General Discussion Race Reports! » Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Pine Mountain, Georgia
United States
Hughston Orthopedic
52F / 11C
Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 10m 52s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to the race, about an 1:15 away, ate 2 snickers on the way, jogged 200 yards to the restroom and back.
Event warmup:

Just crack my knuckles and go.
Run
  • 5h 10m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I registered for the marathon a while back, not realizing that injury would prevent me from training for a marathon. My intent was to drop off at the half mary finish, but they gave me a shirt before the race that said "Marathon" so I was inspired to earn it. Plus, I felt pretty darn good halfway through so I kept going. I picked up the pace at the halfway point and passed 7-8 runners, but my hamstrings completely gave out at about mile 19. I mean, like when you lift weights and you can't get the bar up for one more rep, that kind of giving out. So I walked uphill and ran down for the next five miles, making sure I kept my victims behind me, until mile 24, when my spirit followed my hamstrings into the abyss ans I mostly walked the next mile. At the 25 mile mark one of my victims passed me back, which was more than I could take, so I leaned forward, hoping my legs would keep up, and gutted it out to the finish, regaining and holding my position (which was otherwise meaningless since this victim was outside my age group and gender) Somehow, I was awarded the 2nd place plaque, leading me to believe that there were exactly two competitors in my age group.
What would you do differently?:

Next time I might actually train for a marathon, or at least make a few longer runs. As it was, I exceeded my previous long run by exactly 16.9 miles. Also, lose some weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Limped to the tent to collect my award. Ate two bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm fat and out of shape.

Last updated: 2006-01-29 12:00 AM
Running
05:10:52 | 26.2 miles | 11m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Ran the first half with Kelly, who dropped off at the half mary finish line. After that I set a decent pace, for me, that lasted two miles, then a modest pace for three, then a death march the rest of the way.
Course: Hilly. I grew up near here and the place is gorgeous, but much better in the Spring. I never notice the hills in the car before, but there were some tough ones. The race info says people choose to qualify for Boston here because of the course similarities, and someone told Kelly at the race that we made a poor course selection fo our firts mary/half mary.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-01-29 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon

2006-01-30 6:59 AM
in reply to: #334480

Subject: RE: Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon
nice run!! I couldnt imagine doing the full on that course. Although the scenery is amazing!! Maybe next year I'll join ya for the full.

2006-01-30 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Congrats on going the full distance ... and the hardware!

Having done the tri on a similar course there, it's a beautiful place to push yourself towards a near-death experience through exercise!

2006-01-30 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Great job babe!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hughston Orthopedic Hospital Marathon - 1/2 Marathon Rss Feed