General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water NIGHTMARE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-05-10 11:58 AM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Open Water NIGHTMARE
Holy Open Water Nightmare! Had my first open water race Saturday. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

It was everything bad that I have heard or could have imagined for myself. First, I get in the water before my wave starts, and the water is very cold. I try to swim a little, and when I put my face in the water, the air just will not come out of my nose! Then, when I turn to breathe, all I can manage is a desperate gasp. OK, now I am beginning to get uneasy, because this is my first open water swim, and I am wondering if I'll be able to breathe. Did I mention that the water was quite murky? I was lucky to be able to see my elbow in the water. So now my wave starts, and of course there are people crawling all over each other, so that just kills my "technique". I find some room, and try to start swimming easy, but I just can't do it. A grand total of twice during the swim I took more than about 10 strokes without sighting. Both times, I found myself WAY off course to the right! (Remember, it's a counter-clockwise loop). Crap. So I resorted to an awful lot of breaststroke, but with my head above the water at all times, and a lot of sweet spot back-kicking. The latter was more to calm my nerves than to catch my breath.

Bottom line is that I never felt comfortable in the swim. The murky water, the proximity of the other swimmers, not knowing which direction I was heading and not knowing how far I had swum or had to go all got to me way too much. It still frustrates my two days later! I had swum 500M in the pool in 9:50, and in the race it took me 13:34. No good at all.

So now what? I am going to practice some blind swimming for about 10 minutes each time I go to the pool. I guess the good news is that I will be better prepared for the open water swim next time. But it just kills me that I lost my nerve during the race. RATS. My advice to the gang is to practice in open water if you can before you race in it.

2004-05-10 12:02 PM
in reply to: #23946

User image

Elite Veteran
northern Illinois
Subject: RE: Open Water NIGHTMARE
Oh, bless your heart! I'm sorry it didn't go as well as you'd hoped.

I've done open water swims, but not in a race. I confess that the idea of people swimming over and under me gives me the huge willies, so I totally see how this could happen. I'll take your advice and practice more. Practice more. Practice more.....

Andrea
2004-05-10 12:24 PM

User image

Master
Sonoma County, CA
Tiger Phil,

I read your race report and you ROCKED on the bike and the run...give yourself a pat on the back for those.

When I did my first tri I rocked on the swim and the bike and completley BONKED on the run....we all have our strong spots.

everything you wrote about the swim is true..the gasping for air, getting acclimated, trying to catch your breath, find your rhythm...it's hard and you're right...practice. I've almost panicked out there before and literally had to talk myself down...it's very mental for me.

Be proud of your time, your effort and your race....count back to when you wouldn't have been able to accomplish this, set yourself new goals for your next race and GO FOR IT.

Good Job!

nt
2004-05-10 12:26 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA
I know, I know. I did my first Ocean swim this past weekend. I wondered why I even bothered training for all these past months. My Swimming is decent in the pool. I can swim a continuous mile and have been doing 1K (my first race distance) in 16-17 minutes. Get to the Ocean and wow. Took about 15 minutes just to get through the breakwater. Spent some time realizing how cold it was and figuring out how hard it was to find reference points to aim for. Even after getting used to the cold and how cold it was to put your face in the water, I just couldn't swim. My stroke stayed very compact, I couldn't reach out and glide. Breathing every 3rd stroke was a distant memory. I breathed every time on my right. I would only go a hundred or so meters before treading water.

Hopefully where I swam had much bigger surf than where the races are. A very humbling experience to say the least. I did my run today and got in the pool just to remind myself I can swim. Luckily that went well.

Seeing seals from the shore is neat, when they poke their little heads up a few feet from you in open water - not so neat - Freaked out!
2004-05-10 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I did the same thing. I went to the pool yesterday, and did 5 easy 100's with minimal recovery time (8 breaths) just to reinforce in my mind that I still know how to swim. Good grief, I don't even want to imagine swimming in ocean waves!

I am very pleased with the bike and ok with the run. Overall, I beat my target time, so that is good. It's like shooting an 84 with two triple bogeys. You are glad you shot a low score, but you think, "man, if I could have just made a couple of pars instead!"

2004-05-10 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Sorry to hear that the swim was brutal.  You were brave to go into the ocean at all!  Just keep practicing and it will get better.  Keep us up to date with your progress

Jen

2004-05-10 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
It gets easier. I read that the temp was 74. A little on the cold side. A wet suit can help with that for a price. It can also help you swim a little bit faster. The rest of it you just get used to. Practice as much as you can in the open water, and race as often as possibe. Soon you won't even like the pool anymore.
Good job on the race.
2004-05-10 11:59 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I think what you experienced is fairly common.  Hang in there, because with your bike and run being so solid, the swim will come around and you will be doing fine.  You da man!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Open Water NIGHTMARE Rss Feed