Sports Performance
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 56s
Overall Rank = 120/150
Age Group = 20 - 29
Age Group Rank = 15/20
Pre-race routine:

slept like a baby last night. I was feeling so crap/sick yesterday came home from work crashed and burned on my couch and was in bed by 8pm.
Had vegemite on toast for breakie (just for Ernie) then packed the car, my friend arrived around 5.20am packed her gear in the car and off we headed.
Event warmup:

Being Australia day a girl sang the National anthem, aussie flags everywhere. Its a great day to do a tri!
Had a stretch and a hammer gel and I managed a bit of a swim warm up too. there was a mini sprint on today too. The mini sprint waves started first. then the mens sprint waves started and we were lucky last. (I always get slightly worried when my wave starts last thinking that if I do happen to come last everyone is going to see me coming last hehe, but after today I've also realised that you get to pass the slow people from the waves before so it can be good)
Swim
  • 07m
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 45s / 100 meters
Comments:

Today's water conditions were perfect!! What a change to yesterdays weather. I had a fantastic swim. time wise it probably wasn't the fastest but I felt great in the crystal clear flat ocean!! It was a deep water start out by a buoy I was with my friends for the start, I sat behind two girls who are generally faster then me. I got a good start and swam on their toes and had a good draft for the first 200m then realised I was just cruising along so kicked it up a notch and passed the girls and swam the second half in on my own. Good swim all up
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

My transition was really slow. I've really got to work on my transitions, I just kinda dawdled didn't do anything wrong it was just all slow.

Get myself organised!
Bike
  • 00m
  • 20 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I checked my time coming out of the water and then again jumping on the bike and realised my heart rate monitor wasn't working. (first time I've worn it in a race) It was at this time I realised that I hadn't set my bike computer. turned it on about .5k into the ride.
There was a really strong headwind on the first lap heading out. I decided to just out fairly easy (not easy but not push it into the wind) and then push it really really hard iwth the wind behind. so was riding about 28k out and then got up to 45k on the way back.
I managed to keep those speeds on the following laps. so overall I'm happy with the ride. there were alot of people on the course there was alot of drafting and blocking, which was frustrating. One guy was driving me nuts. I'd pass him so he'd speed up and pass me and sit out to the right so I couldn't pass him again. but it was good it gave me incentive to ride faster I sped up and flew passed him.

Drink more on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I was pretty fast getting my bike shoes off and runners on. but then I stood up and got disoriented as to which exit I needed to go out of out of Transition. I really must have stood there for at least 30secs.

Not stand like an idiot wondering where I was sposed to run. I wasn't thinking all that clearly. Possibly should have listened a little better in the briefing hehe!
Run
  • 00m
  • 4 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

My heart rate monitor wasn't registering on the bike. I got it back working on the start of the run, but it was really bothering me and the strap gave me a stitch so I ended up taking it off and running with it in my hand.
My run time was really average I would say don't know what it is yet. But I was just really happy to finish the run as I've not been feeling great all week. there was only one drink station at the start of the run so at the halfway point it was quite warm by that stage I really could have used another drink.

The end of the run we had to run along the beach for 600m and then up over a sand dune back to the grassed area for the finish chute. Running up that sand dune was definately a challenge and would have been funny for spectators not so much fun or the competitors!

More run training. Figure out how to get the HRM strap not to give me a stitch yet still stay in the right spot.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted to everyone (its funny this time last year I didn't know anyone apart from my dad at tri's in a year I've made soo many new friends!) Watched the rest of my friends finish. Stretched while the presentations were on.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of running training, feeling sick all week definately didn't help. the one good thing is that I didn't have any pain at all in my quad!! So there is hope I may be able to do the olympic distance tri soon.
It was quite a warm day I really should have drunk more on my bike.

Event comments:

It was a great race being Aussie Day! Had a bbq afterwards, bacon and eggs on the bbq with a beer. (not normally a beer drinker but you gotta do it on Aussie day!)

I don't know the splits as they weren't taken and my hrm stopped working properly. I do konw the swim time and I came out of the water 2nd in my age group which I'm happy with!! My run time was slow!

Last updated: 2006-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 400 meters | 01m 45s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 0/150
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Deep water start from a buoy swam parralel to the crowd.
Start type: Plus: Waves
Water temp: 23C / 73F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 20 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Age Group: 0/20
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: 5 laps of an out and back course. Strong headwind in one direction
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 29
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 04 kms |  min/km
Age Group: 0/20
Performance: Average
Course: Loop few little hills The end of the run was 600m along the beach and up a sand dune! Interesting finish to a run
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-01-27 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Australia Day Tri

2006-01-27 9:22 PM
in reply to: #333654

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Australia Day Tri

Great report and race Mel.  Once again the powers of Vegamite have been vindicated.  Even though you didn't have the times posted, you must have done pretty well if you were watching your friends finish.  That must have been a good feeling.   I'm glad that your leg didn't give you any problem.  It's a good sign that it didn't act up when you were pushing hard in a race, especially running up a sand dune.  I'll be interested to see your swim ranking, I'll bet you were near the front of the women.

Congratulations on a great race and I think you'd do great at an Oly.

Ernie

2006-01-27 9:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

Ok just got the overall time,  don't have splits,  but got the overall time, I don't think  i have any other race with those distances to compare it to though. 

Thanks Ernie! and yes Vegemite has come through again,  I'll convince you all one day of the greatness of vegemite.

I don't think I can do the run segment yet of an oly but I've got a plan for that for next week,  I'm going to do the swim and ride and my friend will do the run for the Perth Oly.  I know its not the whole thing but its about the best I think I can manage!

and yeah I came otu second in my age group in the swim,  lost that spot on the run when they all started going past me. hmmm

2006-01-29 4:53 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Hey Mel,

Looks like a pretty good time to me And i think its azing you got through it not feeling 100% too! You are an absolute legend - cant wait to see you in Noosa at the end of the year (i hope)

Cat

2006-01-29 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Mel, You are a swim goddess!

Ernie

2006-01-30 10:06 AM

Subject: ...