United States
35F / 2C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 65/250
Age Group = 35-40
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I rode my bike approx 5 miles to the run site. Stood around in the near-freezing cold for an hour because I wanted to soak up the atmosphere as this was my first event of any kind, ever. Loved it, except for the cold. However, it taught me that all kinds of people are able to put the cold aside in order to accomplish something they consider important.
Event warmup:

Walked around briskly and did some running/jumping in place. I didn't really do much of a warmup as I was afraid of wearing myself out and didn't think I was going to run very hard anyway. I usually use my first 10 minutes of running AS my warmup.
Run
  • 24m 30s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Took off like a shot and got caught up in the pack. A big guy passed me and I decided to ride his coattails as long as I could. I made it the first .8 mile with him, otherwise I never would have run it that fast. After that I just kept pushing myself.
What would you do differently?:

I loved the idea of taking off like crazy and just pushing myself as hard as I could, all the way through. I ran it like a sprint, even though I did not have the endurance to cover the distance. Next year I'll run it the same way, but I'll have the endurance.
Post race
Warm down:

Stood in the freezing cold with my wife and kids in their winter gear. I wasn't expecting anyone there and my wife brought the kids to the finish line and surprised me. It was awesome. I'll never forget it. It was a very emotional scene for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ha! My fat ass. No seriously, I've only been running for a few months.

Event comments:

This race wasn't real fancy but for my first race ever it was just right. I plan on running it every year to celebrate my start in this phase of my life and my kids want to run it with me from now on. We'll see how that goes!

Last updated: 2005-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:24:30 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/250
Performance: Good
First mile 7:30. Second mile 7:50. Third +.1 mile 9:10.
Course: Packed gravel at Lippold Park. Nice easy run, partially through trees. I liked it.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes