General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Phoenix, Arizona
United States
Elite Racing
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 14m 13s
Overall Rank = 5475/8031
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 588/659
Pre-race routine:

Lessons learned from last year: get dropped off, avoid the shuttle bus (delays), skip the 1st area with port-o-potties and use the less crowded ones....stay warm until time to drop off goodies at the gear check area, stretch and get excited about embarking on my 2nd marathon.
Event warmup:

Gentle stretching. Accidentaly brough my "stick" so I used it to do some rolling/massaging just prior to the race (in retrospect, I should have used it more, based on how my calves felt later in the race...).
Run
  • 5h 14m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran mostly between 9:45 and 10:30 the 1st 8 miles. Started to creep into mid and upper 10's between mile 8 and 12.

After a quick bathroom stop (it was thoughtful of the race organizers to arrange to have that alley/trashcans available...), I was running in the high 10's low 11's until around mile 14.

Mile 15 through 18 saw a gradual creep into the 12's and low 13's. I tried to run steady, but my pace seemed all over the place. Mile 19 and 20 sucked. I was really starting to slow. Uh-oh, just like last time.... I was running in the high 13's now.

I nearly was ran over by an ambulance that was crossing the course in mid stream of runners (It had lights on, but no sirens/sound. Between wearing hat pulled low to block the sun, and being tired and only looking at the ground 3 feet in front of me, I did not see it until I was practically in the grill. I think those drivers are still laughing at my surprised and horrified expression when I looked up and saw them).

At mile 20 I walked for about 1/8 mile, ate some gummy-sharks, regrouped and tried to get it going again. If I ran 10 minute miles the rest of the way, I would make my goal of sub 5 hours. That did not happen....

At mile 22 my right knee begain to freak out. Happened at mile 19 last time. It came on fast this time. But I was prepared. I had brought an ACE bandage (just in case) to wrap around my leg just above the knee to support the ITB. I reached back for the bandage and...it was missing from where I had stashed it in my belt - Dohhhh! Used my 2 patella straps to lash together and creat a makeshift ITB strap. It worked. I lost a little bit of time patching myself together though.

Ran/jogged in the high 11's to low 13's the rest of the way. I felt like I was running downhill from mile 24 on. It was still work, but I knew I was almost there. Mile 25 had a special treat of running into a strong headwind, but it didn't matter at that point. My brother ran me in part of the way during mile 25 - Thanks Bro!.

It was really great to turn the last corner and come down the stretch. I ended up taking about 7.5 minutes off my previous marathon time so it was an improvement. I guess I'll just keep chipping away at it...
What would you do differently?:

Train better. I really slouched on my run train for some good and bad reasons. I also need to do some better run-specific strength training on my legs. They were just wiped out after the run yesterday.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked, hydrated, sat down on an electric cart that apparently belonged to a VERY crazy man who later SCREAMED at me. Major over-reaction by a deranged person...I was too tired to be upset about it...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wimpy little legs...not so wimpy belly...

Event comments:

This is a well run race. Lots of bands, cheerleaders, volunteers working hard for you. It's alot of fun and I'm sure I'll do it again in the future.

Last updated: 2005-12-10 12:00 AM
Running
05:14:13 | 26.2 miles | 11m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 588/659
Overall: 5475/8031
Performance: Good
I goofed up and accidentally stopped my watch for about 20 minutes early in the race - I HATE when that happens.
Course: Mostly flat, some inclines, but they were very long and gradual.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-01-16 2:35 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

2006-01-16 10:06 PM
in reply to: #325044

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon

Congrats - great race!  I love RNR races.  They are so much fun!

2006-01-18 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Mesa, AZ
Great race Dan, way to hit you goal time (almost). Maybe I'll be up for this race next year, that is if the girls don't decide to do the 1/2.
2006-01-18 1:33 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Woohoo!!! So number 2 felt smoother, hunh?? I wonder if I should... (o; Nope. Saving it for IMAZ!

Dana
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » P.F. Changs Rock 'N' Roll Arizona Marathon Rss Feed