General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Elite Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 33s
Overall Rank = 14967/18536
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1048/1114
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine cosisted of a light breakfast, some light stretching and standing around waiting for the rest rooms.
Event warmup:

no enough
Run
  • 3h 04m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 14m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off slow, which sounds funny coming from someone who averages 14min/ mile but I just wanted to enjoy the run and get a chance to warm-up and stretch out the legs before the course started to angle up ever so slightly.

Hit the 5k mark 3 min slower than I did last year, that was OK considering I had to stop for a minor pit stop about mile 2

At the 10k mark I had gained a little on last years time and was only 1 min down.
I was feeling good taking my salt tabs and drinking what I brought rather then hitting the aide stations (wanted to light the load, sort of speak) I also found my self trying to run only on the water side of the aide station, the sticky ground from the power drink was driving my crazy.

Well, I made it to the 1/2 way point by now and picked up the pace and by the time I made it to the 10 mile mark I had made up some time and was now 6 minutes ahead of last years time. Only one more 5k to go and if I pick it up a bit I could break 3 hours. Now I know some people would chuckle at someone trying to break 3 hours but for me that’s big.

I managed to pick up the pace but I had hardly anything left and was forced to walk some. I keep reaching inward to pull some energy from somewhere but I just couldn't seem to do it.
As it turns out I gained another 6 minutes on last years time and finished 13 mins faster than last year but 4 minutes short of my goal.

What would you do differently?:

I think I did what I could to get to the finish line. Maybe I should have paid more attention to my nutrition but for the most art I had a plan and I stuck with it until the end.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around the finishline area tring to get some food and recovery drink then walked down the marathon course to look for my brother coming in. Ran just a little bit with him at mile 25'ish to cheer him in then walked back to the meet him at the finish.

The walk back to the car (about a mile or so) helped stretch out the legs as well.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have been giving this a lot of thought. I can't even tell you how frustrated I am on how slow I run. My wife reminds me that I have come along ways in just under 2 years from not being able to walk up the stairs without wanting to pass out to completing 1/2 marathon and 1/2 Ironman races.
I guess progress is slow but I’m still seeing some, I getting healthy, haven’t been hurt (knock on wood). So the answer to this question is me, but I’m improving on that every week and I’m stubborn as hell so its only a matter of time until I can get down to a respectable running time.

Event comments:

I like this race. The people how put it on do a great job. Its very organized and well run. This alone can make or break your day. It was really nice running with so many people although I did find myself slipping into someone elses slower pace or slowing a bit to listen to one of the bands. Overall a run good running day.

Last updated: 2005-12-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:04:33 | 13.1 miles | 14m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 1048/1114
Overall: 14967/18536
Performance: Average
HR seemed high for most of the race avg about 163
Course: A point to point run from downtown Phoenix to Downtown Tempe
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-01-16 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Subject: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon

2006-01-16 11:23 AM
in reply to: #324841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mesa AZ
Subject: RE: P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon

First of all, I remain inspired and awed by your accomplishments.  You are slamming all these distances and it is just amazing!

One thought; I have that exact same problem - my speed sucks and it frusterates me.  I have actually decided that for this year I am going to not try to go up to a half iron man (as originally planned) but take a season with nothing longer than an olympic and mostly sprints and work on speed.  My hope is that I can build some speed instead of pushing the endurance further. 

I know you are doing IMAZ in April (GO JOHN!) but you might want to think about following a similar course after that.  Just a thought....

2006-01-16 5:03 PM

User image

Wow!  You should be very proud, tackling a 1/2 mary is no mean feat!   COngratulations (from a fellow slow runner)
2006-01-18 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
thanks for the kind words
2006-01-18 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Hey congrats!!

13 minutes off your prior time??! That's incredible. And just think... every year, another 13 or so off your time. Who wants to mess with an equation like that?

Great job, John!!

(See you soon!)

Dana
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P. F. Chang's Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Half Marathon Rss Feed