Plano Pacers
57F / 14C
Precipitation
Total Time = 47m 59s
Overall Rank = 23/52
Age Group = 25-34
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Showered and had the usual Powerade and Clif bar at 6:30, 90 minutes before the start. It had been raining since 5. Checked the weather and it said it should clear off by 7, so that would give about an hour for things to dry out. Didn't happen. It rained all the way to the race site and was still raining when we left.

Mainly just tried to stay dry and figure out what to wear during the race. I decided to leave my sweatshirt on over my race shirt.
Event warmup:

Did some light stretching under a pavilion. Couldn't do my normal 5 minute warmup. Well, I could have, but I preferred to stay dry a little while longer.
Run
  • 47m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

First mile was 6:40. Thought that was a little hot so I backed off a little bit. Second mile was 7:40. Backed it off too much. At this point my feet were starting to get soaked and weigh me down, but not nearly as badly as my cotton sweatshirt. Felt like I gained a couple of pounds every mile. Somewhere in mile 3 there was a 3 inch dip on the trail. Couldn't go around or avoid it, so I just went straight through it. That really weighed me down.

Hit the 5K around 23:30, about a minute off where I wanted to be (goal was 45 minutes). Ran back through the puddle again and hit the 4 mile mark around 31:30. I was getting tired. Running with the extra weight was getting to me.

Got passed by 3 people on the 4th mile. Managed to stay with one of them until the 5 mile mark, which I think was about 39 minutes. Really tired now. Felt like I was wearing a flak jacket or something. Again heard footsteps behind me, but resolved not to get passed again. Finally hit the 6 mile mark around 46 minutes. Used what I had left to push through the last quarter mile and finish. 3 minutes slower than what I was shooting for, but the conditions were less than optimal.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear the sweatshirt. Some kind of windbreaker or even a poncho would have been better. I felt great before the race but carrying the extra weight cost me big time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit then jogged out the run with Shannon on her way in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather was a major factor. Rained steadily the entire race. Also had the wrong attire.

Event comments:

Can't be dissapointed about missing my goaltime. I keep reminding myself that this was just a trainer for the half mary next month in Austin. There was constant rain, I made some boneheaded clothing choices, and I still set a 10K PR by 8 minutes.

Last updated: 2006-01-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:47:59 | 06.21 miles | 07m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 23/52
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back over city streets and Plano trail system.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2006-01-29 2:07 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Plano Pacers 10K

2006-01-31 3:11 PM
in reply to: #334272

Subject: RE: Plano Pacers 10K
Congrats on the awesome PR! 8 minutes is huge!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Plano Pacers 10K Rss Feed