as I could when the wind was behind but overall it was an average ride

Stay in bed. But seriously not push to hard on the day before a race. (As these races weren't A races I wasn't too worried baout them but for my next few races I'll concentrate a bit more on race lead up stuff)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Jumped off my bike ran in switched shoes and headed off again. My feet were a little numb

Nothing
Run
  • 00m
  • 5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

My feet were numb for the first half of the run but when I started getting feeling back in them I realised that something was up with my left foot. I thought my sock was bunched up a little, so my left foot was giving me a few problems. I had a fairly good run, nothing to eventful, I passed a few of the girls that passed me on the bike and no girls passed me on the run. So fairly happy with the run.

Make sure my feet don't have any little sticks or twigs in my shoes before going out on the run. Drink a little more on the bike and on the run
Post race
Warm down:

Headed straight to the Club tent and took my shoes off my left foot was throbbing at this stage. There was a tiny (and I mean tiny) little stick in my sock with a very pointy end. the pointy bit had stuck into my foot and caused a nice blister. (its only little fingernail size) but it was really painful.

chatted with everyone from the club about the race etc. Waited for the presentations as the rain started again. We didn't win the trophy's back we came very close on the averages trophy but just not quite.

I won a bottle of wine from the spot prizes!! I'm on a roll with spot prizes at the moment!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep, too much training the day before, crappy weather conditions. Not being able to run very fast. ummm I could go on and on.

Event comments:

Ok so it wasn't the best race ever the conditions were crap but I'm pretty happy with my effort being the first time I have done this distance.

Ernie I think the lack of speed today can be linked directly to the lack of vegemite consumption before the race. If I'd had the vegemite toast I would have been heaps faster :) lol!

Last updated: 2005-12-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 750 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/87
Overall: 0/224
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It was a strange shaped course, A deep water start and almost a rectangle but it was longer on one side. Left hand turns at the buoys. Just two waves Female and Male
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 18 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 2 9km laps right alongside the beach
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 05 kms |  min/km
Performance: Average
Course: an out and back course along the canals.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-12-11 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: State Interclub Championships Mandurah

2005-12-12 6:39 PM
in reply to: #303441

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: State Interclub Championships Mandurah
Hey Mel,

It looks like you had a real learning experience. I've never raced in real bad weather and I don't think that I want to. I also don't want to swim in 64 degree water without a wet suit. You are much tougher than I am.

I think you did great for the first time racing at this distance with what I assume are experienced racers. Usually with a club championship race, you don't get too many beginners. The bike ride must have been frustrating with all the wind.

Anyway, congratulations and next time don't forget the vegamite.

Ernie
2005-12-13 9:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: State Interclub Championships Mandurah

Thanks Ernie!!  I was thinking about you and vegemite on the drive down to Mandurah.  hehe!

Well suprisingly the water temp didn't seem to be that bad. It was cold when you first jumped in but once I did a few strokes I wasn't worried about the temp the wetsuit would definately have helped buoyancy though.  

I've had some exciting news though I was talking to a friend last night who surfs and is sponsored by a wetsuit company and he said he'll be able to get a tri wetsuit for me possibly for free!!

and yeah I'm pretty sure most of the people racing on Sunday were pretty experienced racers,  so I'm proud of my efforts esp in crappy weather.  (bring on summer!!)

2005-12-14 3:36 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » State Interclub Championships Mandurah Rss Feed