United States
Houston Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 53m 37s
Overall Rank = 1487/5430
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 51/141
Pre-race routine:

Got up with a little less than 3 hours 'til the start. Got in the shower to help wake myself up. Woke up Brad and went downstairs to have a banana and a whole wheat bagel or two with peanut butter for breakfast along with my AminoVital. Packed all our stuff up and got on the road.
Event warmup:

We parked and got to the convention center with a little less than an hour to spare. The weather was cool but not too uncomfortable just wearing my race clothes. As we walked up to enter the convention center a woman starts yelling my name and jumping up and down. It was Celeste(CitySky)! I'm impressed that she recognized me since we had never met. We went inside to find that our designated meeting place was blocked by a temporary wall. So instead of waiting next to the porta-potties we headed to the other side of the arena to wait and stretch.

With about 20 minutes left we headed outside to get our place in line. Brad was in the front corral and I was in the back so we parted ways. He was gunning for a 4 hour finish and I was looking for 5 so we knew we wouldn't see each other until after we were done. The line to get past the gate was ridiculous and by the time I got in the gun was about to go off. Took me a good 5 minutes until I got to the line and was off and running.
Run
  • 3h 53m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Being in the back corral I knew it would take me a while to get to the front. I knew it was pointless to try and jog to the line with everyone else. With 17,000 runners it wasn't going to make a difference. After 5 or 6 minutes of walking I finally hit the timing mat and was off and jogging. I bobbed and weaved my way through the crowds but I didn't fight too much. I wasn't trying to really run this marathon so the crowds were a good way to keep myself in check early on.

Got to the first bridge and the half and full marathoners merged together. What a mess. I like big marathons but the mass starts really get on my nerves sometimes. I found myself hopping back and forth over the median in order to find room to run. I would pick a mark to run behind for a minute and when some space opened up I would sprint through until I hit the next wall of people and then slow down to pace off of them. The half and full seperated again at mile 2 before coming back together again at mile 3.

That was pretty much how it went for the next several miles. My pace was on target for my projected 5 hour finish, but I just wanted to find some nice open space to run in for a while.

Just before mile 7 we hit the section with the majority of the fans (except for the finish of course). I could hear people in the crowd cheering for a group of marines ahead of me. Hmmmm. My friend Julia is a marine and running her first marathon today with a bunch of her marine buddies. I pick up the pace a bit and low and behold it's them! One of them was even running his first marathon in boots and fatigues! As we talked for a bit a random woman came up beside me and handed me one of those purple braclets everyone seems to have for a cause these days. This one said "Freedom is not free"! Possibly the coolest thing anyone has ever done for me at a race! I put it on, thanked her and kept pacing my friends. They were looking for a 4 hour finish so I was a little surprised that I had caught up with them. Apparently I was moving a little faster than I had planned, but I felt great so I saw no reason to slow.

After a mile with them I decided to sprint on out ahead and do some speed intervals to break up the monotony. Cranked out mile 8 in nearly 7 minutes flat. Mile 9 was where the half runners split off and turned back around. Finally! I had room to run! I could already start to feel the soreness in my ankle so I decided that I would keep up the intervals until the half-way point and then slow to an easier pace.

Made it past Rice University and hit the half marker at a pace for a 3:30 finish! I was destroying my 5 hour goal by accident but I saw no reason to slow down that much. I started to think about trying to break my marathon PR (3:45) but I didn't want to beat myself up that much today. The Mardi Gras and Austin marathons are just around the corner afterall. I ran over the 59 access road and decided to let off the gas after that.

At mile 16 I caught up to a guy running in a tri top and shorts. Looked at his arm and he had a tattoo of the IMCDA logo! Had to talk to this guy. His name was Demitry and he also had an IMLP tatto on his left arm and a swimmer/biker/runner on his lower back. He's been doing Ironmans for the last 5 years and had been running ultras for the last 2. Turns out he was at Sunmart running the 50-miler when I was there doing my first 50K. He's also going to be organizing the Texas Independence Day 5K in Austin. Really cool talking with this guy who loves endurance racing the same way I do.

We talked for about 2 miles before I decided to take my first walk break at mile 18. At mile 20 we hit Memorial Park and mile 21 was the truck handing out free Michelob Ultra. Personally I can't stand Michelob Ultra but at this point in the race I'd make an exception. My ankle was getting worse so it was a perfectly good excuse to walk for a minute. Went past mile 23 and Buffalo Bayou Park when I saw a guy running the opposite direction in an IM top. It was Dave Scott! I checked the race results and he wasn't listed, but I met him at a tri in Irving just a few months ago and I'm sure it was him.

Mile 24 brought us back to the course the half runners had already been over and the crowds were back in full force. Sadly, I was drained. I had already hit the wall and just didn't care enough to push through it. Had I started the day chasing a PR I might have pushed harder, but today I was just happy to run/walk the rest of the way and get to Celeste's BT post-race party afterwards. The angle of the roads was really doing a number on my ankle by this point so I made sure to run in the middle of the road whenever it was possible.

Headed into downtown and was just a mile from the finish now. As I came around the next to last corner two guys thanked me for carrying the flag and said that they were running with me the rest of the way. Crap. All I wanted to do was walk to the last corner and then jog in the rest of the way. Now I have to run to make these guys happy! Fine. One last half mile won't kill me. We jogged to the corner and as we made the turn we could see the blue finishing banner a good ways down the street. Picked up our turnover and really pushed the pace those last few blocks. The crowds were roaring as we came across the finish and I was ready to get in line for a massage.

Sub-4:00 finish on a day when I was planning on taking 5. On top of that, Houston made it 2.5 marathons in 9 days. I'm pretty pround of myself for that one. Next year I hope I can string 4 or 5 marathons together on consecutive weekends.
What would you do differently?:

Run slower. I pushed myself in the beginning to hurry and get away from the big crowds of runners, but I paid for it at the end of the day.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finisher photo taken, got my medal and immediately jumped in line for the massages. It was about a twenty minute wait and just before it was my turn my friend Cheryl walked up to the back of the line. I had met her at a tri in October (she goes to A&M with a friend of mine from high school) and this was her first marathon.

Got my massage and then walked around to get my finisher premiums (a techincal shirt and a mug). On my way back to towards the finish I found Brad who had missed his goal of 4:00 by nearly 30 minutes. He was in pretty bad shape. So I left my stuff with him so he could sit in one spot while I looked for our friend Audrey (she had just run her first half). Ran into Julia and she and her friends had finish in about 4:20. The guy running in boots had some major blister problems towards the end and Julia fireman-carried him for a good half mile. This chick is such a hoss! Found Audrey and we got Brad, walked to the car and were on our way to Celeste's party!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running a full and a half marathon the week before this marathon.

Event comments:

Houston is a top-notch race. The course is flat which can be a little difficult at times. I prefer to have a few hills in the mix to work some different muscle groups along the way. I'm sure I'll be back again next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-09-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:53:37 | 26.2 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 51/141
Overall: 1487/5430
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 9:53, AVG HR: 139 Mile 2 - 8:22, AVG HR: 154 Mile 3 - 8:14, AVG HR: 154 Mile 4 - 8:05, AVG HR: 153 Mile 5 - 8:38, AVG HR: 150 Mile 6 - 8:25, AVG HR: 150 Mile 7 - 8:11, AVG HR: 152 Mile 8 - 8:19, AVG HR: 154 Mile 9 - 7:03, AVG HR: 163 Mile 10 - 7:41, AVG HR: 158 Mile 11 - 8:01, AVG HR: 151 Mile 12 - 8:16, AVG HR: 149 Mile 13 - 8:17, AVG HR: 149 Mile 14 - 8:07, AVG HR: 150 Mile 15 - 8:25, AVG HR: 147 Mile 16 - , AVG HR: 149 Mile 17 - , AVG HR: 149 Mile 18 - 8:51, AVG HR: 149 Mile 19 - 9:43, AVG HR: 145 Mile 20 - 9:53, AVG HR: 143 Mile 21 - 10:50, AVG HR: 140 Mile 22 - 9:47, AVG HR: 144 Mile 23 - 10:38, AVG HR: 141 Mile 24 - 10:17, AVG HR: 145 Mile 25 - 11:09, AVG HR: 138 Mile 26 - 9:40, AVG HR: 149 Last .2 - 1:36, AVG HR: 162
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-01-18 2:02 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2006-01-18 2:26 PM
in reply to: #326838

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: Houston Marathon
Said it before and I will say it again: stud
2006-01-18 2:29 PM

Queen BTich

I bet Demitry didn't have a big ass.

You're awesome! "Oh...I'll take it easy and run 5 hours. Oops, ran 4 instead."

2006-01-18 2:45 PM

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Aaron, are you still doing the Austin Marathon?
2006-01-18 3:43 PM

Master
Colorado

Yeah, you know, I was trying to take it easy and run the Disney 5k in 2 hrs, but I accidentally picked up the pace and ran it an hour! Whooosp! I paid for it at the end -- those margs cost me almost 40 bucks, and my credit card was sore!

So, you see, I know exactly how you feel.

2006-01-18 7:02 PM
in reply to: #326935

Queen BTich

But they were the bestest! margaritas ever!! Just think if we didn't have them..

..stop...hyjacking...aarons...RR....

ChipmunkHeart - 2006-01-18 4:43 PM

Yeah, you know, I was trying to take it easy and run the Disney 5k in 2 hrs, but I accidentally picked up the pace and ran it an hour! Whooosp! I paid for it at the end -- those margs cost me almost 40 bucks, and my credit card was sore!

2006-01-19 12:10 PM
in reply to: #327023

Master
Colorado

Oh it was it worth it -- just sore

TriComet - 2006-01-18 8:02 PM

But they were the bestest! margaritas ever!! Just think if we didn't have them..

..stop...hyjacking...aarons...RR....

ChipmunkHeart - 2006-01-18 4:43 PM

2006-01-20 8:43 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-01-20 9:01 AM

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Another great race, my friend.  You are simply unbelievably amazing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Marathon Rss Feed