General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super Mini Tri? (Not so super) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-06 11:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: Super Mini Tri? (Not so super)

Well I talked my wife into going with me to the site of my first tri near Cedar Rapids, IA. (The Pigman Sprint)  She was going to help me take notes - figure the transitions and all that good stuff. Maybe she sees how much fun this all is and gets all wired to want to get into this stuff

So - the plan was 1/3 of the swim, 1/2 the bike and 2/3 the run with appropriate transitions. Result? Swim: The water was about 50 degrees and choppy with about a 25 mph wind - so feet and face were mighty cold - barely got in 200 yards - endurance stunk with lots of "catching my breath" - oooh it was slow. Coming out of the water to T1 I stumbled a bit and spoke harshly to my wetsuit for not wanting to come off properly. Getting into my new Performance shorts (saving time by standing rather than sitting), put my big toe through the seam and sat down involuntarily - but hey - we got dressed, got through T1 and headed out for the ride.

Ride: Well - almost headed out for the ride. There is this grade out of the T1 area and for those who didn't know - it is very difficult to coast uphill with one foot clipped and the other trying to get in the clip. So my dear wife is watching me in what felt like slow motion as I fell to the left on the asphalt. More harsh speaking to my bent mirror and bleeding elbow. I didn't mind the fall so much as I did the prospect of bleeding all over my new shirt and ripped shorts. Fortunately...  my wife had a bandaid. It was on her little toe where she has a corn - but hey - stop the bleeding right? (Make a note dear - bandaids in the backpack.)

Here's where it gets fun - my dear betrothed is giving me this look (maybe you've seen one like it?) "What?" I ask. (No words - just the look.)  "Hey - I'm having fun here!  I realy love this sport. It's a blast okay?" As I ride off, I hear this uprorious laughter as though she's thinking she doesn't really want to have this much fun in her life. Downhill - that's it. Both feet in - ahhh! Now it's fun - for about 7 1/2 miles. Good hills, fast flats - nice.

Run: Okay T2 goes just fine. No spills, no harsh talking, take right off and by golly all those folks are right. Bike to run (especially when the run begins with an upgrade) feels like running with some of those Al Capone concrete shoes. 1/2 mile or so the legs are warmed up and the rest of the run is great.

Finish Line: Feels great to stop and cool down - my wife is talking to some guy (who claims to be about my age - I think he's discussing how retirement age folk should slow down, take it easy, fish, et...) I ignore him and smile at my cutie - "See... it's fun!"

[Now - if I can just get that 4th sport down. (Swimming - the open water kind. I can do the pool - this feels like a different sport.)  All hints are deeply appreciated.]  

2004-05-06 12:41 PM
in reply to: #23303

Regular
Colorado
Subject: RE: Super Mini Tri? (Not so super)
You're such a good writer Malvey! Love your humor and perspective on the struggles we all encounter. I've been a little out of the loop on this website lately, as I had a 2 week trip to sea-level San Fran and have been busy at work since my return... excuses... but I found when I got back to CO that I felt so out of shape in the pool. My arms were getting tired more quickly, my breathing was weaker. I can barely get a half second glide off my flip turn before I'm popping my head up for air! I'm on week two of being back at one mile high and am finally getting back into the swim of things.

Swim advice: well, I do think that endurance in the water feels different than when running or biking. There's some carryover, but being in great shape for one doesn't always translate into easy breathing in another. That's the beauty of triathlon and cross-training. I have a competitive high school swimming background, and with that comes a familiarity with laps, hard workouts, and years and years of habits, both good and bad. I spend one day a month working on technique, practicing my form, and trying to be conscious of establishing better swim habits. So I am a firm supporter of TI and drills. However, I also think it's helpful to add in some sprint workouts and get used to being really pushed and winded in the water. There can be a different sense of panic when you're short of breath AND your head is underwater. It's good to get comfortable with that and know your limits, so that you know that if you swallow 100% water on one breath, you'll really make it ok to the next one without stopping. Or, if someone swims over you, you'll come out of it ok even if you can't touch the bottom. Your background with treading water, waterskiing, and being in lakes is helpful with some of those fears. If you're able to add in one open water swim a week, that will be the best practice for the uniqueness of open water swimming and its uncertain conditions (wind, waves, sun, temperature).

Here are some concrete ideas for pool workouts. Warm up with 200 swim, 100 pull, 100 kick. Just easy pace. Take 20 seconds rest or so, then swim a continuous 100 free- neither slow nor sprint- and note your time. You can use that for your base time. At this point you are still relatively fresh. Now, do 5 x 100 free and try to maintain the same interval. Add 10 seconds to your base time and leave on that interval for all 5 100s. By the 4th and 5th ones you'll probably feel it. I know repetitive sets can get boring, but they're really helpful. If you have access to a masters swim group, it's fun to swim with friends. But even on your own there are ways to mix it up. I sometimes type my whole workout in my logs, so you can see some swim workout examples there. I'll remember to do that more consistently now so others can use the workouts too. Just adapt the distances and times to your own situation. Instead of aiming for 3 x 200's, try for 3 x 150. Really, it's going to be hard, but that's how you improve. If you notice your stroke is going out the window, give yourself an additional 5 seconds for each segment of the set and slow it down just a bit. The idea isn't to churn the pool up and go as fast as you can, but to find your cruising pace, and just push it a bit from there, with some workouts focusing on distance, others on sprinting, and maybe once a week max focusing on drills.

You'll do great Malvey, and are smart to be practicing the open water and transition pieces now. You've got the bike and run down pat, and have been dedicated in cultivating your good swim technique. It's a journey, and consistency and sticking with it are 70%. (I should take my own advice and apply it to my running )

Let me know what you think.... enjoy... Kim
2004-05-06 12:58 PM

Thanks Kim for this great workout idea, and I will appreciate you writing up your workouts in your logs.

John --you are going to be so fantastic in you tri!!! I have yet to get into open water, and now that I have come down with this (whatever it is -- may be just a cold, but I am really feeling crappy and running a low grade fever) I don't know just when I will get into open water (and my wetsuit). Ideally I would like to plan to swim in open water once a week -- maybe on my rest day as I do not intend to swim very far. I jsut want to get used to my suit and swimming in the lake.

If you are continually swimming in such cold water (50 degrees is coooold) perhaps you want to get (a safety!) cap! Or at lease wear 2 or even 3 swim caps. And cold feet can be just as disconcerting -- maybe some dive booties? Just a few ideas.

Thanks for writng of you experience -- it really does show me that I need to get in there!

2004-05-06 2:31 PM

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
You make this sound awfully appealing. I'm so glad I'm already registered for Pigman, or I'd probably be rationalizing my way out of it right now.

If it's really going to be 50 degree water in Palo I guess I'd better get a wetsuit or convince the US to convert to celsius pronto.
2004-05-06 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa

Thanks Kim - great advice - I'm planning on more time in the pool - haven't really been pushing myself and need to fo that. Nancy - I did swim with dive booties my first time - not yesterday. (Go try that wetsuit.)  Carrie - the water temp will be quite a bit better by June 6. One of the DNR folks told me yesterday that May will see a pretty good rise.

2004-05-06 5:12 PM

Regular
Colorado
About the swim cap in open water--- I forget what they're called, but they do make a wetsuit type swim cap that covers your ears. My friend used his in the Colorado Spring Chill triathlon last weekend. I don't think booties are allowed during races, but this nifty cap is.

2004-05-06 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Bronze member
Tells me that there's nothin like the real deal to REALLY train, eh ? Give you LOTS of credit for even DIPPING A TOE in to do that swim !!(lol) wetsuit or not !!!! Thanx for telling the story !! (so....is your wife on board now ??!!)
2004-05-06 5:49 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
oh my God, I am craking up just reading your account of the day! I only wish I could be there with Janelle on race day! Thanks for the chuckle and I hope you're not too sore from your spill.

So did Janelle race right out and sign up for the race too?
2004-05-06 5:55 PM
in reply to: #23368

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
Yeah, I have to admit, my husband has that "look" mastered as well. Sort of a "there goes my crazy wife again", accompanied by bemused shrug. Maybe the SOs should have their own site - TriAnon? "Tips and community support for dealing with the addictive personality in your family", that sort of thing.
2004-05-06 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Malvey! That was fun--thanks for the pick me up story! I can't believe your wife isn't convinced yet!! :-)

BTW--Kimber, next time you are out this way for work (and you have time) you better drop me an e-mail so I can take you somewhere and feed you!!

I'm shocked (shocked!!) that you would come out this way and not find a fellow BTer!!

;-)

Dana
2004-05-07 10:33 AM

Regular
Colorado
You're right Dana! I wasn't even thinking- that would have been fun. I did spend an evening walking around Berkeley with an old friend of mine. She's Tibetan so we ate at the Tibet Cafe, it was a fun time and such a nice place to live!

2004-05-07 2:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Don't know if she will jump in on this or not Ellen - but I think she's of the opinion that she is going to run out and sign up for one of these just as soon as she figures why it is so much fun to freeze and to fall off a bike with your feet locked in! She liked the idea of a support group for SO's - TriAnon sounds good.
2004-05-07 4:15 PM
in reply to: #23576

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I've been thinking about this. The TriAnon site could have features like the Triathlon Expenditure Calculator where people could figure out exactly how much their SO has spent on tri gear, races, coaching, etc., and what that $ would be worth today if invested in a nice mutual fund. You'd have to balance it of course with the health care savings and life span increases achieved by all of us getting off our butts. The TriAnon people could organize their own tents at triathlons. This could be big.
2004-05-07 8:04 PM

Iowa
Hey Carrie,
I would like to talk with your husband sometime about getting this group going. I think it would be alot of support for those of us who don't "GET IT" as they say. I will be signing up for a triathlon just as soon as I figure out the great fun Malvey says it is. You would have enjoyed the little words he was saying as he was trying to pull that wetsuit off. That really looked like fun!! And then the little tumble with elbow bleeding, oh so much fun!!!! But being the wonderful SO, I still support him anyway!!
I did think the park was fun and enjoyed the beautiful scenery!! ;-)
2004-05-07 8:47 PM
in reply to: #23642

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
ebayseller - 2004-05-07 4:04 PM

But being the wonderful SO, I still support him anyway!!

Hmm... sounds a little co-dependent. You are definitely ripe for TriAnon!! (o:

Dana
2004-05-09 4:29 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I think that it was Bingham who said that there is nothing better than a race to humble yourself and sometimes, training can be a humbling experience.  Even though you had a great time teilling your story, it is still evident that you learned a lot from the experience.  Keep up the great work!

2004-05-09 6:10 PM
in reply to: #23601

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Subject: cost of tri'ing
you know, as great as this sounds....I don't think I want hubby adding up all of my race expenditures. So far this year we have 6 race entries, 1 wetsuit, 1 trisuit, 1 swimsuit,1 set of tires, handlebar tape, running shoes, biking shorts, Y membership and I'm sure there will be plenty of other odds and ends as the season progresses. Nope, no need to add all that up! But I wonder, how close to a two-pack-a-day cig habit is it?? That's always my line of defense if I need one. Good thing I didn't have to buy a bike.
2004-05-09 8:49 PM
in reply to: #23859

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: cost of tri'ing

Tri-Anon...that's hilarious!!!   I'd say sign me up, but that would suggest I want to stop! 

As far as adding up expenses...I have a distinct recollection of my wife going along with these triathlon equipment purchases and saying "this is good - you only have a bunch of one time expenses, and then you're set forever....".   I was trying to hide my alarm/discomfort knowing that it never stops......

Dan

2004-05-09 9:44 PM
in reply to: #23642

User image

Expert
Mount Vernon, Iowa
I never realized how much help and motivation my husband provides until I had to do a tri entirely without him because he was gone on business. Everything was much more stressful and tiring, and it wasn't nearly as much fun getting to the finish line without him there waiting for me. Now I'm trying to show my appreciation more!
2004-05-15 9:36 AM
in reply to: #23883

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Yup - In spite of all the joking around, my wife is my biggest fan and support. I don't know anyone else who would put up with a pigheaded Irishman like me  She and my daughter are my motivation. (Now, If I could just upgrade my Shimano gearing a notch or two - maybe next year ay?)
2004-05-15 2:00 PM
in reply to: #25118

I haven't read all the responses so please pardon any duplicate information.

Don't worry about the hill in transition, they don't allow you to mount your bike until you're out of the transition area. By that time you are on level ground.

Spray Pam cooking spray on your wetsuit from your ankles to your knees and your wrists to your elbows before the race, the suit will slip right off in T1.

And the water will be over 60 by race day.

Edited by JoeR 2004-05-15 2:03 PM

2004-05-15 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Actually - this was all tongue in cheek Joe - I use body glide - that works well - uphill??  Gotta try it once don't you think 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Super Mini Tri? (Not so super) Rss Feed