General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Major Open water swim, any tips Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-01-05 1:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Subject: First Major Open water swim, any tips
Next weekend is my first open water swim (500m) which is not parallel to the shore i.e it goes out to a buoy, along parallel to the shore around a second buoy and back to the shore.

Any tips would be appreciated as my swimming is not that strong at the moment and I wanted to move up from the try-a-tri to sprint distance.

Thanks Guy

2006-01-05 3:35 AM
in reply to: #316902

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Zealand
Subject: RE: First Major Open water swim, any tips
Hey Guy, well one of the major things to do before your race is to practise swimming in open water before your race (a bit difficult since your tri is in the weekend), on race day make sure you get into the water early and get accustomised to the temperature.   Are you comfortable swimming in deeper water where you can't touch the bottom?  It definitely helps to swim in the location of your race yo get a feel for where the actual swim will be.  Another tip is to try and stick on the heels of a slightly faster swimmer so you can swim in ther slipstream, like drafting on a bike, in the swim it will be easier to swim behind someone else as they break the water ahead of you and the bubbles from their swimming creates a lot more bouyancy.

Also, if you have got a proper triathlon wetsuit, use that as I know the NZ waters ae pretty chilly, brrrr.

Hope some of these tips help, and good luck for your race. 
2006-01-05 7:19 AM

User image

Master
Cinnaminson, NJ

I assume this is some sort of race you are doing?  If it is i would start out to the right (assuming you are keeping the buoys to your left) away from everyone and slowly work your way to the left you'll start out with some clean water, but as you slowly start swimming left you'll mix in with the group and get the sensation of what it feels like to have people around you when you are swimming.  Starting out to the right you will avoid some of the people running into the water at the same time and getting punched and kicked.  Don't forget to look up when you are swimming so you can see where you are going.  You can also use the other swimmers and where they are to help you swim the course. 

good luck.

2006-01-05 7:20 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Just make sure that you look up every now and then to make sure that you're headed the right way. My first open water swim was this summer. I got tired of looking around for navigation, so I just put my head down and swam for about a minute straight. Amazing how far off course thta got me.

My last open water swim I found someone wearing bright yellow shorts that I could see underwater. I tried to keep even with the shorts so I didn't have to navigate much. I let them do it for me. That's definitely the hardest part for me compared to a pool swim - not having the lines on the bottom of the pool to keep going straight.

2006-01-05 7:24 AM

User image

Giver
If it's not a race, make sure you aren't alone. Either have someone swim with you, or maybe paddle alongside you.
2006-01-05 7:49 AM

User image

Tulsa, Oklahoma
All great advice. Navigation can be challenging in open water. Spotting your position frequently is important, you may have sore neck muscles afterwards, but getting off course would be NO fun. Is this a race? Let the more experienced, faster racers go first, hang towards the back......this will help avoid being trambled. Is the water typically calm? Obviously if the water is choppy......you will work harder so take it easy....don't kill yourself on the swim.

Good Luck, give us an update after the race.

2006-01-05 1:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Sorry I should have mentioned this was a race, I am moving from the try-a-tri distance to sprint. I have done several 100m open water swims but these have been along the beach but this one is much bigger.

Thanks for the advice
2006-01-05 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

Everyone (well the sane ones anyway!) hate the swim and are nervous at the start. All the advice has been excellent, especially staying out of trouble at the start and taking your time getting into the water - ie not being sucked in to running flatout into the water so that you end up gasping for air when you do start the swim. It's amazing how many people are struggling by the first bouy because they start way too fast. Good luck for the weekend (from one Kiwi to another)

2006-01-05 4:08 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Ummmmm, don't drown?  Sorry, somebody had to say it.  Sealed
2006-01-05 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

We've all been there.  Swimming is the only discipline that has such a high "freak factor".  Its something that you'll easily overcome with time.  Hopefully, you:

1. Have swam at least 3-4 times this distance during your pool workouts.
  2. Have practiced open water swimming in the ocean prior to this race so you know how currents, waves, and limited sight distance will affect you.  If you can see the bottom, you can navigate by the ripples in the sand.
  3. Have developed a "never say die" attitude so that if you do freak out during the swim, you know how to calm yourself down and continue on.
  4. Will place yourself at the back or outside of the pack when you enter the water.  That way, you can focus on your breathing and rhythm instead of fending off the other swimmers.

In my first triathlon, I had to stop a few times to catch my breath.  I couldn't control my breathing and heart rate.  It wasn't a great experience, but I didn't quit.  You'll make it through.  Enjoy the race.

2006-01-05 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

I'm not sure what type of race you're doing or how many competitors will be accompanying you but expect the water to be crowded. Since there aren't any lanes or much etiquette for that matter you should expect to be bumped, dunked, splashed and cut off. Don't worry about it. Since this is your first open water experience of this magnitute your primary goal should be to finish. As such if you need to stop or slow momentarily to let others move away or pass, do so.

Navigation is probably your biggest concern. It is very easy to find yourself off course so you'll need to look forward every few strokes or so in order to keep your bearings. If there is large chop or swell where you will be swimming you probably won't be able to see your chosen landmark if you decide to check your position while in the bottom of a trough. Try to time your 'look' to occur while you are on the top of a wave so you'll be able to see your landmark.

Speaking of chop... if there is chop (and there most likely will be a much greater level of chop compared to your training pool) you will need to bring your head higher out of the water than you may be accustom in order to breath. Also, if there is wind coming from one side or the other it might be a good idea to breath on the side away from with wind. This will help prevent water from being blown into your face/mouth.

If you are going to be in a large lake, river or in an ocean enviroment you may have to contend with currents. These currents can go unnoticed until you find yourself off course. Swimming in relation to a current might necessitate that you smim at an angle rather than directly at your target in order to compensate for the pull of current.

Lastly, whatever you do... don't think about the possibility that you might be eaten.

2006-01-05 4:59 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Remember that sharks like to pick off the stragglers, so stay in the pack. Oh, and don't wear yellow (their favorite color). 
2006-01-05 6:19 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I had serious swim issues...freak out factor big time. Friends here on BT helped me overcome them. One of the biggest tricks is to count strokes.(Rob's tip)..it keeps your mind busy so negative thoughts don't multiple...hard to count and think about weird things. I also used the image of Dory from Finding Nemo who said keep on swimming. I actually watched the DVD and found the spot and watched it over and over.

Even though I am a very BOP swimmer, I find warming up really helps...all the fast people do it...but more than that you get used to the temp, the waves, and it is a little preview of what is to come.

As much as this is a race, you want to stay calm and get through the swim.  If you start to panic at all, stop, look around, take it easy...enjoy it and get through it any way you can..doggie paddle, breast stroke, side stroke are all okay.

If you panic, get a cramp, need a break, you can hold onto a raft, bouy, or whatever and not be disqualified...they can not propel you, but it is an option I didn't know about when I started.

I did two tris last year where I was last out of the water. As the last swimmer in the water, I always got a personal boat that went along with me. I would talk to them, and they were great at cheering me on...expect when they asked if I every practiced...not much motivation there.

Biggest factor to improve is to try doing the swim distance in similar situation with other people. Do you have a tri friend who swims faster than you do? Ask them to go swim the course a couple days before your tri with you. You will gain a lot of confidence doing the course and knowing that 500 yds is doable in the cirucumstances you'll be doing your tri.

Good Luck! Keep on swimming! Count your strokes if you feel panicky.

2006-01-06 8:39 AM
in reply to: #317632

User image

Buttercup

RedCorvette - 2006-01-05 4:59 PM Remember that sharks like to pick off the stragglers, so stay in the pack. Oh, and don't wear yellow (their favorite color). 

Oh, you are mean! I like this side of you, Mark.

To Guy:

Your mission is to simply experience the swim and prove to yourself that you can handle the OW swim. Swim at your own pace. It's important that you have a go-with-the-flow attitude. Don't fight the ocean. Before you start your race, resolve to stay focused and calm throughout your swim. Tell yourself you can handle it (you can) and that you will do just fine. This is a mental exercise more than anything.

I see that you swim > 1,000 meters in your swim sessions, so this distance is very doable for you (physically). Keep yourself focused and calm. If you start to panic, just flop over onto your back and float for a few moments, take a few slow, deep breaths and resume swimming. If you have swells, just swim through them. The swim will be harder with swells but, still, very doable. It's only 500 meters, after all.

It will be over before you know it. Swimming in the ocean is so cool; it's my favorite place to swim. It's exhilirating if you allow yourself to to enjoy the moment.

2006-01-06 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
The last time I swam in the ocean, it was "angry" and it was no fun. It was more survival until you got out past the swells. Oh and then you had to come back in (after swimming along the coastline)........had to keep looking back to make sure I did not get pretzeled by one of the waves!!!

You will not have this problem though and if there is a current going with you then you will be flying. Just stay calm and take a couple of breast stroke if you heart rate gets out of control and remind yourself during the swim that you have swam this distance many times before!! It will be a blast!!
2006-01-06 9:12 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Everone has given great advice... all I have to add is this:

Do NOT get freaked out by swallowing water. It's OK if some water goes up your nose...etc... and if you start swallowing it. Don't let that stop you.

I have only done open water swims lakes... and everytime I do... I swallow water and it goes up my nose. To some, this can be very upsetting and stop your flow...but just keep going... you will be fine.

2006-01-06 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
Don't get caught up in the excitement and keep your cool, concentrate on form and breathing. In my first ocean tri, I gulped down a huge amount of salt water, man, that cramped my style....as said, warm up and get used to the water temperature.....swimming is swimming, you will get used to this very quickly....the biggest problem folks have reported here in open water is the panic attack, the fact that the water is deep and murky and they are way off shore. In many tris you see some people hanging off of kayaks after a few hundred yards, they just lose it even though their training was adequate...
2006-01-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: #317998

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Good point.....but keep in mind that if you get assistance from a kayak, you can finish the race. If you freak out too bad and cannot get it under control, then hang onto the kayak for a minute and get your composure back and then continue the race and kick some butt!!! I don't think you will need it though.

us50090 - 2006-01-06 10:13 AM

Don't get caught up in the excitement and keep your cool, concentrate on form and breathing. In my first ocean tri, I gulped down a huge amount of salt water, man, that cramped my style....as said, warm up and get used to the water temperature.....swimming is swimming, you will get used to this very quickly....the biggest problem folks have reported here in open water is the panic attack, the fact that the water is deep and murky and they are way off shore. In many tris you see some people hanging off of kayaks after a few hundred yards, they just lose it even though their training was adequate...
2006-01-06 9:26 AM
in reply to: #317632

User image

Regular
Durham, NC

RedCorvette - 2006-01-05 4:59 PM Remember that sharks like to pick off the stragglers, so stay in the pack. Oh, and don't wear yellow (their favorite color). 

remember, you don't have to out-swim the sharks, you just have to out swim a few other racers so that they get picked off!

2006-01-10 2:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Thanks for all the advice guy's, will let you know how Sunday goes.

Note to Self: Remember not to wear yellow and make sure there is somebody slower behind me as bait.
2006-01-14 9:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Auckland
Just got back from completing this Sprint Tri (My First) and was very happy with the Result 1:30:23.

Thanks for all the advice about the swimming it helped a lot. I started at the back of the group to avoid the stampede at the beginning and managed to catch a few people later in the race.

Mainly a mixture of breaststoke with some freestyle and a little backstroke but found this took me off-course so stuck with sighting the buoy. The first buoy seemed to take ages to get to but the second buoy was much quicker and then back to the shore.

The womens group in the event started 5 minutes after us so it was around the second buoy I started to get swum over and leg pulled etc.

Overall I think my time for the swim was about 20 minutes and considering I have only been training for the swimming around 5 weeks I was happy with this but need to work on my freestyle to gain the most efficiency and speed in the water.

Getting eaten did enter my mind for a minute especially when the mens swim caps turned out to be yellow but we don't have many sightings of sharks around Auckland !.

Thanks for all the good advice leading up to the event and my race report will go live tomorrow when the BT server date reaches the 15th as here in NZ we are a day in front of the US.

Cheers Guy

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Major Open water swim, any tips Rss Feed