Leesburg Rotary Club
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 99m 17s
Overall Rank = 457/471
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/14
Pre-race routine:

Ask myself WHY this seemed like a good idea as the alarm went off. Then a bagel & some Gatorade for breakfast and a bit of coffee on the way over to the race.
Event warmup:

General stretching and bouncing around to warm up. (I'm just not a big fan of running before I run...)
Run
  • 99m 17s
  • 7.92 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Out of the start, across a big field, around the fence and over to the Estate and the trails - very pretty. First mile always sucks for me, my body fights me going, "Why are we running? We're not being chased. Stop it!" By the end it usually figures out we are going to run and then cooperates.

On to mile 2 - the deer running through the fields with us was a nice touch. About 3/4 of the way through the mile, got a nasty stitch in my side - slowed down and walked it off. When I saw the split time at the water station, I realized *why* I felt like someone had stuck a fork in my side. Hi, pace yourself much?

Slowly walked the water break at the end of mile 2, cause I didn't want that stupid cramp/stitch to come back, but overall still feeling good and enjoying the day and generally amazed that I'm not dying due to the previous three weeks of inactivity.

Hit mile marker 3. This is where it gets interesting... Passed mile 3 thinking, "1 mile til a water break, woohoo!". Hit a fork in the trail, we're directed to go left down to the turnaround then come back and go off on the other fork. No problem. So we go. And go. And keep going. Where is this turnaround? Damn, I gotta walk for few steps. Wow, this is taking FOREVER. Oh joy, a hill. A big hill. With a dead-end! The turnaround! Around and back downhill we all go. But, damn, it's been an hour. I'm slow, sure, but it doesn't take me an hour to go 4 miles, even though I am wearing down and walking a little more. Did we miss the marker? Why didn't they have a water station? My god, how much farther do we have to go? We get back to the fork in the trail, and ask the volunteers there what the mileage is at this point. "Well... I don't know exactly, but there was supposed to be someone down that trail to turn you around...you have all gone at least an extra mile (turned out to be 1.9 extra...) Oh. My. God. Fortunately, the "Mile 4" marker was not too far off, WITH WATER!

Walk the water break again, I nearly picked up and hugged the little girl passing out the cups. All form has gone out the window. I have the style of a 6 year old being chased by a bee. I'm just sort of bouncing down the trail singing along to my ipod. Walking every now and again, but only for short periods still. I am determined that I am gonna run as much as I can. Hopefully without barfing at the end like last time. :)

Final mile. Volunteer tells me "Wow, you've still got some bounce in ya! That's great!" Bounce, seizure, whatever ya want to call it. But hey, just a mile left. One mile. That's it. I can go a mile. I can totally go a mile. We come out of the Estate on to the side road that leads back to the fields and the FINISH LINE. I ask another volunteer - is that really the field I think it is? Yes. Woohoo!! As I pass through the gates, of all the things to pop up on the ipod, I get "Scotland the Brave" on bagpipes. I think about my ancestors. Clan Wallace. And damned if I am going to not continue the tradition of kicking ass. Out of nowhere I let out a battle cry as I am going across the fields (I've lost all grip on reality at this point anyway, what's a little yelling?) The finish line finally gets there and I manage one little last psychotic burst to go sprinting the last bit, they call my name as I come across (that was cool) and I get high fived by someone as I am screaming "HOT DAMN! I did it!" Then I fall on my ass in the corral and decide not moving feels REALLY good. Another volunteer comes over, gives me a bottle of water, asks if I'm OK - I've got a shit eating ear to ear grin - "Yeah, I actually am OK." "Well, congrats, you just ran 7.9 miles." I near fell over right there. The 6.2 originally planned would have been a distance best for me - kinda kicked that out of the park. :)

And now I have to go find a Sharpie and fix the mileage number on my shirt.
What would you do differently?:

Would have actually worked out in the past 3 weeks, but hey, family happens. Also would have figured out a way to keep the course marshal from getting abducted by aliens.
Post race
Warm down:

Fall over, sit for a while, drink some water, then stretching and headed home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Obviously the lack of activity in the past 3 weeks didn't help, but I'd say other than that, I felt fine about my speed.

Event comments:

Basically due to the extra miles that were accidentally tacked on, they needed one more water station, but oh well, things go wrong sometimes.

Last updated: 2005-12-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:99:17 | 07.92 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/14
Overall: 457/471
Performance: Good
1 -- 11 49/60, 2 -- 10 7/60, 3 -- 14 7/60, 4 -- 32 36/60 - this mile was actually 2.7 miles long... 5 -- 15 17/60, 6.2ish -- 15 36/60
Course: Gorgeous - Morven Park Estate - mainly gravel trails, fair amount of hills, incredibly scenic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-01-01 4:41 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Rotary Resolution 10K

2006-01-01 5:01 PM
in reply to: #314703

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Rotary Resolution 10K
Great job on the race!  And after all those tasty beverages last night, COLOR ME IMPRESSED!!
2006-01-01 7:44 PM
in reply to: #314710

User image

Elite
fitphd - 2006-01-01 6:01 PM

Great job on the race! And after all those tasty beverages last night, COLOR ME IMPRESSED!! :) :)

All I can say is "Thank God for Gatorade" - probably a good thing I didn't know that trick back in my younger days, or I'd have no liver left. :)
2006-01-02 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Great race!.  It sucked that the race went long but way to hand in there and set a personal distance record.  I liked your report especially your description of how you were running.  Did you run like Pheobe (Friends Reference)?  Congratulations.

Ernie

2006-01-02 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
YOU ROCK!!!!

I KNEW you could do it! I am so glad the universe conspired against you to get you to stop holding back!!! YAY!

AND, you didn't even puke. It's like you weren't even trying, really

Good job babe. You'll be kicking my *** in no time.
2006-01-02 2:38 PM
in reply to: #315068

User image

Elite
ejc999 - 2006-01-02 1:47 PM

Did you run like Pheobe (Friends Reference)?

Totally and completely. I was just to the point of near giggles and also thinking things like "what if I just rolled down this hill instead of running it?"

2006-01-02 3:08 PM
in reply to: #315099

User image

Elite
ChipmunkHeart - 2006-01-02 2:35 PM

AND, you didn't even puke. It's like you weren't even trying, really

Would you beleive, that actually went through my head? It was SO cool when they told me at mile "4" that we'd gone at least an extra mile, I knew I still had enough left to do two more miles, if a tad slow.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rotary Resolution 10K Rss Feed